Eurobraced aquarium UV setup?

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just wondering how pple with eurobrace tanks setup there UV system. I have a sca120 eurobraced all around. Int overflow only has 3 1"input/output bulkheads (1 drain,1 emergency, 1 return split) so I'm guessing I'll have to set something up to go over the rim,but having a hard time finding a way to mount it to the eurobrace rim . Picture on my tank sps dominant and lps.4reefi uno2.0 pros,2x slw30,2x 4k icecap gyres
16865321392813425435292789038464.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're wanting UV for primarily protozoa control (disease like ich vs algae like dino), then you can get enough of the low flow/high exposure fairly easy without oversizing by putting UV in your return line. Not as flexible as dedicated line but it'll work just fine. Make sure you have it setup so that if you did experience dinos (or some such) and need the high flow/low exposure you can disconnect the UV from return and put a pump in your display to get the 8x turnover to manage an outbreak.

That should prevent visually distracting over the top plumbing for normal UV operations. And if you need the high flow for dino, then you're not going to care how it looks.

Also, not proven, but I suspect even low flow/high exposure with help with algae control as I have had my low flow for a couple years now after dino outbreak and they haven't returned.

OP
OP
Islandvib3s

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're wanting UV for primarily protozoa control (disease like ich vs algae like dino), then you can get enough of the low flow/high exposure fairly easy without oversizing by putting UV in your return line. Not as flexible as dedicated line but it'll work just fine. Make sure you have it setup so that if you did experience dinos (or some such) and need the high flow/low exposure you can disconnect the UV from return and put a pump in your display to get the 8x turnover to manage an outbreak.

That should prevent visually distracting over the top plumbing for normal UV operations. And if you need the high flow for dino, then you're not going to care how it looks.

Also, not proven, but I suspect even low flow/high exposure with help with algae control as I have had my low flow for a couple years now after dino outbreak and they haven't returned.
I appreciate your input but, I was more interested on how pple plumbed it over the eurobrace thx tho. I understand how uv works. Just hoping someone found a way to mount a return over a eurobrace.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your input but, I was more interested on how pple plumbed it over the eurobrace thx tho. I understand how uv works. Just hoping someone found a way to mount a return over a eurobrace.
In other words hook a drain into uv light input and drain the uv into your sump.. that’s what he meant and it prevents from additional plumbing over the top.

OP
OP
Islandvib3s

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words hook a drain into uv light input and drain the uv into your sump.. that’s what he meant and it prevents from additional plumbing over the top.
I think that would work but, then I'll have dirtier water running through it and I'll have to boost maintenance on it. Dang I need a 3d printer

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m Sure you already know you will get a much better kill rate by plumbing the UV from the tank through the UV and back to the tank. Just running it in and out of the sump is inefficient. Like Quiteman said, you can use existing plumbing and plumb the UV right into your return line. If you are going to run pipe or hose over the top, put an intake on one side and the return on the other side.

The tricky part is securing the PVC pipe to the euro brace. If the glass isn't tempered, drilling 2 holes and installing a fitting directly into the holes will allow you to have a tight fit. You could screw the elbow on one side of the glass into the threads on the other side of the glass. If you didn’t want to drill holes you could silicone some type of plastic piece to hold the pipe in place and secure the vertical pipes on the back wall of the tank.

Just make sure your UV is oversized with the proper flow. Flow rates and needed wattage are still highly questionable and debated my experts. You can’t go wrong with a unit more powerful than you need.

OP
OP
Islandvib3s

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Sure you already know you will get a much better kill rate by plumbing the UV from the tank through the UV and back to the tank. Just running it in and out of the sump is inefficient. Like Quiteman said, you can use existing plumbing and plumb the UV right into your return line. If you are going to run pipe or hose over the top, put an intake on one side and the return on the other side.

The tricky part is securing the PVC pipe to the euro brace. If the glass isn't tempered, drilling 2 holes and installing a fitting directly into the holes will allow you to have a tight fit. You could screw the elbow on one side of the glass into the threads on the other side of the glass. If you didn’t want to drill holes you could silicone some type of plastic piece to hold the pipe in place and secure the vertical pipes on the back wall of the tank.

Just make sure your UV is oversized with the proper flow. Flow rates and needed wattage are still highly questionable and debated my experts. You can’t go wrong with a unit more powerful than you need.
I agree. I have a hydros setup and flow meter so track flow, I have a 30w uv? It's a jebao I've used previously on older tanks. I was thinking about drilling the eurobrace, I'll check with sca if that will void my warranty. I'll have to think about it a little more. Might just plumb it I'm sump from chamber 2 to chamber 3 before pump return.thx

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. I have a hydros setup and flow meter so track flow, I have a 30w uv? It's a jebao I've used previously on older tanks. I was thinking about drilling the eurobrace, I'll check with sca if that will void my warranty. I'll have to think about it a little more. Might just plumb it I'm sump from chamber 2 to chamber 3 before pump return.thx
I would think that it would be just as easy to insert the UV in the return line. Way more effective And easier. Calculate your needed flow for Protozoa kill and see if you get at least 3 times turnover rate. Otherwise a separate dedicated pump will be necessary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back