Electric Shock

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my tank today and filled with live rock to start bacteria cycle. Somewhere along the way I felt a small shock (110 level), this repeated self when I touched overflow to sump. Later I touched finger to the water to and got a BIG shock.

Measured voltage with an indicator and it registered somewhere around 220 (I live in Europe).

Unplugged all equipment and gradually turned on equipment one at a time to see what caused the problem. It appears to be an pump. When the pump is plugged into extension cord, AC measures 220V. When the pump is plugged into alternate extension cord there was little current showing. When plugged into wall the charge registers again at 220. Is this a grounding issue or pump issue?

(The plug on extension cord has slight electrical smell.) but no visible damage when I opened it)

I’m not an electrician and have some questions:

1. Is it safe to use pump if using new extension cord and no voltage registers?

2. Is it safe to run tank temporarily as long as I don’t touch anything and keep everyone away? Its a reef setup that I bought and I dont want to lose bacteria cycle progress as I wait for another pump?

3. Can I buy a GFCI extensiom cord or plug that plugs into wall? Where I live overseas house outlets aren’t necessarily guaranteed to be grounded?

4. When I got shocked what happened to my live rock, bacteria, small invertebrates, anemones which were on the matured live rock. Did the current from tank to ground when I touched it kill it all? No coral or fish were in the tank yet.

5. What else can I do to be extra safe? Fastest method would be to use a GFCI extension cord if such a cord exists and can handle multiple sockets. If so please post link here.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be no electrical current in the tank. Unplug and remove everything. Remove and replace the pump. Throw away the extension chord. There are GFCI plugs that can plug into the existing wall, but I would get an electrician involved. If you leave it, the possibility of a fire is there.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that no matter what equipment I turn on, I get a small reading of current from 12-55 V. Wavemakers, heater, etc I dont understand electric currents so maybe that is normal but the 220 shock isn’t. Is it okay for the pump to stay on if I dont touch it or water until I get a replacement?

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that no matter what equipment I turn on, I get a small reading of current from 12-55 V. Wavemakers, heater, etc I dont understand electric currents so maybe that is normal but the 220 shock isn’t. Is it okay for the pump to stay on if I dont touch it or water until I get a replacement?
NO...do not leave the pump in and running...it is an electrical hazard and could potentially cause a fire.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would love to help you,not familiar w overseas elec. process of elimination great track,when figured out recommend,ground probe in both tank and sump ,double protection ,better safe than shocked for about 20$
good luck..following :)

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I shut all off the reef rock dies and all in it, no? I’m willing to leave sump off a day or two to get to the bottom of it but need to keep water moving in tank somehow. I have grounded outlets bit any chance house itself wasn’t grounded and thats why all the currents?

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like there's a problem with both pump and extension lead, I wouldn't trust anything plugged into it. First change both and check again. Is all of your gear new or secondhand?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes.
when you say your reef rock will die, do you mean bacteria from cycling or do you have actual livestock. Either way, its not worth the risk, but if you have livestock, you might need to take some steps to keep it going. If you are just worried about the cycle, I would not. It will cycle again just fine. And it will cycle a little many times over its life. So don't take risks just to avoid re-cycling.
I think many extension cord GFCI's trip are more likely than wall-mounted units to false trip. I don't know why I think that. I've had plenty of both. But you need to know if your outlet is grounded - a plug in style won't work any more than an outlet style if there is no ground.
I'm glad you brought this up as an emergency, but my suggestion is to take a step back, and accept that it may take a few days or even a little bit longer to resolve this, and then worry about your cycle.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hang tight you won't have to wait too long ,many elec experts here

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is it safe to use pump if using new extension cord and no voltage registers?
I think so, yes. This is what should happen. If someone smarter says no, listen to them.

2. Is it safe to run tank temporarily as long as I don’t touch anything and keep everyone away? Its a reef setup that I bought and I dont want to lose bacteria cycle progress as I wait for another pump?
no. You run the risk of forgetting, and you run the risk of an electrical fire, I think.

3. Can I buy a GFCI extensiom cord or plug that plugs into wall? Where I live overseas house outlets aren’t necessarily guaranteed to be grounded?
if your circuit isn't grounded, then no - it needs the ground. You may need an electrician.

4. When I got shocked what happened to my live rock, bacteria, small invertebrates, anemones which were on the matured live rock. Did the current from tank to ground when I touched it kill it all? No coral or fish were in the tank yet.
Many will be fine - they were not in the current path, mostly. That said, some may die. It's a bit of a crapshoot. Conceptually, they could all be safe except there have been many reported fish losses from stray current.

5. What else can I do to be extra safe? Fastest method would be to use a GFCI extension cord if such a cord exists and can handle multiple sockets. If so please post link here.
answered the gfci above. Hopefully, you just need a new extension cord or pump. But since you are early in your build, I'd suggest getting someone to evaluate your circuit, and install a pair of GFCI's (and split critical loads, so if a GFCI trips, you still have some things powered up - for example, return pump on one and powerheads on another)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
an air pump and stone ,will airate enough for the moment ,what size "gallons" and corals.and fish do you have'pic would be great

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 gal tank. Its an established tank that I inherited this weekend. That’s why I am worried about rock and cycle. The corals and livestock are elsewhere temporarily until I can recycle tank.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok you are fine rt now..do you have air pump to run or powerhead facing at water surface you can run rt now ,while waiting,that will not shock you or show elec current in water ?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I run ends up showing some minimal electric current in water. 12-55 volts. My freshwater tank shows 110! On another outlet. With only a canister filter running. Could it ne my meter (new) is misreading?

A guy here in our country told me that’s normal for equipment to give off minimal electric (?). I can run the powerheads and let the sump sit for now...Not worried about that.

Just wondering what to do to ensure personal / family safety. FYI They dont sell GFCI outlets here. But we can establish a similar style breaker at the box.

If my house wasn’t grounded would that explain this?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
some will come here ,most prob working rt now is 14:30 here

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back