Blake89278

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y'all,

In about 3 months I'll be moving across the country from Knoxville, TN to Denver, CO (1,300 – 1,400 miles). I've got a Red Sea Reefer 170 (43 gal). I feel like it’s going to be much too expensive to restart all of my corals and as a result am looking to move them with me.

The idea:

Build a sort of mobile fish tank that I can take on the road with me.
- Power inverter for vehicle to provide power to the heater and air pump while on the move
- Heavy duty bin with rubber sealed lid
- Small hole drilled in top for heater/air pump while in the car & on the move
- Egg crate dividers to separate live rock from rocks with coral, other coral, and the 3 small fish I have

The plan:

• Break down tank about 4 – 7 days before move and transfer into prepared bin (possibly run skimmer in 5 gal bucket near the setup)
  • Monitor closely and make sure things are working as they should performing small water changes every other day
  • Bin will be divided by egg crate with 2 sections (as of now, may add another)
  • Section 1
  • - Live rock, live rock
  • - 3 turbo snails, a bunch of hermits and any starfish I can find in the sand
  • Section 2
  • - Coral, 2 small clown fish, 1 small purple dottyback
  • - Coral list
  • - Small can colony (about 5 polyps)
  • - Medium sized zoa colony (Eagle Eye)
  • - Medium sized zoa colony (Daisy Cutters)
  • - Frag of 6 magician zoa polyps
  • - GSP rock (medium)
  • - Poker Star monti (medium to small, encrusted on rock)
  • - 2 Medium sized Frogspawns (still on plug, about 5 heads each)
  • - Duncan colony (about 14 heads)
  • - Pulsing xenia (about fist sized, attached to rock)
  • Transfer to vehicle, get the electronics going and hit the road
  • At first hotel stop we will carry the bin inside the room, set up power head to keep some flow going, hook up heater, air pump, perform small water change, (maybe set up skimmer like I said before), (maybe set up light for a while?)
  • After hotel stay transfer back to car and hit the road again. (Potentially two hotel stays during this trip according to how the GF can hold up to the driving)
  • Once arrived at new place, get tank set up and place new sand, live rock and transfer inhabitants and coral into tank.
I’m sure I’m missing a step or two with this quick mock up so please let me know your thoughts!

- Have plenty of egg crate and can add more dividers
- I have a 3D printer and am able to print parts (possible containers for coral or fish); We've already printed a clip to secure the egg crate in place.
- Would like to utilize the printer to print anything that would aid in this process

I know this isn’t impossible and that it will take an incredible amount of work to achieve overcome this endeavor successfully. I’m posting to get any suggestions, tips, ideas, any feedback is accepted.

Thanks y’all!

1647368402575.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, outside of using a tote. While a tote will work, I suggest a cooler. Makes keeping the temp stable and moving into a hotel room easier.

Also, see below for a decent little power filter that I use to bring collected items back from FL. @DiefsReef also used a similar setup with this power filter to make a about a week journey visitng fellow reefers and housing corals for the whole trip.

This filter will also allow you to run a little carbon, just to be on the safe side. They used to have a 40g version which would have worked great for this move, but a single 20g version should be just fine.

Just remove the spray bar and use like a powerhead. I like to turn it sort of sideways, as it will allow for some surface skimming when you do.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter won't support much heater wattage.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my little Reef Cooler (kudos to @Eagle_Steve for the idea) continuously for 4 days without any issues.
I used a 300 Watt (125 watt continuous) car lighter inverter that worked like a champ. It only has one outlet so I bought a heavy duty 1 to 3 splitter to connect the inverter to the pump and heater.
50 watt heater and the above filter mentioned by ES was enough for me. I agree a cooler would be better but if you have to use a tote maybe two for the added insulation it would give.
This filter looks like it might work better for a larger setup;

Make sure to get the water heated up before moving to the vehicle so your heater just has to maintain. It was always the last thing in my truck before pulling out (people included ;))
I didn't do any water changes but the sponge filter has a cavity so I added carbon to help with any warfare.
I had the filter right at the water level to not only provide flow but agitation for air exchange. I put filter floss in the lid/plug hole to help catch splashes and filter the air a little.
After the 1st night in the hotel, I moved the cooler to the bathroom so I could shut the door due to noise :cool:

Just used it again the other day for a club frag swap..

20220312_185921.jpg
20220201_205309.jpg

20220201_205243.jpg
20220201_205222.jpg

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sloshing is a problem so a cooler with a gasketed lid should help.

I bought one of these pre-pandemic for $65 (seems the going rate is $90 today) for the few times I take fish to the vet but haven't had to use it yet. The air pump isn't very good so I'd substitute a different one.

1647459688168.png

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fire sure go with a cooler not the tote. I moved my saltwater plus a bunch of large Koi a few years ago when I moved to Alabama and I used battery poweeed air pumps along with heaters on power inverter. But I used coolers to keep water temp stable. If you get into summer keeping water cool will be the challenge

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back