Dosing with Peroxide for Marine Velvet

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :(

Hard to say how long for the rock after the H2O2 dosing. Normally the 76 day fallow period to starve out any parasites ich and velvet a bit shorter.

Any chance you know the protocol regarding items that have been in contact with a velvet infected tank / fish? I have a net and a specimen box that I need to use tonight for some coral dips.

Rinse with hot water? Or do I need to sanitize?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you know the protocol regarding items that have been in contact with a velvet infected tank / fish? I have a net and a specimen box that I need to use tonight for some coral dips.

Rinse with hot water? Or do I need to sanitize?
Bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse, and then completely dry.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread again to report that I'm going to experiment further with this method. We have some unknown parasite in our DT, only two deaths so far that may or may not be the result of Prazi sensitivity and or a bacterial infection on a dottyback that has been ruthlessly bullied by a six line that is otherwise a model citizen.

Fish have displayed the characteristic behavioral symptoms of velvet over the past month, which can be attributed to a number of other possible stressors. At this point, we may just be looking at Crypto and a possible bacterial infection on the occasional fish, or worst case scenario we are dealing with temporary immunity to velvet or brook.

We only have one QT. Since treatment with CP (which I have in hand) requires transfer to a sterile tank after the fact, my plan now is to follow the H2O2 protocol while the DT runs fallow for 12 weeks. 30 days before fallow period is over, I will do a black Molly test in the QT, and I will start CP treatment with the CP I have in hand if H2O2 only managed whatever parasite may be present.

This long term H2O2 treatment will hopefully ensure parasites are eradicated, be gentler on the fish than CP or copper, and will allow us to transfer into a clean DT, rather than tracking down yet another QT.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks in to peroxide dosing. Since this is being done in a hospital tank, I upped the dosage to 3 1/3 mL of drugstore 3% peroxide per ten gallons of water. This comes out to 10mL for a 30 gallon tank.

I am actually continuing to run peroxide dosing while running moderate hypo. HT is currently sitting at 14ppt. My hope is that the combination of hypo and peroxide will minimize stress for the fish (as hypo is widely believed to minimize work fish have to do to maintain osmotic balance), and increase stress on protazoan parasites. Though hypo alone won't kill velvet, I wonder if hypo will stress velvet out enough to make it more susceptible to peroxide. (Un?) Fortunately, our fishes' survival up to this point seems to suggest velvet is not a likely contributor to the symptoms we have seen.

I think given the history, we are likely seeing some combination of crypto and or flukes. Possibly brook, which would be a worthwhile candidate for peroxide treatment.

I ceased antibiotic treatment as the only fish presenting with bacterial symptoms were subjected to abnormal stressors.

Our yellow eye kole tang is acting somewhat erratic. He became rather twitchy in the past couple of days as the salinity dropped. Unsure if this means treatment is working, treatment is not working, or if he is upset that other fish are in his territory since he was first into QT. He responded violently to prazipro when I tried that in the DT a month ago, so it would seem that he may be something or a drama queen or otherwise more infested than anyone else.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back