Emergency is this BTA too far gone!?

Sunkissedangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to my BTA looking like this today. It’s been looking a bit rough and I’ve been keeping an eye on parameters and staying on top of feeding it. Other BTA looks great. Is this one too far gone and if not how can I help it?

38EC9AB3-A122-442F-9005-67B997951747.jpeg

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nursed BTAs in similar condition back to health. Check parameters. Make sure nitrate is 2-10ppm, make sure phosphate is above zero and below .4 with medium flow. Keep the tank parameters stable and help the anemone reattach to some rubble or shell. Then it's just a waiting game.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too far gone, but is in a bad place.

It looks to have an infection. You say all other BTA's are looking healthy, Any new additions? Can you please test and post parameters.
Do you run carbon in the system and change it frequently?
Looks like you've already removed it from the tank, Was it secured still or free Floating? Do you have ciprofloxacin on hand?

OP
OP
S

Sunkissedangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I run carbon. Honestly, I do not frequently change it since it’s a pain with the filter I have. It was semi attached to its normal rock. No I don’t have cipro on hand. Only recent additions were snails, but the BTA wasn’t looking right before that. Most recent addition before that was a zoa rock from my LFS, but that was probably a month ago.

Nitrate 10ppm
Salinity 1.026
pH 7.6
Nitrite 0-0.5
Phos 0.50

Ran out of ammonia test. New one will be here tomorrow to check that since my local stores are sold out too.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I run carbon. Honestly, I do not frequently change it since it’s a pain with the filter I have. It was semi attached to its normal rock. No I don’t have cipro on hand. Only recent additions were snails, but the BTA wasn’t looking right before that.

Nitrate 10ppm
Salinity 1.026
pH 7.6
Nitrite 0-0.5
Phos 0.50

Ran out of ammonia test. New one will be here tomorrow to check that since my local stores are sold out too.
Alk?

Especially when running multiple anemones in one tank, run a lot of carbon and try to change it every 6 weeks.

Stability is key for this guy. Do not attempt to feed it. That's adding an additional stressor It does not need while trying to heal.

I would spend a few minutes trying to find Cipro online. You can have rush shipped. Look at Chewys and doctors Foster and Smith. One of the two often has it.

OP
OP
S

Sunkissedangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk?

Especially when running multiple anemones in one tank, run a lot of carbon and try to change it every 6 weeks.

Stability is key for this guy. Do not attempt to feed it. That's adding an additional stressor It does not need while trying to heal.

I would spend a few minutes trying to find Cipro online. You can have rush shipped. Look at Chewys and doctors Foster and Smith. One of the two often has it.

Oops forgot to add that
KH 143.2 ppm

I’m not that far off on my carbon changes then.

Would you suggest keeping it separate while healing especially if my other BTA isn’t showing symptoms?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops forgot to add that
KH 143.2 ppm

I’m not that far off on my carbon changes then.

Would you suggest keeping it separate while healing especially if my other BTA isn’t showing symptoms?
Yes. I would have it separated, secure, and be working to get meds for it.

You don't need to be blasting it with light right now as well.

7.9 dkh is a bit low, PH is quite low. Neither should have anything to do with this, but addressing both should give you better general health and color expression in the tank.

OP
OP
S

Sunkissedangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I would have it separated, secure, and be working to get meds for it.

You don't need to be blasting it with light right now as well.

7.9 dkh is a bit low, PH is quite low. Neither should have anything to do with this, but addressing both should give you better general health and color expression in the tank.
Any other antibiotics you would suggest since chewy and multiple other websites are out of stock on all fish cipro?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other antibiotics you would suggest since chewy and multiple other websites are out of stock on all fish cipro?

There are a few others listed in this a Great post by @OrionN

I only have personal experience with ciprofloxacin

OP
OP
S

Sunkissedangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately when I woke up today the water in the isolation tank was cloudy and the nem was a goner. The antibiotics arrived too late. At least now I have the supplies in case it ever happens again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back