EMERGENCY!!! ALK off the scales

Neon_reefboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is off the charts high I need to reduce asap. The build is a 45 tall corner with 5 gallon fuge, ceramic reactor in sum with surface skimmer.
Here's my "official" stats I recorded earlier. Can't seem to find a clear answer on lowering alk, especially using vinegar. Please please please help I'm getting very frustrated

Screenshot_20210828-122743_AquaticLog.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your alkalinity some reasonable number before and then it raised to that level? Do you dose anything that would raise it? What test kit are you using? Is anything in your tank reacting negatively to it?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the salt the OP uses doing water changes my not help very much with lowering alkalinity. I use reef crystals which mixes up at about 13 dKh

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the salt the OP uses doing water changes my not help very much with lowering alkalinity. I use reef crystals which mixes up at about 13 dKh
That will still bring it down from 16.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Seachem's Acid Buffer with good success when my doser crashed - quickly reduces alk in water change water; just monitor pH of course.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will still bring it down from 16.
It partially makes a difference where the OP wants it at. If he runs his at 12 then water changes with reef crystals would bring it down close to his goal. If he is wanting it down to about 8 (which I'd argue is a more common goal) then bringing it down to only 13 isn't that much of a help. He will still have to find some other way to lower it anyway.
Also, if the salt mixes up to his desired parameters then definitely water changes is the way to go.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only recommending because other parameters are out of whack. Salinity is a little low, cal low, nitrate high, guessing phosphate high also. With everything out of whack and Ph and alk being high I just guessed that a Ph buffer is being used. Water changes would be the best way to stabilize everything slowly. Once everything else is in range, one parameter is easier to deal with than 4. On top of that if there are corals or coraline algae, getting everything else in order will promote consumption of alk. For me and a lot of others this is the parameter that is consumed the fastest.

OP
OP
Neon_reefboi

Neon_reefboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I'm using saliferts tests for calcium mag and alk. And api reef master kit for others
2. This was the first time iv tested this and I retested twice.
3. I have the red sea foundation + supplements which iv only used the mg and cal doses. And once at that.
4. Also, mixed reef mostly softies.
5. I use instant ocean as I'm a budget boi
Just trying to dial in my parameters so I can dose properly. And I'm trying to run traditional mixed reef parameters

OP
OP
Neon_reefboi

Neon_reefboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it was off the charts iv no idea what my alk is actually at as salifert test didn't even register it no matter how many times retested

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it was off the charts iv no idea what my alk is actually at as salifert test didn't even register it no matter how many times retested
I would take a sample to your LFS. Get a second opinion before trying to manage a parameter. In the mean time water changes are still best bet.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the salifert alk test kit, but according to the directions you can use a 2ml sample of water and multiply the resulting dKh by 2. That would allow it to test up to 32dKh, without having to go over 1ml of reagent.
I agree that you should probably get your water checked by someone else. Since you are not adding anything that would boost alkalinity I suspect it could be testing error.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Before changing any water and reacting- Assure its not a false reading. Any friend , local club or trusted store you can take a water sample to for a second reading?
Also what test kit are you using ?

OP
OP
Neon_reefboi

Neon_reefboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only lps uses api master reef test kits. No thanks lol I didn't try low resolution mode so I'll try that tomorrow. Like I said unfortunately the only thing that makes my lfs more advanced is there rodi system and frag tables lol I guess to start I'll go pick up some salt and do them changes. I'll lyk tomorrow what the low resolution yields

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back