Do these look like bite marks to you?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just receieved 9 corals in and the last coral had what appeared to be bite marks. I cut all frags off and remounted to my plugs. They are still dipping now but nothing has come off except copepods. I did see what appeared to be a red bug but it could have been just coral remnants from shipping. It was a 9 pack for just over $100. Would you toss the whole pack? I really don't want to risk my system but also would hate to toss frags.

One that appears to have bite marks.
20211130_115346.jpg
20211130_115333.jpg

I don't see these marks on other pieces.

Any help while their dipping would be appreciated.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like AEWF bite marks to me. If you don't have a QT for corals it might not be worth the risk.
If you are going to keep them, removing the plug is not good enough. You need to cut them above the flesh line to make sure there are no eggs. You can cover that area with glue, but that seems more risky than just cutting them back to the live area only, and discard the rest.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like AEWF bite marks to me. If you don't have a QT for corals it might not be worth the risk.
If you are going to keep them, removing the plug is not good enough. You need to cut them above the flesh line to make sure there are no eggs. You can cover that area with glue, but that seems more risky than just cutting them back to the live area only, and discard the rest.

That is what I thought as well. We all take risks with corals but it's kinda hard when it's actually on a frag you can see. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze here. I am going to toss them. I have many collectable pieces in my tank and I don't want to risk them over $100. Sucks because they were some old school pieces and I love the old school pieces!

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's a bummer. It's a good reason to keep a frag tank - even if it's small (and separate from the main system). I would rather fight pests there than in the display. AEFW are really not that hard to get rid of, it just takes a committed dipping schedule. The frag/QT tank is the best place to do this.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's a bummer. It's a good reason to keep a frag tank - even if it's small (and separate from the main system). I would rather fight pests there than in the display. AEFW are really not that hard to get rid of, it just takes a committed dipping schedule. The frag/QT tank is the best place to do this.

I agree. I always tell myself to set one up. I currently have a frag tank but it's connected to the main system. I really need to set up a quarantine system. Maybe I will make that my next project.... :oops:

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like bite marks to me too. They take a while to heal and the old owner could have dipped them before they sent them.

That is possible. I ended up tossing the pack. Sucks because I have wanted to place an order with them for a while. Has a lot of old school pieces for good prices. Oh well, I can't win them all.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back