Ecotech Radion G6?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had HUGE success with my first DIY LED system over a decade ago: 1/3 blue, royal blue and white. It sees they're just adding bells and whistles anymore.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals under G5s.
pop rave GIF

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, that's how LEDs are manufactured, at least the LED emitters used in reef lighting (UV maybe no so much). Without primary lenses, the emitter is exposed to the salt air, dust, etc. Primary lenses produce a net gain in light and make LEDs more efficient. None of the emitters used in reef lighting are purpose built for the companies who use them. If they were, there would be no reason to use secondary lenses, because the primaries would be manufactured to meet the needs of the Ecotech's lights.

Secondary lenses refocus the light from the diode and primary lens into a new beam. This is not a new concept.

After watching Jake's "detailed" assessment, it's clear that he knows little about LED emitters. He's overly-impressed at the size of the emitters, and seems to think the size and appearance of emitters is somehow meaningful when it comes to function. It was good for a laugh, though.
The primary lens is not custom, but it is different. This is why the chip appears larger.

Also from the G6 page:
"This improvement was achievable through a change to the primary optic on the LEDs which then integrates with the geometry in the existing HEI (Hemispherically Edge Illuminating) secondary optic (lens)."

Not a new concept, but it is different in the G6.

Size and "appearance" (appearance= how the chip "looks" due to lens geometry) is an important effect. The larger the refocusing, the more uniform the light field in a multichip array.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i've seen so far on Youtube is that G6 is more towards purpleish blue than G5 was.
So if you're more a blue than purple fan, stick with G5.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary lens is not custom, but it is different. This is why the chip appears larger.

Also from the G6 page:
"This improvement was achievable through a change to the primary optic on the LEDs which then integrates with the geometry in the existing HEI (Hemispherically Edge Illuminating) secondary optic (lens)."
Well "custom" is a bit of a variable term.
Standard optics on a chip is usually around 120 degrees.. Anything other than that is err.. "custom"
Lumileds uses like 140 degrees on their "horticulture" diodes.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's at least a dozen points of misinformation and lack of context in this.

We'll just go with one of them though... How do you know Ecotech didn't test the 395nm diodes with their plastic? How do you know they didn't change the plastic to accommodate the UV? Or like with the AI lights, they don't allow you to overdrive them?

Way too many assumptions and emotions to make a good case for either light here.

Glad you're happy with the Red Sea lights because behind the scenes, they are one of the most hated lights out there with loads of issues that get swept under the rug (like most things Red Sea makes.)
Their is no miss information but facts and experience that I was not alone to complain and experience it.

I don't want to give my sources but let's say I know someone that had this discussion with someone from ecotech . Beginning of the year they were not sure to launch the update because of the lens material that would not support the UVA, but they actually lose market share to company that have real UV. Those short Wave can be detrimental to the lens .So I suppose that they took the risk as in 3 month since, nothing changed in the technology. Show me what new technologies they used that suddenly support it? There isn't , so it could burn same the Ai probably after 2- 3 years you could have trouble as they have the same uv led package. Kessil and read sea for example have real Uv and their lens aren't made with plastic. The lens of the radion burnt out already on some g4 check the forums.

And yes I have emotion as a g5 buyer I was scammed by their marketing that lied and sold me a LED more bad than the g4, lies same the UV... and made me spend a lot of money for something that wasn't worth it.

I not read any bad review about the reefleds ?? And I tested one on my small tank with better results than with the radion which make me switch (even if initially I was thinking they are worse than the radions). I even save money as now i replaced 2xr 15 and 1 XR 30 with only two reefled 160s and no disco ball effect and no eye blending.check the brs reefled review ,there is one of the best they had tested and the 160 is even better. So the spread story and spectrum mix from ecotech...

The radion isn't a bad light ,someone that not have a better light before would probably be happy with,many people also are happy with black box and growth corals. but if you had a better one and if the marketing make wrong claims that isn't right for their customer.When you spend thousands of dollars on your tanks , you have the right to expect more.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their is no miss information but facts and experience that I was not alone to complain and experience it.

I don't want to give my sources but let's say I know someone that had this discussion with someone from ecotech . Beginning of the year they were not sure to launch the update because of the lens material that would not support the UVA, but they actually lose market share to company that have real UV. Those short Wave can be detrimental to the lens .So I suppose that they took the risk as in 3 month since, nothing changed in the technology. Show me what new technologies they used that suddenly support it? There isn't , so it could burn same the Ai probably after 2- 3 years you could have trouble as they have the same uv led package. Kessil and read sea for example have real Uv and their lens aren't made with plastic. The lens of the radion burnt out already on some g4 check the forums.

And yes I have emotion as a g5 buyer I was scammed by their marketing that lied and sold me a LED more bad than the g4, lies same the UV... and made me spend a lot of money for something that wasn't worth it.

I not read any bad review about the reefleds ?? And I tested one on my small tank with better results than with the radion which make me switch (even if initially I was thinking they are worse than the radions). I even save money as now i replaced 2xr 15 and 1 XR 30 with only two reefled 160s and no disco ball effect and no eye blending.check the brs reefled review ,there is one of the best they had tested and the 160 is even better. So the spread story and spectrum mix from ecotech...

The radion isn't a bad light ,someone that not have a better light before would probably be happy with,many people also are happy with black box and growth corals. but if you had a better one and if the marketing make wrong claims that isn't right for their customer.When you spend thousands of dollars on your tanks , you have the right to expect more.

Lighting and UV sure does bring emotion out...

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched Reefbuilder's side to side comparison (both lights next to eachother on the same tank).
Downfall - for me - is that the Royal Blue led's from the G6 are more purple than G5's. So gone is that true deep cobaltblue color i like.
Also G6 seems to have less shimmer (because of the bigger spread it's less of a point source).

I removed my G5 for sale ad, gonna keep it. :)

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the G6 has better spread than the G5... I assume that means even more light spill from my rimless tank without a canopy. My RMS mounts angle the fixture down in the front (apparently by design), but it still isn't enough to stop the light spill from hitting me in the face when seated in front of my tank. Leaning toward the Straton Pro now.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the G6 has better spread than the G5... I assume that means even more light spill from my rimless tank without a canopy. My RMS mounts angle the fixture down in the front (apparently by design), but it still isn't enough to stop the light spill from hitting me in the face when seated in front of my tank. Leaning toward the Straton Pro now.
Yes because if this mainly I changed them against the reefleds,I have not more this issue.The straton pro seems to have good things,but I'm really not convinced for the even spectrum mix as they not have a diffusor.They even advise mounting them high to reach a good mix,wich isn't a good sign for me.I think a lot of marketing also.
After a lot of research I trust the most kessil and red sea .

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the G6 has better spread than the G5... I assume that means even more light spill from my rimless tank without a canopy.
Yep, check the Reefbuilders video. G6 will shine way more in your eyes sitting on the couch than G5.

I'll bet many people currently regret selling their G5's for G6. :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched Reefbuilder's side to side comparison (both lights next to eachother on the same tank).
Downfall - for me - is that the Royal Blue led's from the G6 are more purple than G5's. So gone is that true deep cobaltblue color i like.
Also G6 seems to have less shimmer (because of the bigger spread it's less of a point source).

I removed my G5 for sale ad, gonna keep it. :)
This is the comparison I've been waiting for as well. Might be time to pickup another XR15 Blue while they're on-sale.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. I wonder if they'll work on a design to reduce shadowing.
not likely. Shadowing and hard shimmer lines are the entire point of a kessil type light. Without a hybrid setup, there is no way to have your cake and eat it too. In a single unit, you will find yourself somewhere on the gradient of hard shadows and natural shimmer, and zero shimmer and no shading at all. Some lights have attempted to make both happen in one, but it has not been successful. They know exactly what they're offering at Kessil.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back