Ori

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm jealous. Beautiful tank!

Aww, thank you!

What is your light schedule? I would suggest more CUC. Snails and/or hermits.it also looks like you have a bunch of substrate. Maybe the pump is making dunes but I would take a little out every waterchange until you have an inch or two. Great start though. I like all of your choices so far.

Yeah, I really need more snails haha. I’m gonna get a couple next time I go to the LFS. I turn on the light around 9 ish in the morning and off at around 5 at night. There’s actually only 1-1.5 inches of sand at most places, it just looks like there’s a ton because of the angle of the picture. The dunes are from my pistol shrimp upgrading his ultimate burrow :).

I’m glad you like it! I’m really enjoying saltwater so far, even with all the algae haha.

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, thank you!

Yeah, I really need more snails haha. I’m gonna get a couple next time I go to the LFS. I turn on the light around 9 ish in the morning and off at around 5 at night. There’s actually only 1-1.5 inches of sand at most places, it just looks like there’s a ton because of the angle of the picture. The dunes are from my pistol shrimp upgrading his ultimate burrow :).

I’m glad you like it! I’m really enjoying saltwater so far, even with all the algae haha.
Gotcha. After you get more snails I would do a 2-3 day blackout. Block the algae food. Your corals will be fine.

OP
OP
Ori

Ori

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got 2 more snails! They only had 1 astraea so I got it and one trochus. Hopefully they’ll help get the algae down. I also got a big green and purple hammer! It looks like a brain lol. It’s a wall hammer.

On a not so good note, my heater isn’t working too well. I’ve been bad about checking the temperature lately and I checked it today and it’s at 73 when it’s supposed to be at 78. I cranked up the heater to see if it will warm up but I might need a new one.

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got 2 more snails! They only had 1 astraea so I got it and one trochus. Hopefully they’ll help get the algae down. I also got a big green and purple hammer! It looks like a brain lol. It’s a wall hammer.

On a not so good note, my heater isn’t working too well. I’ve been bad about checking the temperature lately and I checked it today and it’s at 73 when it’s supposed to be at 78. I cranked up the heater to see if it will warm up but I might need a new one.
Just buy a new one asap

OP
OP
Ori

Ori

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I assumed for some reason that I didn’t need to clean the return pump? Then I noticed how low the flow has been lately, so I figured I should probably clean it out. Good thing I did because omg that thing was nasty ;Yuck. Full of brown sludge. But now the flow is so much better.

As for the heater, I think lack of flow might have contributed to it not working well, but I replaced it just to be safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ori

Ori

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A5214F20-F1F8-468F-B63C-1D3A94335B77.gif
Here’s a video I took.. the hammer at the front is the new one!

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I really like that hammer. It's always good if you can afford the space to have a backup heater for redundancy. Have one set a little lower than the other one just in case the first one fails. IMO it's better to be a little low in temperature than too high and fry your fish.

OP
OP
Ori

Ori

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like the tank’s had its first casualty :(. You know those zoas on the tiny piece of rock? Well I’m pretty sure the pistol shrimp grabbed it and dragged it into their burrow. I searched all through the sand in case it got buried somehow but it’s looking like I’m not going to see it again o_O.

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like the tank’s had its first casualty :(. You know those zoas on the tiny piece of rock? Well I’m pretty sure the pistol shrimp grabbed it and dragged it into their burrow. I searched all through the sand in case it got buried somehow but it’s looking like I’m not going to see it again o_O.
That sucks :( any new pics on the frags?

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some with my good camera just for you! I’ll upload them later :).

I found the zoas!! Buried in the sand. Hopefully they pull through.
Ah thank you! Nice finding the zoas

Back