Enclosing new single clowns to pair?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I failed with the attempt to keep a small (7 clown) harem in a 34g display. The aggression on the smallest ones were too much, and I decided I didn't want to subject them to it and so slowly gave away all my clowns to hobbyists around me.

I ended up with one single ocellaris (Fancy White Extreme Davinci from Sustainable Aquatics) after just trading my pair of mocha gladiators. The three were fine in the tank for about a year, but the single ocellaris was never allowed in anemones but also not bullied.

I just recieved an amazing premium wysiwyg ocellaris (also davinci, similar markings) from Chad Vossen. It's much much smaller, and I'm trying to pair them up.

Let's call the one I have in the tank already ClownA, and the new one ClownB. ClownA is probably 1.5", and ClownB is just about 1". Clearly much smaller.

I put ClownA into a breeder box in the tank a couple days ago (he got really aggressive all of a sudden after the resident pair of clowns left and kept biting me as I was trying to relocate a coral in the tank). I decided to leave him there until the new clown arrived.

ClownB was slowly acclimated and I added him into an adjacent breeder box to ClownA. No aggression (though ClownA is probably unhappy in the box). After a couple hours, I plopped ClownB into the same breeder box. They don't seem to care about each other, which is better than trying to kill. They do swim on the same side of the box, but it's too early for them to be "paired" for sure.

My question is, after all that, is if I should keep them together in the breeder box for awhile before letting them out into the tank? Or if it's useless, and I should just let them into the tank now.

Tank does have a 7" magnifica already, I'm hoping if paired, they will both be hosted by it. Otherwise I think ClownA would chase ClownB out.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing at that size there should be little aggression and better chance of pairing w/out issues.
I'd probably just release both from acclimation box..

Nice score from Vossen!

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing at that size there should be little aggression and better chance of pairing w/out issues.
I'd probably just release both from acclimation box..

Nice score from Vossen!

When I first tried the harem, ClownA was attacked like crazy by another clown that was just about the same size. The aggressive clown was clearly fighting to not be last place, but after being attacked a lot, ClownA fought back. It was pretty crazy. Anyway, I think they should be OK, especially since ClownB is so small. I just hear that a dominant clown will not let others into an anemone unless they are already paired, and they may never pair if one clown is always in the anemone.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also, yes, Vossen! I'll post a picture soon. Symmetric patterns, great white banding connected throughout, nice defined lines, and gills etc. look incredibly healthy with zero defects.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 1.5 inches I would be surprised if Clown A is even female yet with the crowd it had surrounding it. I would expect some aggression as it naturally establishes dominance as it begins to turn, but right now they're probably going to be fine.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 1.5 inches I would be surprised if Clown A is even female yet with the crowd it had surrounding it. I would expect some aggression as it naturally establishes dominance as it begins to turn, but right now they're probably going to be fine.

You're right, ClownA is definitely still male.

My big question is, is there anything I can do to minimize one clown kicking the other out of the anemone? I REALLY WANT THEM TO BOTH SQUISH IN IT TOGETHER.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nature will take it's course, I've had pairs both in nem right away, and some that took a while for female to share.
When they spawn both WILL be in nem, always together

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little one is going crazy trying to push itself out of the box, the larger has been in there for 2 days, so he's kind of over it.

He has a curmudgeonly old face:
42712903200_7281e1bb15_b.jpg

But very symmetrical as you can see on his other side:
43803841124_b84d9ae37e_b.jpg

Both clowns looking at their future together:
30651717808_3a4f254385_b.jpg

My existing clown's look:
43803841214_09a6a82cff_b.jpg

It's incredibly difficult to photograph them while they're always facing the other direction, smashing their faces white, into the opposite side of the breeder box lol.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, just let the two clownfish out of the breeder box. I dipped the box low enough for them to find the opening up top. Took a few tries but they finally got out. My original clown went right back to the magnifica, and the new little guy followed him. Jumped right in! Both started doing the shaking dance immediately and have been at it for awhile. It's amazing to see them smash around through the mag.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, just let the two clownfish out of the breeder box. I dipped the box low enough for them to find the opening up top. Took a few tries but they finally got out. My original clown went right back to the magnifica, and the new little guy followed him. Jumped right in! Both started doing the shaking dance immediately and have been at it for awhile. It's amazing to see them smash around through the mag.

Wow! Beautiful clowns and an absolutely beautiful H. magnifica! Glad they are playing nice.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can ask you a couple questions? How long have you had your Magnificent?

How did you post a video on here? When I try it tells me I have the wrong extension. I noticed your videos where from YouTube. How do you get them from there to here?
Thanks for any help. I went to post my video of my Clowns and Magnificent.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ask you a couple questions? How long have you had your Magnificent?

How did you post a video on here? When I try it tells me I have the wrong extension. I noticed your videos where from YouTube. How do you get them from there to here?
Thanks for any help. I went to post my video of my Clowns and Magnificent.

I've had the magnifica for almost a year, maybe like 10 months.

I just upload to youtube, and then paste the link on the forum and it shows up automatically.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the magnifica for almost a year, maybe like 10 months.

I just upload to youtube, and then paste the link on the forum and it shows up automatically.

Thanks for the video help!
I have had my Mag two weeks and love it. My Clowns just started hosting it yesterday. So cool to watch.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video help!
I have had my Mag two weeks and love it. My Clowns just started hosting it yesterday. So cool to watch.

It is one of the most incredible things to watch clowns host a magnifica. It seems like they're in complete bliss, while it looks like a disgusting compromise when they're hosted by a BTA in my experience.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is one of the most incredible things to watch clowns host a magnifica. It seems like they're in complete bliss, while it looks like a disgusting compromise when they're hosted by a BTA in my experience.

How quickly things change. I came home today and my Mag is on the bottom of the tank all shriveled up and the Clowns are just poking at it like they want it back out. How sad. I took a chance with the Mag and bought it off line since I don’t have any LFS. Not sure what to do now. Man it sure sucks. I hate loosing anything.
Did you buy yours locally and did you do the Cipro?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly things change. I came home today and my Mag is on the bottom of the tank all shriveled up and the Clowns are just poking at it like they want it back out. How sad. I took a chance with the Mag and bought it off line since I don’t have any LFS. Not sure what to do now. Man it sure sucks. I hate loosing anything.
Did you buy yours locally and did you do the Cipro?

Always be ready to cipro. As long as it's not totally mush, you can save it without too much trouble. Just need the treatment of cipro over the course of a week or so.

Mine was not bought locally, but from @gig 'em who already had treated it with cipro and in his holding tanks for months. I had cipro ready, but ended up not needing to do a treatment.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always be ready to cipro. As long as it's not totally mush, you can save it without too much trouble. Just need the treatment of cipro over the course of a week or so.

Mine was not bought locally, but from @gig 'em who already had treated it with cipro and in his holding tanks for months. I had cipro ready, but ended up not needing to do a treatment.

Thanks for the info. I have Cipro ready. Should I go ahead a put him in a QT and start the treatment?

If he doesn’t pull through can I contact @gig ‘em directly?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done the cipro, so I know as much as you can learn from this amazing thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-i-cipro.211822/

If you suspect yours is having issues, I would definitely start the treatment immediately. It can't hurt. Many magnifica owners start treatment even without seeing any problems, since problems might not be apparent until weeks later.

Back