Established Lyretail; wanting Blotchy too

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, I’m wanting to add a Blotchy anthias to my reef tank. Here’s some info…

Current Tank is 5yrs old, but live rock/filtration has been with me for 15yrs.

60”x36x24” tank
160lbs’ish live rock in display
1.5”-2” of sand
4 - mp40s 100% reefcrest(2 antisync)
40b main sump, runs half full
34gal sump tank w/ 50lbs of live rock
55gal tank, holds ATS, water level 6”

Purple tang
Lavender tang
Yellow tank
2 yellow tails damsels
2 clowns
Yellow watchman
Melanurus wrasse
Royal gramma
Pajama Cardinal
Lyretail anthias
Pistol shrimp
Brittle star
Long spine urchin(in ATS tank)
Just a few random snails/crabs

Im really only worried about my lyretail. I’ve had it now for 2.5years so obviously it’s “established”. All other fish have been in my possession for anywhere between 3 to 15yrs old.

Would adding another anthias, in particular a Blotchy, cause any foreseeable issues?

I obviously don’t want an expensive fish beaten up/killed, but I have always wanted one.

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks!

image.jpg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a thought about this posted question, and it revolves around the common syndrome of "wanting one more fish."

I have noticed that I myself, if kept unchecked will keep adding fish to a system, one at a time until the last fish sets off the final war because the fishes that were in the system were at their wits end with other fins and the addition of this "one last fish" sets off a battle for dominance that ends up killing one or many fishes from fin tears, disease outbreaks, and turf battles that were not anticipated since everyone had been getting along swimmingly together for many, many months and even years.

So the questions I have for the OP, is, is this really the one last fish and do you think the rest of the fishes will accept one more in their tank?

I have recently come up with a possible method of testing the mood of the tank. Add a small black molly or two into the tank and see how long they survive, or if they get eaten quickly. If they survive for a couple of weeks, then net them out and trade them in for the Blotchy. HTH> :cool:

OP
OP
DaneGer21

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a thought about this posted question, and it revolves around the common syndrome of "wanting one more fish."

I have noticed that I myself, if kept unchecked will keep adding fish to a system, one at a time until the last fish sets off the final war because the fishes that were in the system were at their wits end with other fins and the addition of this "one last fish" sets off a battle for dominance that ends up killing one or many fishes from fin tears, disease outbreaks, and turf battles that were not anticipated since everyone had been getting along swimmingly together for many, many months and even years.

So the questions I have for the OP, is, is this really the one last fish and do you think the rest of the fishes will accept one more in their tank?

I have recently come up with a possible method of testing the mood of the tank. Add a small black molly or two into the tank and see how long they survive, or if they get eaten quickly. If they survive for a couple of weeks, then net them out and trade them in for the Blotchy. HTH> :cool:
I really appreciate this honest answer. It does kind of give me a reality check. I don’t need that last fish, in fact like you mentioned, the tank has been fine/ happy for years.

I think for now I’ll hold off. Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate this honest answer. It does kind of give me a reality check. I don’t need that last fish, in fact like you mentioned, the tank has been fine/ happy for years.

I think for now I’ll hold off. Thanks!
Your reply is stunning. Most people can't resist the last fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back