EMERGENCY urchin crushed by clam!

24 hour (ish) update:
Moved him to a holding tank I have running. He’s wondered around plenty and appears to be alive but still some very visible damage. Any suggestions would be appreciated

If it is behaving normally, I would place it back in the DT and let it go about its business. Monitor. It may heal up.
 
If it is behaving normally, I would place it back in the DT and let it go about its business. Monitor. It may heal up.
The holding tank his is in is a coral/live rock quarantine/holding. It’s pretty much a display all parameters are monitored and there is more coralline growth since there are no other urchins, and I don’t want to move him again I’m worried it might be more stress.
 
The holding tank his is in is a coral/live rock quarantine/holding. It’s pretty much a display all parameters are monitored and there is more coralline growth since there are no other urchins, and I don’t want to move him again I’m worried it might be more stress.

Then let it be right where it is.
 
Oh - I always thought that when the shell (test) was broken, the urchin would live for a bit, but then eventually die. But then, I would always just freeze them at some point after that happened, so I never really tried to see if they would/could repair that amount of damage! Echinoderms have have an open vascular system, and sea stars obviously regenerate, so I guess I should have been more optimistic!

Jay

I’ve seen damage to urchins like this a handful of times but I sadly never saw one recover long term :( sometimes days, sometimes weeks, but they always passed.

Could be that LFS systems are just too messy for recovery.
 
Final update:
Unfortunately it’s appears that’s in the clam vs urchin battle the clam comes out on top.
The little guy was hanging in there this morning when I was checking on the tank, was even carrying around some shells and such.
However, when I checked on the tank this evening, this was all I found of the little guy.

Will probably do a large water change on the tank. Should I run a bag of carbon as a precaution?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 73

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new