rtparty’s NYOS 440

Love the tank setup. Hope all is going better.

Thank you. The corals that survived are doing amazing currently. The colors are popping like crazy and growth is starting to finally take off again. But the hair algae, bubble algae, and other unwanteds are also exploding with growth LOL
 
No current pics as the tank is a complete mess with hair algae and cyano showing up on the sand. I have to pull out clumps of hair algae every other day off the sand.

I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning the Tunze powerheads and trying to clean things up after a few days away.

Side note:
I was able to travel up to Minnesota to shoot some videos with Ryan for Serious Reefs.

It was really interesting to dig through my Ultimate Salt Test with a different lens on. You can find that thread in my signature or here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-ultimate-salt-test.949805/
For those that are members of Serious Reefs, you’ll see that video shortly and I will try to get the free article out ASAP

https://www.seriousreefs.com/
Back on topic…

I’ve switched this tank to the new NYOS 2 part system to give it a try. The corals have really been coloring up and growing since the AFR overdose incident. I actually feel that overdose spurred the tank along for both good and bad

I’ll try to grab some pics to at least show off the corals but the rest of the tank is a disaster
 
Hope the tank is doing well! Interested in any updates ....... 🐟

It is a giant mess with cyano and hair algae currently. I really need to do a large water change and siphon out a lot of the crud.

Corals are all growing and coloring up nicely though. Maybe I will find the motivation this week to do a deep cleaning and snap some pics. Currently, I pull out GHA every few days off the sand to keep it manageable. It has only grown on the rocks in a few small patches.
 
It is a giant mess with cyano and hair algae currently. I really need to do a large water change and siphon out a lot of the crud.

Corals are all growing and coloring up nicely though. Maybe I will find the motivation this week to do a deep cleaning and snap some pics. Currently, I pull out GHA every few days off the sand to keep it manageable. It has only grown on the rocks in a few small patches.
By chance are your Nitrates zeroed out? I have a hypothesis zero NO3 = loads of hair algae
 
Try a bunch of sea hares, coral snow, more flow, and add bacteria to the coral snow.

It isn't bad enough for sea hares IMO. It will go away in time. I dosed coral snow last night so we will how the tank looks today when I get home.

I am okay with the current state of the tank. It will work itself out
 
More as a journal entry but came downstairs to perform some tank cleanup and a water change to find my trochus snails spwaning.

Water change and cleanup will have to wait a few hours. I want to give the spawning event the best chance to succeed. They have spwaned in my 25 multiple times and every snail in this tank has come from those events. The 25 can't support that many snails so I grab babies from the 25 and put them in the NYOS. I also added a few of the adults from the 25 when I first started this tank and those are the snails that seem to be spawning. Hopefully in a week or two I will see little babies popping up all over.
 
Water change done, screen tops cleaned, and return pump soaked/cleaned. I don’t have actual numbers but I think the pump cleaning doubled its’ output. Took me a minute to get the pump and overflow dialed back in because it was moving more water.

Took some horrible top downs during low tide. The halide glare was tough to combat. No filter, no edits. Just halides and an iPhone


IMG_3008.jpeg
IMG_3009.jpeg
IMG_3011.jpeg
IMG_3013.jpeg
 
Man, I just read through all 7 pages. What a journey with the ups and downs. Ups are usually shorter lived compared to when a down occurs. Takes a lot of work to get things back on track. You’re a trooper and looks like things are turning around. Good luck as the tank matures and continues to stabilize. Subscribed to see the progress.
 
Man, I just read through all 7 pages. What a journey with the ups and downs. Ups are usually shorter lived compared to when a down occurs. Takes a lot of work to get things back on track. You’re a trooper and looks like things are turning around. Good luck as the tank matures and continues to stabilize. Subscribed to see the progress.

Thank you and yes. 1 day of overdose is months to get back
 
Thank you and yes. 1 day of overdose is months to get back
No kidding! I’m always very paranoid when filling my tri tank of alk, cal, and part c. Labeled but all same color. It’s a double check each time.
 
Quick water parameter update. Much larger update coming later with some thoughts on the Tunze Orca 😜

Salinity: 35ppt
Temperature: 75.4°
Alkalinity: 9.6dkh
Calcium: 450ppm
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0


Couple tidbits…

- The temperature swings up to 77.7° daily with halides on. I find no issue with this and actually theorize this makes the corals more robust and healthier.

- Alkalinity is too high so I’m backing off my daily dosing by 2ml. Kind of bad time to test as it just dosed alkalinity 2 hours ago but it’s still rising week over week

- Calcium is also being backed off as it’s rising weekly

- Nitrates and phosphates continue to be 0 even with dosing 2-3x a week. I am going to up the dosage as GHA and cyano are still sticking around. We will see if the extra dosing helps or hurts. Any guesses?

My guess is it will help both go away 😉
 
Updated FTS now that the tank cleared up overnight. I’ve been slowly scraping the algae mat off the back wall. It’s much more like turf algae and does not come off easily with my long handled scraper. I updated the first post with all equipment changes as well.

I’ve got 2 new SPS frags I need to go pickup and I have just the spots for them in mind

I really enjoy taking pics with the halides on as it’s just point and shoot. 100x better than LEDs

IMG_3101.jpeg
 
Tank is shaping up nice!

And you're right about the halides and pictures. Point and shoot and they're almost perfect. I miss my halides but don't think I can handle the heat and energy cost anymore. That's what I tell myself anyways, I almost fired them up this weekend to see if they're in working order.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.3%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new