EMERGENCY! Pistol shrimp parasite?

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently bought a nice sized tiger pistol shrimp, but I noticed an unusual bulge on the right side of his body, I could be overreacting but it looks similar to an isopod parasite, can anyone help? Thanks!
7AA334A7-2438-4F51-8494-DD137350081D.jpeg

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are going to be ppl way more experienced than I am that can chime in. Hopefully my post will help bump.

If it were me, I would try my best to remove it. It really looks like an isopod to me. I am NOT jealous of your situation.... this is what I saw online

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are going to be ppl way more experienced than I am that can chime in. Hopefully my post will help bump.

If it were me, I would try my best to remove it. It really looks like an isopod to me. I am NOT jealous of your situation.... this is what I saw online

Thanks, I have been looking at videos at will try, only problem is I don’t know how to get it in that position that guy has it because it’s a pistol shrimp, I don’t want it to snap on me, any ideas?

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job!!!! Very brave.
Thanks, it actually wasn’t too bad after the pistol shrimp calmed down, I just had to pin it down rather than hold it, was tempted to return him but now am glad I can give him a better life, thanks for the video
Edit: and he didn’t even detach his claw out of fear, win!

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So were those on the outside or inside? I couldn't quite tell from the pics. That's a great job you did getting them off. Well done!!

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So were those on the outside or inside? I couldn't quite tell from the pics. That's a great job you did getting them off. Well done!!
Thanks, glad my little shrimp is doing well now, the pics of the actual shrimp were from the outside, the bulge is the parasite under the gill flap (I think?) and the picture of the two parasites is the one with the wood background after they were removed

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, glad my little shrimp is doing well now, the pics of the actual shrimp were from the outside, the bulge is the parasite under the gill flap (I think?) and the picture of the two parasites is the one with the wood background after they were removed
Thanks for this. It's great information to know in case I (or others) encounter this. I bet shrimpy is feeling a whole lot better now. Please keep us posted on his progress. I'm hoping he has a speedy recovery! :)

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. It's great information to know in case I (or others) encounter this. I bet shrimpy is feeling a whole lot better now. Please keep us posted on his progress. I'm hoping he has a speedy recovery! :)
Alright will do! He is hard to get pictures of lol, he just made a burrow and recently paired with a new ywg I added so he’s looking good! All you have to do to take out the parasite is flip the shrimp over, get small tweezers and stick them under the bulge part, grab the parasite, and pull it out, make sure to check extra well because I had 2 in mine, it’s actually quite easy once the shrimp stops being ticked off

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back