Do you have acros with zero polyp extension?

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have an acro that has zero polyp extension, and survive / thrive long term? Or is no polyp extension always a sign of an issue that needs correction? Anyone have sps that never shows polyps and has lived for a long time?

My situation:
I'm coming up on three weeks since adding some new frags from a Battlebox. As mentioned in a prior thread, 1 of the 6 melted in less than 24 hours, I still don't know why. 4 of them have been doing fantastic since they were put in the tank. Polyps out right away, and I can see encrusting growth on the frag plug already. The last frag of the bunch is still alive, it's actually noticeably grown (encrusting growth on the frag plug), but I have yet to see a single polyp. I've checked multiple times in the middle of the night, and it's not extended then either. It's a nano tank, and I only have three fish - 2 clowns and a gramma - so no nipping. I've never caught my crabs picking at any corals (doesn't mean it's not happening - but I'm pretty sure it's not). So, what's the deal? Is it still too early - give it time? Should I move it because no polyps=bad? Or is this fine - some sps just never show polyps ever (I don't think this is true, but I dunno).

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have an acro that has zero polyp extension, and survive / thrive long term? Or is no polyp extension always a sign of an issue that needs correction? Anyone have sps that never shows polyps and has lived for a long time?

My situation:
I'm coming up on three weeks since adding some new frags from a Battlebox. As mentioned in a prior thread, 1 of the 6 melted in less than 24 hours, I still don't know why. 4 of them have been doing fantastic since they were put in the tank. Polyps out right away, and I can see encrusting growth on the frag plug already. The last frag of the bunch is still alive, it's actually noticeably grown (encrusting growth on the frag plug), but I have yet to see a single polyp. I've checked multiple times in the middle of the night, and it's not extended then either. It's a nano tank, and I only have three fish - 2 clowns and a gramma - so no nipping. I've never caught my crabs picking at any corals (doesn't mean it's not happening - but I'm pretty sure it's not). So, what's the deal? Is it still too early - give it time? Should I move it because no polyps=bad? Or is this fine - some sps just never show polyps ever (I don't think this is true, but I dunno).

What Acro is it? A smoothie?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suffer the same pretty much. My systems are old/large/stable and grow acros very rapidly but without PE. I have whined about this many times, but never really got much feedback about why that is the case. There are a very few exceptions to this, but not many. Here is a Walt Disney frag I bought at MACNA Orlando in 2019. Grows like mad; limited PE. I have seen countless picture of shag all over this species.

IMG-5324.jpg

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Acro is it? A smoothie?
Which one is it? I have a BC Julius Lightning frag that is the same, no polyp at all.
It was labelled "BC set for stun" and here's a picture. It's the purpley blue one on the left. It has holes at the tip - not as large holes as all my others though. But I don't think it's a smoothie, but maybe I'm wrong /shrug. This picture isn't from today, but the acro in question looks the same. In contrast - the one on the right (and all my others - INCLUDING the Julius Lightning) are fuzzy as heck.

B3AEEA48-2990-4F0E-AAF0-AB36E81736FF.jpeg

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suffer the same pretty much. My systems are old/large/stable and grow acros very rapidly but without PE. I have whined about this many times, but never really got much feedback about why that is the case. There are a very few exceptions to this, but not many. Here is a Walt Disney frag I bought at MACNA Orlando in 2019. Grows like mad; limited PE. I have seen countless picture of shag all over this species.

IMG-5324.jpg
I mean it still looks cool! But yes, that doesn't look as fuzzy as the usual pictures of Walt Disneys.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was labelled "BC set for stun" and here's a picture. It's the purpley blue one on the left. It has holes at the tip - not as large holes as all my others though. But I don't think it's a smoothie, but maybe I'm wrong /shrug. This picture isn't from today, but the acro in question looks the same. In contrast - the one on the right (and all my others - INCLUDING the Julius Lightning) are fuzzy as heck.

Ok, that looks a lot like my RRC Shazam and yes, it's fine, but it will take some time for it to be happy enough to show its polyps at the tips. I moved my Shazam once and it got knocked off another time and it responds slowly after that.
Give it some time and it'll be fine.

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because pics and vids are more fun!

NOT Fuzzy - acro in question.

Fuzzy - Added same time, same location

Super Fuzzy! - I know, cheating. It's a millie, but added same day and it's cool.

One from the prior battlebox - it's neat and just for fun!

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that looks a lot like my RRC Shazam and yes, it's fine, but it will take some time for it to be happy enough to show its polyps at the tips. I moved my Shazam once and it got knocked off another time and it responds slowly after that.
Give it some time and it'll be fine.
Oh! They do look very similar! That's great news. It tells me to leave it alone and let it do it's thing. THANK YOU!

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Especially with “reef safe” angels. once I place frags in the fish-free frag tank after a month or so PE comes back. The display pieces still grow and otherwise look good aside from little to no PE.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Especially with “reef safe” angels. once I place frags in the fish-free frag tank after a month or so PE comes back. The display pieces still grow and otherwise look good aside from little to no PE.
Are you suggesting my coral beauty could be guilty of such a thing?

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow granulosa that is still colored after a month or so but no polyp. Then I have a miyago tort with no polyp and some bleaching. I have no clue whats my problem. All parameters are stable NOW that I have an all for reef doser and test alk daily. my LPS are all huge and grow like mad tho.

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update on this thread. The coral in question has finally poked out a few polyps. Took almost a month to settle in from the move. Still growing, no issues. Corals are weird sometimes….

Lost a bigger established frag - dunno why. But this guy seems happy.

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto for me. Going on 3 weeks now. Same with my Gilded Lightning
My Guilded Lightning has looked great from the beginning. The polyps aren't scruffy - more like a single strand. But those strands are long and extended, and as far as I can tell - it's doing great. Funny how the exact same frag reacts so different in each tank.

I will say though, I hope this frag continues to do well. It's a stunner. Everytime I try to put yellow in my tank - it turns into that greenish yellow (with more green than yellow) that's all too common. While I'm seeing color changes in the other frags now - the yellow on this one still pops and hasn't changed. It'll be a showpiece if I can keep it alive and colored up.

/fingers crossed

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BC Set for Stun is a smoothie and won’t have crazy PE - mine is the same way. At night it polyps are out more.

Back