Emergency: Derasa Clam Detached Hinge

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone here can help out!
I woke up yesterday to find my LARGE Derasa clam had managed to somehow detach its hinge. When I touch it, it still reacts and try’s to move, but you can feel that the 2 half’s of the shell move independently of each other and are not connected at the hinge anymore.
is there anything I can do to help him out other than just make sure his environment is good? Has anyone else had this happen and did the clam recover? Here’s some pics so you can see what I’m talking about.
74442845-8E9D-46F4-8252-109D96B0A6A6.jpeg
D40906AF-433A-49CE-A2BC-7CE132E1E82A.jpeg
443ED27A-8748-4A87-8D0E-185DE92E22B8.jpeg
9DF62402-7E28-445D-BB6F-FEECBD4A104F.jpeg
B9660255-9B9F-4461-AA3A-56FCFCB87A6D.jpeg

When I got home from
Work he did seem to be able to somewhat open up, but not fully like normal. Here’s how he looked when I got home.
D852DB04-7D62-4EB8-9839-AB2940B5F3A8.jpeg

but this morning he’s back to being closed up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’d hate to loose this clam, he’s so big and old, I’d just feel terrible. :(

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the trouble wish I could help on this one. Beautiful clam.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN is a clam guy, I believe. @jda might be too. Unfortunately, I'm not.

Could you list parameters, not sure if that will help or not? Any pests? How long have you had it?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I’ve never dealt with this, I’ve heard of a bacterial infection that affects the hinges and eventually the clam loses its ability to open and close and can’t photosynthesize and feed properly. I’m not sure there’s any method to help it along. But it will probably get worse as it goes along. I know it’s painful to hear and I hope the best for it.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful derasa that lived for 18 months with a damaged hinge. It came that way when purchased. I did not realize it would just get worse and I eventually sacrificed the clam. It started to stay closed longer and longer. I was able to see easily through the opening and into the clam. Unfortunately, smaller sealife would go in and out including bristle worms and this aggravated the clam, keeping it closed. It eventually stopped growing. When I removed the clam, the hinge was 80% absent and the clam shell was floppy like yours. I am not sure what is the cause. It was sad to see my clam die and I am sorry to hear about your clam.

Last edited:

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Believe it or not, one time I had the same issue and I made an artifical hinge using some fabric and crazy glue. I know it sounds odd but it worked out fairly well for some time. Idk if I extended its life or if it would've taken the same course regardless

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its sometime happens my 4 derasa that they of some reason stay closed during a day or two. I have also seen that it is an opening down at the bottom of the two shells. They are often closed in the morning before light coming on. They are of yours size

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN is a clam guy, I believe. @jda might be too. Unfortunately, I'm not.

Could you list parameters, not sure if that will help or not? Any pests? How long have you had it?
ALK: 8.0
Ca: 420
Sg. 1.026
Haven’t checked phosphate or nitrate in a while

no pests, as nothing has been added to this tank in over a year and was originally a QT tank. I’ve had the clam for about 2 years now, my buddy who I got it from had it for about 5-6 years and our other buddy who had it before him also had it around 5 years. So it’s at least 12 years old at this point and accustomed to tank conditions.

a little good news was that I tried to position him upright before I left for work yesterday and came home to him looking like this, which I take as a good sign.
43D9BD3A-AA38-4A37-BCA7-B458D92F6E91.jpeg
7874AA8D-AFFA-4F02-AB3E-E1429172074B.jpeg

But now this morning he’s back to being closed and off center again. I just tried repositioning him like I did yesterday, hopefully it helps.
this was him a few minutes ago after I stood him up. You can still see the same bottom right area that’s not aligned correctly.
94010783-5372-4F3A-81D3-CABB2BDFE46D.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say the hinge will not reattach itself. The only thing that you can do is make a prosthetic hinge for it as @reefs4life did. I would try and use other materials than fabric as that will disintegrate over time. You might try a strip of rubber or silicone. It will be a tedious effort to do it right but it really is your only hope for helping the guy out for the longer term. Be creative, but think long term. I wouldn't worry about handling the clam for the process, but make a plan, set yourself up properly, be quick and efficient in the process of prosthetic hinge installation and keep us updated.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say the hinge will not reattach itself. The only thing that you can do is make a prosthetic hinge for it as @reefs4life did. I would try and use other materials than fabric as that will disintegrate over time. You might try a strip of rubber or silicone. It will be a tedious effort to do it right but it really is your only hope for helping the guy out for the longer term. Be creative, but think long term. I wouldn't worry about handling the clam for the process, but make a plan, set yourself up properly, be quick and efficient in the process of prosthetic hinge installation and keep us updated.
I agree that this is probably the best course of action, especially since the clam dislocated itself again within 24 hours of you fixing the issue. I feel like this clam could probably survive longer if it’s given the proper assistance via a prosthesis. Good luck, it seems like you (and that clown!) really love this clam and I hope that everything works out well with it. The fact that it opened up fully after repositioning is a great sign that its still healthy even with the hinge issue

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this is probably the best course of action, especially since the clam dislocated itself again within 24 hours of you fixing the issue. I feel like this clam could probably survive longer if it’s given the proper assistance via a prosthesis. Good luck, it seems like you (and that clown!) really love this clam and I hope that everything works out well with it. The fact that it opened up fully after repositioning is a great sign that its still healthy even with the hinge issue

what is this prosthetic hinge that you're speaking of? I cant seem to find anything via the search feature or looking for posts made by them.
Do you happen to have a link?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is this prosthetic hinge that you're speaking of? I cant seem to find anything via the search feature or looking for posts made by them.
It’s a DIY thing. You kinda have to figure it out yourself I think. Just glue strips of material across the bottom of the two shell halves to make a fake hinge. Basically putting a bandaid to stick the two shells together and keep them level

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a DIY thing. You kinda have to figure it out yourself I think. Just glue strips of material across the bottom of the two shell halves to make a fake hinge. Basically putting a bandaid to stick the two shells together and keep them level
Yup, @footgal nailed it. If you do this, you would be the one to create a post we all could link to for future reference.

If I were to give it a go, here is how I would do it...
-Buy a bicycle inner tube, bicycle inner-tube liner, rim strip tape, or even PVC or fiberglass screen material (Home Depot, Lowes).

Pick one that would be wide enough to easily reach both shells.
-Cut a strip long enough to cover just the hinge but do not cover the byssal thread area.
-Glue, the material you choose will determine the adhesive you use. Epoxy putty stick, Super Glue, Aquarium safe silicone.
-Clean and dry both sides of the shell and apply a liberal amount of adhesive of your choice to each shell but not so much that glue will get on the hinge itself.
-Attach the strip of material of your choice and add more adhesive as needed.
-Set the clam in a container that would restrict its movement or secure/bind the clam to prevent movement while the adhesive cures. Time would be determined depending on the adhesive of choice.
-Once cured, place the clam in its happy place and cross your fingers.

If you do this, please take photos of the process and post up here.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great suggestions but I hate to break the bad news but it’s probably toast. I lost 3 10 year old clams due to that very thing. It happens and it’s not reversible. I suppose if you could stabilize the hinge it would prolong its life but the inflammation and susceptibility to infect would do it in. My clams never dislocated like yours did and they still died although it was a slow, month long process.

F881467F-BC0B-4A6C-BFF5-A08A862D296E.jpeg 8B1E84BA-2DBF-4C20-ACB7-39B417D9A4BE.jpeg 8FF54C12-055B-41E7-B2DC-6A2AC3CACAA0.jpeg BDF93A8C-AC77-41AC-9C87-8F66C136BBBA.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, one time I had the same issue and I made an artifical hinge using some fabric and crazy glue. I know it sounds odd but it worked out fairly well for some time. Idk if I extended its life or if it would've taken the same course regardless
Yup, I have done the same. Actually works pretty well. There was a thread over on RC years ago.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last giant derasa bit the dust after 9.5 years. Broken hinge after all... Was so big it wouldn’t sit flat in a 5 gallon bucket. Easily weighed 20lbs.

Attachments

• CFFDB1F6-3A85-4D6D-83A2-59A3430C1AE3.jpeg
    CFFDB1F6-3A85-4D6D-83A2-59A3430C1AE3.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 9C885472-D0DE-4503-862A-156C3B5C6503.jpeg
    9C885472-D0DE-4503-862A-156C3B5C6503.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 104

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back