Do you have Velvet?

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased fish twice this year, once in May and again in late December of 2016. BOTH lots got wiped out by velvet. Like an idiot I tried TTM on my Anthias because surely the distributors have worked things out by now right? Nope, got Velvet, total QT wipeout.

It's so disheartening, it's soooo frustrating and it just hurts to watch them going through that.

Have you experienced velvet in your recent fish purchases? Can anything be done on the distribution and then LFS levels? Is TTM or taking the wait and see approach even possible anymore? Should the recommended approach just be blast 'em with CP or copper until this can get figured out?

Maybe it's just me and my bad luck?

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started getting asked here but looks like it was dropped, If Marine Velvet is a Dinoflaggelate, and h202 kills dinos, shouldn't we attempt to treat with h202 and see if it would work? I lost my last Anthias about an hour ago or I think I would have tried it as a last resort. Anyone tried it and possibly had any success?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the LFS I work at we put all the fish we can in our copper system because of this. I haven't seen a problem with the few fish that end up in the other systems, but those are typically fish with thick slime coats. I think starting with TTM is a fine choice. In your case, you were QTing delicate species that are certainly not easy. Please dont' get disheartened. Finding a new source of fish might do some good as well.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the LFS I work at we put all the fish we can in our copper system because of this. I haven't seen a problem with the few fish that end up in the other systems, but those are typically fish with thick slime coats. I think starting with TTM is a fine choice. In your case, you were QTing delicate species that are certainly not easy. Please dont' get disheartened. Finding a new source of fish might do some good as well.
Thanks for that. I have a few others also helping to keep my spirits up. This truly was agonizing though. I feel like I'm in a much better spot to help these fish out then others are and I was still pretty powerless over it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I have a few others also helping to keep my spirits up. This truly was agonizing though. I feel like I'm in a much better spot to help these fish out then others are and I was still pretty powerless over it.

It can be very frustrating I know. Keep your head up! ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back