Do I need two power heads in a nano?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Red Sea max nano that’s a very mixed reef. Right now I have the stock pump and one Nero 3 powehead on 20-60% facing different directions. Should I get a second Nero 3? I don’t like the look of so much of the glass being blocked and the cost is a factor. Also worried about too much flow bothering my other corals like my goniopora. Anyone have strong thoughts? About to add a four pack of acros and already have some other large sps that’s doing well but not acros is the reason I’m considering adding another

OP
OP
adsf430

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I do but it seems a lot of people think you still need one powerhead on each side. And I think I have enough flow but possibly not for acros

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a traditional return, just a very low power cannister filter that functions more like a media reactor. In my case I put two nero 3s in order to get flow around the whole tank. With just one nero, I found quite a few dead spots around the tank.

i would figure out if you need the extra flow before adding another powerhead. Do you notice you have any dead spots?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
highly doubt that you need it but it can definitely help to randomize the flow more so there isnt any dead spots as @afrokobe mentioned

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I do but it seems a lot of people think you still need one powerhead on each side. And I think I have enough flow but possibly not for acros
Pretty small tank for a lot of wave action; maybe consider a random flow generator nozzle for return pump outlet - minimizes linear flow which is a plus for many species of coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back