Do you quarantine?

Do you quarantine?

• Yes, no medicine

• No, just drop em in.

• No, but I observe fish prior to putting them in and do my best to maintain a healthy environment

• Yes, with medicine.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did, I would observe fish and make sure they eat. After a velvet outbreak I will qt moving foward and medicate

I feel like velvet is one of the main reasons people do. Wouldn’t this hobby be so much better without disease? Gah!

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observe them at the shop and drop 'em in the tank. 20+ years later I'm doing pretty well (had something wipe out a tank around '96-97 but not sure what).

Impressive.. ‘96-‘97 is out of statute of limitations. As far as I’m concerned you’ve been 100% successful haha

Jpimienta91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like velvet is one of the main reasons people do. Wouldn’t this hobby be so much better without disease? Gah!

What makes it hard is most LFS medicate there fish to hide any diseases and are usually not in there long enough to kill whatever parasite they have. A week passes by and they throw in more fish into there system. At this point it’s safe to say all lfs fish have something and it’s up to the consumer to act accordingly. 15 years ago I did not QT or would ever think about it just feed.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes it hard is most LFS medicate there fish to hide any diseases and are usually not in there long enough to kill whatever parasite they have. A week passes by and they throw in more fish into there system. At this point it’s safe to say all lfs fish have something and it’s up to the consumer to act accordingly. 15 years ago I did not QT or would ever think about it just feed.

Don’t forget the trade ins... who knows what the fish have that people trade to LFS

Jpimienta91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget the trade ins... who knows what the fish have that people trade to LFS

Yup! I’ve seen lfs dump trade in fish directly into there display without even Temp acclimating. I don’t blame or knock them. They operate a business not a hospital!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up for a month now and no fish as of yet. But when I do introduce fish I won't be quarantining. Not because I don't want to, but because it's impossible, at this point, to have a QT: I've pushed my limits in the house with the tank, ro/di water system and other equipment. I'm going to try my best to follow Paul b.'s method... but it makes it more difficult with a new system.

The other option I am considering is buying my fish from Aqua Locker (which I am planning to do regardless) and have them quarantine for 45 days. I know it's not perfect, but my options are limited.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up for a month now and no fish as of yet. But when I do introduce fish I won't be quarantining. Not because I don't want to, but because it's impossible, at this point, to have a QT: I've pushed my limits in the house with the tank, ro/di water system and other equipment. I'm going to try my best to follow Paul b.'s method... but it makes it more difficult with a new system.

The other option I am considering is buying my fish from Aqua Locker (which I am planning to do regardless) and have them quarantine for 45 days. I know it's not perfect, but my options are limited.

Nothing wrong with that method. Personally, i only buy from reputable sources and observe before putting them in. I did get flukes once, so i may start doing a FW dip for now on, but that’s wasn’t too bad getting rid of. Other than the one time getting flukes, I’ve never had issues

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You either fully commit to QT/treatment or you dont bother, there is no in between.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with that method. Personally, i just be sure to only buy from reputable sources and observe putting them in. I did get flukes once, so i may start doing a FW dip for now on, but that’s wasn’t too bad getting rid of

I'm only looking at 2 sources for my fish and corals. AquaLocker as i previously said, and PacificEastAquaculture--I can actually drive and pick up my stuff from PEA. PEA has a great reputation and I will probably get all of my corals from them to start, and my most expensive fish--a pair of designer clowns.

P.S. I actually started preparing myself for a complete crash.;Hilarious

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only looking at 2 sources for my fish and corals. AquaLocker as i previously said, and PacificEastAquaculture--I can actually drive and pick up my stuff from PEA. PEA has a great reputation and I will probably get all of my corals from them to start, and my most expensive fish--a pair of designer clowns.

P.S. I actually started preparing myself for a complete crash.;Hilarious

The only thing I’m really nervous for is velvet. I feel even with ich that after you understand the parasite well enough, it’s not nearly as bad as i thought it was when i first started the hobby. outbreaks are a thing of the past and now i focus on the fish’s health way more than i used to

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I’m really nervous for is velvet. I feel even with ich that after you understand the parasite well enough, it’s not nearly as bad as i thought it was when i first started the hobby.

I agree. I've done a lot of reading and velvet is the scary one. I'm not putting thousands of dollars of fish and corals in my tank. I'm taking it very slowly--one fish and one coral at a time--and see what happens.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back