Eels

Onlymixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting a tessalata eel. He is about 4 inches right now I would put him n my 55 till I get a 180 . What all fish could he go with and won’t eat. Right now I have a snowflake eel , two clowns , madias blenny . And if anyone know anything about them if I do get it what should I expect with one ?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large angelfish, tangs, triggerfish, etc. Gobies and blennies are the most likely to be eaten. Clowns are not safe either.

I would feed a variety of fish that includes salmon or trout. I believe hikari silversides are OK but will not work as a stand alone diet.

OP
OP
O

Onlymixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large angelfish, tangs, triggerfish, etc. Gobies and blennies are the most likely to be eaten. Clowns are not safe either.

I would feed a variety of fish that includes salmon or trout. I believe hikari silversides are OK but will not work as a stand alone diet.
Ok and how fast would u say they grow he is about 3 inches rn and I would put him n my 55 for about a year but just until I got a bigger tank

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish grow quickest early on and then their growth slows.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king ?
I’d say it would be a foot at least in a year.

Hey @Slocke my baby monster has went from 9" to about 20" in 9 months. They will grow fast the first year to 2 years. Nothing in a 55g will live, mine is in a 210g, the same footprint as 180g. Mine happens to be on the shy side, I;ve seen them much more aggressive, but he is still a baby. I keep tinkering with the idea of a few triggers to bring him out of his shell, but the initial plan was as a solitary fish. Only large aggressive fish will have a chance with this eel. A small juvi is not the same as a mature eel.

I would re-measure as I have never seen a tessa that small, at 9" everyone said they had never seen one that small, I never have.

OP
OP
O

Onlymixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Slocke my baby monster has went from 9" to about 20" in 9 months. They will grow fast the first year to 2 years. Nothing in a 55g will live, mine is in a 210g, the same footprint as 180g. Mine happens to be on the shy side, I;ve seen them much more aggressive, but he is still a baby. I keep tinkering with the idea of a few triggers to bring him out of his shell, but the initial plan was as a solitary fish. Only large aggressive fish will have a chance with this eel. A small juvi is not the same as a mature eel.

I would re-measure as I have never seen a tessa that small, at 9" everyone said they had never seen one that small, I never have.
Same I have never seen one that small either which makes me think he might have just been born

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back