Do You Keep CUC in the Sump of Your AIO?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if people ever have CUC in the sumps of their AIO?
I have a JBJ45 I've noticed quite a bit of algae growth back there and a lot of it is really hard to get to to clean out.

The only concern I could think of was them making their way to where a return pump or the skimmer was, but I wasn't sure.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dumped snails, ministars and pods in the back chambers of mine. Also, I have found baby Cerith and Trochus snails in the back. I assume the eggs from adults went through the overflow and hatched back there. Never had any issue, but of course the return and ATO sensor would be things to watch out for. Mine is a JBJ 45 Flat Panel.

_highland_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep a few peppermint shrimp in my AIO sump after they took a taste to a Duncans! Was nice having them in there scanvenging, but eventually both were hoovered up by skimmer... scary sounds!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same question. I have a large build up of detritus in my sump. I try to siphon it out at water changes but my siphon sucks.. actually is doesn't which is the problem ;Hilarious . I was wondering about putting a CUC in the sump to help with it.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put sponges on all my returns so I can put CUC in my sumps and including my AIO. I use my AIO as my coral and invert QT. I do take everything out of the 'sump' of my AIO once a quarter and vacuum the back out. If I dont, I notice my nitrates will rise.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also banished peppermints back there a few times in the larger aio but for the smaller 8-15 gallon ones, whatever makes its way back there usually stays back there. Unless it’s stomatella then I move them back to the display. I’ve had bristles, nerite, Ceriths all make their way back there at one point or another. Even banished a crab or two back there. I’m lucky I don’t have buildup or anything back there so I don’t have a need for cuc. If your tank is new, this will go away. If it’s not new, try angling/moving or replacing lights so it’s not shining into the sump area.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is prison for those who misbehave !! So yes I have put some cuc in sump
Hes working w no sump, all in one. He doesnt have a prison, he has chopped up cells and passageways. LoL

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back