Dry Rock in Quarantine

ReforgeBlade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im putting together a full time 40 breeder to have as a quarantine for new fish and to treat any sick fish. So I’m curious to know how many people keep a full time hospital tank/ Quarantine tank and do you keep dry/ cycled rock in it. Or do you keep some sort of sponge filter to house the beneficial bacteria?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im putting together a full time 40 breeder to have as a quarantine for new fish and to treat any sick fish. So I’m curious to know how many people keep a full time hospital tank/ Quarantine tank and do you keep dry/ cycled rock in it. Or do you keep some sort of sponge filter to house the beneficial bacteria?

I avoid using calcium based rocks or substrate in my QT as that interferes with copper medications. I like to run a couple of good sponge filters (like the old Tetra brand dual sponges) in the sump of my DT and then have them ready to use any time I need to set up a QT.

OP
OP
ReforgeBlade

ReforgeBlade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response that’s good to know. I plan on running copper on a coral beauty and an aptasia file fish. I’m currently doing just some basic sponge on a hob filter with a 150 watt heater a air stone and a small sicce wave maker

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back