OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... added this and someone already made it their home.

20201107_093625.jpg
SmartSelect_20201107-094256_Gallery.jpg

NoVa Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks sir. I had a Varios 8 but with nothing running off the manifold, it was over kill. Now that I have both manifold spots running off the cor20, I'm having to run it at 90% to keep everything happy. I have no real reference points besides optimal GPH for dual random flow nozzles is around 850-900. So right off the bat, you're looking at 40%. Account for head loss... and I would say the pump needs to run at 55% to achieve the 850-900. I am now running a dual GFO and carbon reactor. With the valves wide open and optimal GFO tumbling, I had to raise the it to about 70%. Then I added the UV. 1,600 GPH is apparently the optimal flow rate for effective control of fish disease. I added the UV just to experiment. I have no current issues. But even if I wanted to shoot for 500-750 GPH, My guess was setting my return to 90%. More than I ever like to run a piece of equipment. Long story short, I would go with a Varios 8... especially if you go with a bigger tank. I'll report if I noticed any difference since adding the UV. I have the Apex Flow Monitor kit, just been to lazy to install it. That would allow me to 100% dial in flow rate. Maybe some day.

As for Red Sea vs Waterbox? Red Sea is an extremely shady company with the handling of their current tank problems. I won't support that company ever again. Look around for threads. I'll leave it at that.

I am happy with my Waterbox. I got a keeper tank on my 4th try. One heck of a story, but I won't go into detail because I just don't care. Waterbox handled the problem, just wish it was handled in a way where I didn't feel like a nuisance.

My suggestion is to try to see both side by side. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I am very happy with my 230.6 (now 220). The extra size of the 900xl is definitely appealing. Just depends on your budget and where you plan to put it. If Red Sea weren't a crappy company I would suggest the 900xl just because of its size.
I just came across your build thread. Beautiful tank! I just set up my waterbox 220.6 last week. I see you used to use a Varios 8 for your return pump. That is the one I am currently running. Just curious what setting you were running at. I feel like I have to run at the lowest setting to keep the sound of water through the sump as quiet as possible and water level in display tank down but am a newbie so am not sure if I have it dialed in properly.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across your build thread. Beautiful tank! I just set up my waterbox 220.6 last week. I see you used to use a Varios 8 for your return pump. That is the one I am currently running. Just curious what setting you were running at. I feel like I have to run at the lowest setting to keep the sound of water through the sump as quiet as possible and water level in display tank down but am a newbie so am not sure if I have it dialed in properly.

The Varios 8 is too big. You'll need to run it on the lowest setting. I switched to a Cor20 because I have an Apex setup. I suggest you utilize the manifold to run a reactor or UV. Then you'll be fine. Maybe run it at second to lowest setting. I am using both ports on my manifold on and my cor 20 is running at 100%. It's rated for 2000 gph. So the varios 8 in my current situation would be perfect.

NoVa Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Varios 8 is too big. You'll need to run it on the lowest setting. I switched to a Cor20 because I have an Apex setup. I suggest you utilize the manifold to run a reactor or UV. Then you'll be fine. Maybe run it at second to lowest setting. I am using both ports on my manifold on and my cor 20 is running at 100%. It's rated for 2000 gph. So the varios 8 in my current situation would be perfect.
Thanks! Sorry I just went back to beginning of your build and see now that you had explained this early on. Good to have confirmation. I do not have anything on the manifold yet so will keep on lowest setting. Had been running on setting 2 but felt like it was too noisy in the sump at that setting. I have the same skimmer as you as well (installed but not running yet). Looks like you had to raise it up so I may look at getting that kit you used. I definitely may try your idea of using filter cups with floss pads. I am over these filter socks already. I only have the two that came with tank and that felt sock clogs every day or two and has to be washed and the trickling noise in the first sock chamber is too loud even onlowest setting.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome!

Where are your nutrients at the moment?

I was running higher nutrients. I got bored and started messing with things. I wanted to play around with coloring so I slowly ramped up to .1-.15 phosphates and 20-30 nitrates. Although I did see an improvement in coloring, some of my picky SPS weren't happy. It wasn't worth the risk so I just recently ramped back down to .02-.05 phosphates and 5-10 nitrates. So I expect chaeto growth to slow down a bit.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick summary on things and changes since I started my tank.

- I run my UV 24/7 now. Before I was running 12 on and 12 off. It was just killing the life of my bulb. They say each time you turn it on and off, it shortens its life by 6 hours! I have not noticed a positive or negative between schedules yet.
- Alk - 8.0
- Calc 440
- Mag 1400
- Nitrates 5-10
- Phosphates .02-.05
- Temp 77.7-78.3
- PH 8.2-8.5 - This is my normal PH. I live 100 feet from the ocean, and it sure does help.
- Automatic water change - 3 gallons every night, so 1.5% on a 200 gallon total water system.
- 15-20% water change every 2 months
- 4x Radion G4 Pros w/ diffusers, running at a max of 50% peak for 5 hours, with ramp up and ramp down. A modified ab+ schedule.
- Switched to Aquaforest salt

radion schedule.jpg

apex.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back