Dr Tim’s Cycle

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar nitrite readings after 35 days cycling so did a 50% water change. Nitrites still read off the chart and didn’t drop over the next 7 days so I dumped in a bottle of bacteria and overnight they went to 0.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI Chewy has a sale
Dr. Tim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Reef Aquarium
  • Price 2oz
    $3.77
  • Price 8oz
    $23.64

OP
OP
Rollman

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not budging. Anyone save your money. What is he even a Dr of except charging money and having a cycle last forever lol

884458A3-EB75-4163-8136-01CDA3A45A49.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not budging. Anyone save your money. What is he even a Dr of except charging money and having a cycle last forever lol

884458A3-EB75-4163-8136-01CDA3A45A49.jpeg
I see this stuff on sale on all the sites and I assume thats because its getting old, once the bacteria eats up the ammonia in the bottle its game over. Where did you buy yours?

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you followed the directions correctly? I have used Dr. Tim's 4 times and had my tank cycled in 2 weeks with no problems. http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

It can be a little confusing for first time users. I'm thinking you could have added the 2nd or 3rd dose of ammonia too soon and there is not enough good bacteria yet to continue the nitrogen cycle.

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely! I personally think DrTims is bottled water. On my most recent tank setup I waited 4 weeks and was still having high nitrite. I added BioSpira and the cycle was then done in 3 days. I will not be using DrTims again. It’s done this on 3 different new systems I’ve set up. Just my personal experience.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely! I personally think DrTims is bottled water. On my most recent tank setup I waited 4 weeks and was still having high nitrite. I added BioSpira and the cycle was then done in 3 days. I will not be using DrTims again. It’s done this on 3 different new systems I’ve set up. Just my personal experience.

My exact experience this week too!

OP
OP
Rollman

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you followed the directions correctly? I have used Dr. Tim's 4 times and had my tank cycled in 2 weeks with no problems. http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

It can be a little confusing for first time users. I'm thinking you could have added the 2nd or 3rd dose of ammonia too soon and there is not enough good bacteria yet to continue the nitrogen cycle.

Thanks. Yes I’m certain I used correctly, it’s pretty simple actually. Add whole bottle of dr t fake bacteria and dose ammonia. Haven’t dosed anything else since. Things have moved except nitrites.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to prove your tank is cycled and dr Tim’s is not fake, we have a way. All you have to agree to is a full water change, take and post an ammonia reading thereafter and we know it’s zero due to the full change. then redose liquid ammonium chloride until the tester shows 1/2 ppm ammonia or the slightest free ammonia change it can register, do not dose to 2 ppm. First increment of change, stop.

Retest ammonia in 24 hours it’s back to calibrated zero reading above and you are cycled. Nitrite doesn’t factor in reef tank cycling, you are tracking the wrong measure.

I’m aware the directions mention nitrite, but caribsea sand also says you don’t have to pre rinse it and I’ve got a thousand people that say you do have to :)

Your tank is cycled, if you want to run that calibrated zero test above we will link your thread to the several others we collect in the microbiology of cycling thread

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I’m totally sure your tank is cycled, this is going off submersion time and boosters not the approximation tests. Change your water and it’s ready, that was a lot of starting ammonia/feed if it was back sept 4th. It’s already oxidized it down...proof of active bac.
Ammonia converting bac seat it really fast, the thread from Dr Reef shows. Any movement down of ammonia in your tank from sept 4th till now is literally the submersion time+ booster proofing from the cycling thread.

OP
OP
Rollman

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to prove your tank is cycled and dr Tim’s is not fake, we have a way. All you have to agree to is a full water change, take and post an ammonia reading thereafter and we know it’s zero due to the full change. then redose liquid ammonium chloride until the tester shows 1/2 ppm ammonia or the slightest free ammonia change it can register, do not dose to 2 ppm. First increment of change, stop.

Retest ammonia in 24 hours it’s back to calibrated zero reading above and you are cycled. Nitrite doesn’t factor in reef tank cycling, you are tracking the wrong measure.

If you dosed bottle bac and ammonia on sept 4th and if you aren’t testing wastewater with a kit unable to measure wastewater compounds correctly it’ll show cycled.

Another way to show it’s cycled, add a fish and it doesn’t die. Don’t add him to wastewater, change out the starting block break in oil for new.

cycle ump #314 from the microbiology of cycling thread :)

Thanks. I’ll try that. Just weird I’m tracking the wrong measure now. Before it’s when nitrites turn to nitrates it’s done ? I have done this before, just warning fellow members to save the hundo. I would be at the same place with a dead shrimp.

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed dr tims one and only and his ammonia 10 days ago and my ammonia has been 8+ppm since. I believe the dosage on the ammonia is incorrect as I am 4x the ppm I wanted. Do I ride it out or should I do a water change? Don’t mind it lasting longer but do not want excessive nitrates in the end.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used the new version that specifies 4 drops per gallon and that gave me about 2ppm. Sounds like you got a pretty weak batch of Dr. Tims. Always wondered what conditions those cultures can survive - like hot mailboxes in the summer, etc. I'd tell BRS about you experience.

M1ke1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys -
Thanks ! I’m in no rush at all was just curious of others experience and avoid overdosing lol I was planning on 6 weeks. And yes I also used a bottle of Dr T one and only
I recently cycled a 220g tank after one week with Dr. Tim’s One and Only and live rocks. I agree that it takes time for bacteria to reproduce. Fishes are added slowly.

OP
OP
Rollman

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed dr tims one and only and his ammonia 10 days ago and my ammonia has been 8+ppm since. I believe the dosage on the ammonia is incorrect as I am 4x the ppm I wanted. Do I ride it out or should I do a water change? Don’t mind it lasting longer but do not want excessive nitrates in the end.

That is too high imo. That’s the other thing about Tim who is not a dr, the new dosing for ammonia seems incorrect.

nimrod19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 0.2 cents, with my last build, Dr Tim's did not seem to work for me. Ordered it off Amazon, added it and dosed ammonia. 3 weeks later, still ammonia and nitrite. So I dumped a bottle of Bio Spira. 2 weeks I later, I can process the ammonia overnight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back