OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add any of these hermits crabs/ snails until you have built up some algae for them to eat, altough they do eat scraps and supplements the survival rate in a new/ clean aquarium is poor.
Maybe wait until your aquarium is more matured (I cycled my aquriam empty for 8 months) and then clean up crew (cuc) when you have enough algae for them to graze on

I have Dwarf red legged, Dwarf blue legged, electric blue, Halloween hermit, various snails and various crabs (cuc)

Besides algae for them to eat/graze you need to also provide plenty of shells/ new homes... This will help with aggression towards each other :)

I don't think you should introduce any cuc at this stage of your aquarium :)
That is a good point and my tank is so new. I am supplying the food right now and hoping that the algae with start here soon for them. I hope I don't lose any. I didn't know about the extra shells that is great advice. Do you order them off line or where did you get yours?

OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add any of these hermits crabs/ snails until you have built up some algae for them to eat, altough they do eat scraps and supplements the survival rate in a new/ clean aquarium is poor.
Maybe wait until your aquarium is more matured (I cycled my aquriam empty for 8 months) and then clean up crew (cuc) when you have enough algae for them to graze on

I have Dwarf red legged, Dwarf blue legged, electric blue, Halloween hermit, various snails and various crabs (cuc)

Besides algae for them to eat/graze you need to also provide plenty of shells/ new homes... This will help with aggression towards each other :)

I don't think you should introduce any cuc at this stage of your aquarium :)
Your tank looks amazing

OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. My tank is 2 months old and I'm finally seeing a little bit of fuzz on a few rocks. I'm going to seed some pods now since they finally have a little bit to eat
Im hoping I don't have any die but if I do it will be because I was rushing everything too much. I should have posted before adding them and saw what everyone opinion was on the subject.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice and the support. I will definitely introduce the light slow. Do you have a height that worked with these lights for you? This forum has been the best.
To be honest I'm still working on it, currently at about 10inch above water level, I have only started introduction of fish and corals from Nov/dec and only adjust their position instead of light intensity

Attachments

• 16592090508733219863701111010249.jpg
    16592090508733219863701111010249.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I'm still working on it, currently at about 10inch above water level, I have only started introduction of fish and corals from Nov/dec and only adjust their position instead of light intensity
I like the hanging setup instead of going from the ceiling. I will keep following you to see how it goes.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point and my tank is so new. I am supplying the food right now and hoping that the algae with start here soon for them. I hope I don't lose any. I didn't know about the extra shells that is great advice. Do you order them off line or where did you get yours?
eBay, £2 for approximately 10 maybe 20 various size shells (small), my Halloween hermit is carrying a 1 inch shell so last purchase was £5 for 3 shells but better to provide option then not.

You can provide hermits some kind of invertebrate pellets along with seaweed on a clip if you have already added, at least until your algae growth starts :)

Attachments

• IMG20220730203136.jpg
    IMG20220730203136.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also dosed with
eBay, £2 for approximately 10 maybe 20 various size shells (small), my Halloween hermit is carrying a 1 inch shell so last purchase was £5 for 3 shells but better to provide option then not.

You can provide hermits some kind of invertebrate pellets along with seaweed on a clip if you have already added, at least until your algae growth starts :)
Oh nice I am going to look up shells now and get them headed this way. I added phytoplankton, algae wafers, and hermit crab pellets. Hopefully this keeps everyone happy until I have algae growing for them. I need to look up the seaweed clip as well that is a good idea.

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is mine at 2 months. DIY sump, I just wanted to get as much out of display as possible. Tried painting back but it just peeled.

OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is mine at 2 months. DIY sump, I just wanted to get as much out of display as possible. Tried painting back but it just peeled.
Oh wow that looks amazing, great job. I love how organized it is. I used this for the back

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I was looking for a paint alternative and didn’t come up with to much. I didn’t look too hard though.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two vipars on a 55 running 50 blue 8 white.
Can I ask to confirm, 50 blue and 8 white?
I'm unsure where to start with questions?
how long have you had these settings and why this low on whites and to me why so high on blues please

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was running 65 blue and 15 white, local reefer said be careful with these lights, more white will cause more algae. Been running current settings 6 weeks, ran first settings 2 weeks, I finished cycling livestock soon.
Lights are 10 inches above water, corals need blue light to grow.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was running 65 blue and 15 white, local reefer said be careful with these lights, more white will cause more algae. Been running current settings 6 weeks, ran first settings 2 weeks, I finished cycling livestock soon.
loads of information here, I think only a small amount on these vispectra lights, thanks for sharing:)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close but no cigar, without getting into depth in your aquarium.... Which will follow, these lights are definitely worth starting from bottom upwards:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back