electricity question...

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my dad and I just ran a second 15 amp circuit to my room for the tanks. Not really too sure on the best way to hook everything up, but i'm thinking like this.

1st circuit...
chiller
halides
return pumps

2nd circuit...
powerheads
and everything else.

anybody have it setup that way? I figure if one trips then there will still be flow. and you wouldn't want to have the chiller circuit trips with the halides still on so I figure those would be best together.

tedstan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a lot of amps on the first circuit. Did you check how many amps you would be pulling?

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope...how would I check that?

I used to have everything except the 2x250 watt halides on the one 15 amp circuit, no problem...but I'm reorganizing and want to do it the best/correct way!

tedstan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the equipment it should tell you how many amps it should pull. Add them up and you should be close to how many it could pull.

Rouselb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not listed just take the Wattage and divide by 110. This will give you the estimated running amperage.

Example:
(2) 250W halides =500W/110=4.5A
1/4 H Chiller=7A
Return Pump = 150W/110=1.3A
Total of roughly 13A continuous running.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A breaker should trip at 80% which should be 12 amps for a fifteen amp circuit. Dividing wattage by voltage will get you amperage but on new electronic ballast the amperage will be less.

Rouselb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, how is it less?? I use a CoralVue electronic dimmable ballast, and i checked mine with a Kill-a-watt meter and its pulls exactly 250W.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works like an amplifier and jumps up the out put. It will still pull the 4.5a at start up the after the bulbs reach the correct color temp it will draw less.(compared to magnetic ballast) Now its not going to be a lot less but it could be the difference from that circuit tripping out.

Rouselb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, yeah, my blue wave 250W ballast draws 330W. The coralvue electronic draws 250W after warm up, but much more at startup, usually 270-280W. Very Cool. I still like the PAR from the Blue wave much better...more power as Tim used to say!

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so basically...i need to seperate the chiller and halides? if I do hook those 3 things up and it works...is it safe, or will it probably trip one day upon startup? Just trying to figure everything out...least amount of powerstrips and extension cords! LOL

and thank you guys for the help so far!

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. What size wire did you and your father run? If you pulled 12 awg than just change the breaker to 20a and problem solved and leave it like it is.

Last edited:

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to tell you 16 is not big enough for 15a circuit. That really needs to be changed before you burn the place down. Circuit breakers are not to protect the equipment its to protect the wire. Trust me on this one I have been an electrician for 12 years now.

Rouselb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, just checking. I saw his post, just thought it was an odd gauge to run, usually when you go to Home Depot or Lowes its one of the two i mentioned.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to familiar with romex as i am an industrial electrician but i dont think they got it from home depot or lowes. I just hope that he takes my advice on this one before something bad happens.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back