Emergency Help! My ammonia went through the roof(.5)

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving how he posts an Emergency... but then has all the answers to posted suggestions

Guess we're all:
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I thought you mentioned you couldn’t do water changes because of the sand bed getting disturbed. I guess you meant your 75.
Yes, so what should I do? Im thinking of using that poly filter but that'd be only temporary

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, so what should I do? Im thinking of using that poly filter but that'd be only temporary

you can put one if to be safe.

Like I said, I see no ammonia issue. I just see a test kit that likes to randomly read ammonia.

If this has been an ongoing issue for days now and fish are happily swimming around and you have had nothing happen to cause 0.5 ammonia then stop believing the test kit. Stop testing ammonia if you have no reason to test ammonia. Once my tanks cycle, I never test it again… not in years because there is no reason to and I would never chase an api ammonia test kit without some sort of reason or issue with the fish.

2KrazyKidz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your API results? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do a water change, seems pretty simple. If you stir up that much debris, do another water change until everything is clean.

Some suggestions above, you just don’t seem to want to do them.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can put one if to be safe.

Like I said, I see no ammonia issue. I just see a test kit that likes to randomly read ammonia.

If this has been an ongoing issue for days now and fish are happily swimming around and you have had nothing happen to cause 0.5 ammonia then stop believing the test kit. Stop testing ammonia if you have no reason to test ammonia. Once my tanks cycle, I never test it again… not in years because there is no reason to and I would never chase an api ammonia test kit without some sort of reason or issue with the fish.
Ok, what if my new ammonia tester kit(not api) reads .05 again?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your API results? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do a water change, seems pretty simple. If you stir up that much debris, do another water change until everything is clean.

Some suggestions above, you just don’t seem to want to do them.
I'll do it, the dirty sandbed was on my 75 not this 125, this 125 has crushed coral and barely any debri on it as i feed very carefully, im getting a new ammonia test kit tomorrow

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what if my new ammonia tester kit(not api) reads .05 again?

0.05 or 0.5? Your title says .5

Edit: I don’t think API reads 0.05 so guessing 0.5

Then I’d throw all the ammonia kits in the trash and stop testing and move on with life if fish are still happy. Haha. Not all ammonia forms are toxic to fish and many test kits just lump them all together (free vs total).

Last edited:

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?... smh I have not had an answer yet idiot
Your last thread was about how to quarantine turbo snails with copper. I don't think you're in any position to call someone else an idiot in the reefing world. You're either a world class Karen or an expert troll.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5 I hope is just the test kit but I doubt it
I edited above but I should mention that those test kits test total ammonia but only free ammonia is toxic to fish.

Now if you did rush your tank and add a bunch of fish or a a rat drowned in the sump, well add a poly filter, biospira, and do water changes.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your last thread was about how to quarantine turbo snails with copper. I don't think you're in any position to call someone else an idiot in the reefing world. You're either a world class Karen or an expert troll.
Thats because I heard they can tolerate 1% of copper and wanted to see if it was true

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people dont do water changes, and sometimes doing one won't fix the problem, happens and has happened to me several times.
Ok, so you seriously have **NEVER** (EVER) done a water change?? Yes, many people's mature tanks become stable enough to not need them for routine import/export, but in an emergency situation, DO A WATER CHANGE!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already told you I can use prime but that will only temporarily fix the problem, I haven't had much luck before doing water changes as it stirs up the substrate a lot bringing the ammonia even higher, as the detritus is in there kinda accumulated and rotting.
There is no reason a WC needs to stir up anything if you do it properly. I do them all the time and never get a grain of sand out of place. (Ok, maybe that was an exaggeration, but seriously, just add water back slowly or add it to the sump)

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was seeded last june, is not purple or red because theres no coralline algae

The picture you posted shows almost pure white rock. You say it was seeded last June. Is that June of 2021? Even if it was this June, after 4 months, you should see some color on that rock. How old is this tank? Why not add some bacteria. While 0.5 ammonia isn't great, you have time.

If you want help, pick an idea and try it rather than telling everyone that you aren't going to use their idea. If the tank was cycled, why are you measuring ammonia anyway. Most never measure once the cycle is done. Why didn't you remove the dead fish? What is the "safe range" for NO3? Why not post all of your numbers, including NO2? Your reasons for no water changes show a lack of knowledge in the subject.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back