Eelysium

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a cave in that mound, I would cut it to keep it from covering the entire tank.

1675010953449.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW This is certainly what I'm hoping for! Must look incredible in person.

What species of Lions are those?
I’m not the owner of the tank or anything but I believe the lions are;
Pterois antennata - Antennata
Dendrochirus brachypterus - Fuzzy Dwarf
Dendrochirus biocellatus - Fu Manchu

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a cave in that mound, I would cut it to keep it from covering the entire tank.

1675010953449.png

I’m a big fan of a cave in the mound. Oh, wait, are we talking about reefing? Never mind… :p

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is like the dandelion of reefing. In order for it to die one has to really nuke it! I know many reefers don’t like GSP and consider it a nuisance. I, however, have always liked it. Especially when maintained.
Yeah it's so tough. My rock was one of my original rocks and survived no water followed by massive salinity swings since I started with a broken hydrometer. But the glow is second to none so now that's it alone and I don't have to chop it down every week to save other corals I can just enjoy it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the owner of the tank or anything but I believe the lions are;
Pterois antennata - Antennata
Dendrochirus brachypterus - Fuzzy Dwarf
Dendrochirus biocellatus - Fu Manchu

Not Dendrochirus brachypterus - Fuzzy Dwarf but Dendrochirus zebra - Dwarf/Zebra, there is a fuzzy in there somewhere. The other 2 are right.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Dendrochirus brachypterus - Fuzzy Dwarf but Dendrochirus zebra - Dwarf/Zebra, there is a fuzzy in there somewhere. The other 2 are right.
I was toying between the two and went with the more common one.
The tank looks gorgeous, do you still have it running?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got utterly bored of taking care of a reef. That tank ran for over 10 years, the lions got old and I gave the ribbon eel to a friend. That was not the ribbon's original tank and he outgrew that tank, it's a 90g. Here's the tank today as a fowlr with a new crew, this crew has been going over 4 years. A Rhinopias frondosa -Rhino, Dendrochirus zebra - Dwarf/Zebra, Pterois antennata - Antennata, Dendrochirus brachypterus - Red Fuzzy Dwarf, and Pterois radiata- Radiata.

1675012654251.png

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got utterly bored of taking care of a reef. That tank ran for over 10 years, the lions got old and I gave the ribbon eel to a friend. That was not the ribbon's original tank and he outgrew that tank, it's a 90g. Here's the tank today as a fowlr with a new crew, this crew has been going over 4 years. A Rhinopias frondosa -Rhino, Dendrochirus zebra - Dwarf/Zebra, Pterois antennata - Antennata, Dendrochirus brachypterus - Red Fuzzy Dwarf, and Pterois radiata- Radiata.

1675012654251.png
Those are such magnificent fish! They really are some of the most beautiful fish in the hobby.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hard to find pics of that old tank, on a crashed computer. Here's one of the other side of the tank; with a euphyllia garden, some ricordia mushrooms, and one of my fav fox coral.

1675014263271.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to find pics of that old tank, on a crashed computer. Here's one of the other side of the tank; with a euphyllia garden, some ricordia mushrooms, and one of my fav fox coral.

1675014263271.png
Foxcoral is a beautiful coral, I wish I picked some up when I had the chance, I’ve never seen it again.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are such magnificent fish! They really are some of the most beautiful fish in the hobby.

Thanks, here's the fuzzy that was in that tank, and a couple more I've had through the years. Another yellow fuzzy, a blackfoot-Parapterois heterura and a 12" black volitan that was over 10 years old.

1675014584408.png

1675014708131.png

1675014758540.png

1675014808637.png

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, here's the fuzzy that was in that tank, and a couple more I've had through the years. Another yellow fuzzy, a blackfoot-Parapterois heterura and a 12" black volitan that was over 10 years old.

1675014584408.png

1675014708131.png

1675014758540.png

1675014808637.png
I did not know that fuzzies existed. That color is absolutely stunning! One of the prettiest fish I've seen. Its like that robin I used to love but with more color and even better fins.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer goby and banded spam. They don't get many pictures so here's a lot. My camera is obviously not good at long things though.
Interesting thread here. I think the tank looks awesome no matter what your dad thinks... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have never had eel's myself but they have definitely peaked my interest. Before i bought my used RSM S-500 the LFS near me had a six foot + eel donated to them.
EEL 2.jpeg

Initially they were told it was just two to three feet long which is why they agreed to the donation but once they realized it was so big they housed it for about a week in the S-500 before donating it to the tank at UNE.
EEL 1.jpeg

I apologize about the spam @Slocke but i am curious if one of you Eel enthusiast know what species this is?

Later days,

B-Kind

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread here. I think the tank looks awesome no matter what your dad thinks... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have never had eel's myself but they have definitely peaked my interest. Before i bought my used RSM S-500 the LFS near me had a six foot + eel donated to them.
EEL 2.jpeg

Initially they were told it was just two to three feet long which is why they agreed to the donation but once they realized it was so big they housed it for about a week in the S-500 before donating it to the tank at UNE.
EEL 1.jpeg

I apologize about the spam @Slocke but i am curious if one of you Eel enthusiast know what species this is?

Later days,

B-Kind
Looks to me like a Tesselata, Gymnothorax favagineus.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apologize about the spam @Slocke but i am curious if one of you Eel enthusiast know what species this is?
I agree with Aaron this is a Tesselata. Very pretty, will get big, well get chunky, and very hungry lol.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EEL 2.jpeg

EEL 1.jpeg

Later days,

B-Kind
Agreed with others! It is a beautiful tessalata. Have you seen this @lion king ?

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like a Tesselata, Gymnothorax favagineus.
Excellent thank you sir! I think the LFS originally told me what it was but i was to enamored by the thing to pay attention, haha.

I agree with Aaron this is a Tesselata. Very pretty, will get big, well get chunky, and very hungry lol.
LoL, Thinking about something this big inside a 135 gallon makes me shutter :confounded-face:. Apparently the eel completely rearranged the rock structure along with eating most of the fish... whoopsie! I was definitely happy that they rescued it though and donated it quickly. Easy Aquariums is a good LFS.

Agreed with others! It is a beautiful tessalata. Have you seen this @lion king ?
Wow three people in a row that agree on the internet...haha. Sometimes you just find the right people!

Thank you folks for the confirmation,

B-Kind

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent thank you sir! I think the LFS originally told me what it was but i was to enamored by the thing to pay attention, haha.

LoL, Thinking about something this big inside a 135 gallon makes me shutter :confounded-face:. Apparently the eel completely rearranged the rock structure along with eating most of the fish... whoopsie! I was definitely happy that they rescued it though and donated it quickly. Easy Aquariums is a good LFS.

Wow three people in a row that agree on the internet...haha. Sometimes you just find the right people!

Thank you folks for the confirmation,

B-Kind

and no one disagreed with the ID.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back