Evolution led lights

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
returnofsid

Not all Chinese 1 watt fixtures are the same even though they have the same housing. Thoes may work well growing "tomatoes" in someones basement but the evolutions blue really makes the coral look good and is the only 1 watt fixture I recommend. Other fixtures just dont look good and its almost impossible to tell as they will not tell you the LED or the bin they use.

Bill

acrotrdco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the fact is, they're made by the same OEM manufacturer known as "Bai Shin" in China, built from the same assembly line using the same tools and same parts and PCB.

I've done some research and "Bai Shin" was the original OEM manufacturer who made the first 2 generations (Mk I and II) LED modules for Pacific Sun, if you look it up you'll find photos like this:
073415da.jpg

Looks familiar right? There was a Pacific Sun engineer who admitted that they outsourced Bai Shin to made their Mk I and II LED modules (without controller), but then they found out the quality is, well, not good enough so they stopped having the LED module made in China and ended up building their own LED module in Poland instead. That's the 3rd generation named "Black Python".

The OEM manufacturer "Bai Shin", now left without a contract with Pacific Sun, still owns the assembly line and knowledge to build the LED module, so that's what they did, building more of these LED modules and sell them to everyone.

That's why these fixtures originally didn't even come with a controller, you can pay extra to get an "universal" controller that's hotwired onto the LED module to provide some sort of controllability.

Now back to the subject, maybe they did customize the usage of colored LED bulbs for Evolution's fixtures, but they're still the same OEM manufacturer, and it's impractical for the same OEM manufacturer to build a different assembly line for just one vendor.

So in terms of quality of craftsmanship, performance and luminous output they're pretty much the same, the only difference is Evolution is servicing these fixtures locally in the States, whereas if you bought them from eBay or Alibaba or Taobao you're on your own.

Last edited:

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the fact is, they're made by the same OEM manufacturer known as "Bai Shin" in China, built from the same assembly line using the same tools and same parts and PCB.

I've done some research and "Bai Shin" was the original OEM manufacturer who made the first 2 generations (Mk I and II) LED modules for Pacific Sun, if you look it up you'll find photos like this:
073415da.jpg

Looks familiar right? There was a Pacific Sun engineer who admitted that they outsourced Bai Shin to made their Mk I and II LED modules (without controller), but then they found out the quality is, well, not good enough so they stopped having the LED module made in China and ended up building their own LED module in Poland instead. That's the 3rd generation named "Black Python".

The OEM manufacturer "Bai Shin", now left without a contract with Pacific Sun, still owns the assembly line and knowledge to build the LED module, so that's what they did, building more of these LED modules and sell them to everyone.

That's why these fixtures originally didn't even come with a controller, you can pay extra to get an "universal" controller that's hotwired onto the LED module to provide some sort of controllability.

Now back to the subject, maybe they did customize the usage of colored LED bulbs for Evolution's fixtures, but they're still the same OEM manufacturer, and it's impractical for the same OEM manufacturer to build a different assembly line for just one vendor.

So in terms of quality of craftsmanship, performance and luminous output they're pretty much the same, the only difference is Evolution is servicing these fixtures locally in the States, whereas if you bought them from eBay or Alibaba or Taobao you're on your own.

Thats great info...It needs to be out there....

I've been to a bunch of frag swaps and seen many of these fixtures. Most are an embarrassment to the reef community.

Simply they are a dime a dozen...Best for lighting a driveway or growing "tomatoes" in a basement.

I feel DIY is the most cost effective way to a tailored high end fixture.

That said the Evolution is the only fixture in its class I recommend. Their specific mix of LEDs looks great.

LEDs "are like a box of chocolates....you dont know what you're going to get."

With a reputable supplier who uses their product you have a bit of credibility.

The guys at evolution have done a lot of research and have documented growth with their fixture. I've seen it first hand and is the only 1 watt fixture I recommend.

Other vendors at a recent frag swap using those other fixtures were quite disappointed with the coral look....

As a DIY vendor my comment is a bit of a conflict of interest but DIY is not for everyone.

Bill

lamarine23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not sold on these cheap fixtures, compared to the AI's their really isn't anyting I they would come close to matching in performace, style, quality, warranty, efficiency, customer support...etc! Not worth it!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Dez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using these cheap Chinese LEDs on my full sps reef for over 4 months now. My feelings are mixed. I am getting decent growth and Colour, but they are loud and the shimmer isn't that great. I got them from eBay. So no doubt they'll grow coral, but fan noise is almost unbearable.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not sold on these cheap fixtures, compared to the AI's their really isn't anyting I they would come close to matching in performace, style, quality, warranty, efficiency, customer support...etc! Not worth it!

FYI Most fixtures including Champion Lighting's Blue Line LED and many others use this housing. Dont judge a book by its cover as the internal specifics are much different from the Evolution, Blue Line and Apollo.

The Apollo are simply better than all similar 1 watt fixtures as they offer more PAR with the 3 watt bridglux LEDs. The Apollo circuit board and LEDs were designed with our help to provide the best alternative to DIY and High End Commercial Fixtures like the AI .

That said its much different than other LED lights that look the same. It is an issue so the guys at Apollo are changing the housing design.

The OEM manufacturer "Bai Shin" offers many LED Lights however most are best for growing "tomatos" not corals in your basement. Only consider the ones on active reef tanks.

The AI is the top of the line factory fixture but for the price the Apollo has its place for those who choose not to DIY.

Bill

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys that chinese maker offers the basic then you have upgrade options for better parts.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your way off base on this one....sorry to say. I have had these evolution fixtures in my 189 gallon custom tank for 5 months now and have nothing but amazing results!! The style of the lights are of a normal fixture but the customer service, growth, color, warranty, efficiency, etc are beyond what anyone would expect!!! I will never spend the rediculouse amount of money on those over priced fixtures to get a thunderstorm....and....well nothing more IMHO. My electric bill has gone down $150+ since using these from M/H. im am getting at least 1/4"-1/2" of growth per month from my sps....never before did i see that growth.

Anyone who bashes these evolution fixtures have not used them nor spoke with someone who has because take it from me....they are very well made, and are priced so everyone may be able to have LEDs on there systems. Also not to mention the upgrades that will be done in the near future to all evolution lighting to rank them up there with all the other highly priced fixtures.

As far as my experience with them...never again will I have M/H or any other lighting for my system.

Last edited:

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your way off base on this one....sorry to say. I have had these evolution fixtures in my 189 gallon custom tank for 5 months now and have nothing but amazing results!! The style of the lights are of a normal fixture but the customer service, growth, color, warranty, efficiency, etc are beyond what anyone would expect!!! I will never spend the rediculouse amount of money on those over priced fixtures to get a thunderstorm....and....well nothing more IMHO. My electric bill has gone down $150+ since using these from M/H. im am getting at least 1/4"-1/2" of growth per month from my sps....never before did i see that growth.

Anyone who bashes these evolution fixtures have not used them nor spoke with someone who has because take it from me....they are very well made, and are priced so everyone may be able to have LEDs on there systems. Also not to mention the upgrades that will be done in the near future to all evolution lighting to rank them up there with all the other highly priced fixtures.

As far as my experience with them...never again will I have M/H or any other lighting for my system.

that pretty much sums it up. ive been running them since the first one and just ordered my 6th unit for my 3rd tank.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yall must have some steep electricity rates over there. My bill was $160 this month with my 375 running. I was debating getting these as well but probably would have went with AI when it came down to it. The AI units weren't much more expensive and the wattage would have been less this route. Plus I could control the leds more with the AI units. I liked reefkoi, they were very helpful with my questions. I still am debating the 60w UFO for the frag tank.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yall must have some steep electricity rates over there. My bill was $160 this month with my 375 running. I was debating getting these as well but probably would have went with AI when it came down to it. The AI units weren't much more expensive and the wattage would have been less this route. Plus I could control the leds more with the AI units. I liked reefkoi, they were very helpful with my questions. I still am debating the 60w UFO for the frag tank.

well when i had my old tank setup i had halides with the chiller, A/C set low as well as fans in the hood, and the bill was $300! as of last month my bill was $147....2 fans, no chiller, less wattage being used from the lights, and A/C does not need to set as low during the day. like i said....great quality cheaply priced LED's that the "average joe" can afford that IMHO are just good as the others, are the way to go! i have met and had the pleasure of hanging out with "reefkoi" and all i can say is, what a great guy. super easy to deal with and I'm sure any warranty issues that may arise he will be on it!

i will back him on these lighting systems all day long!!! there are now 5 other local reefers who use these and they have nothing but great things to say about them as well.

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have evolutions also and when i ordered them Chris said that they would be with me in 2 weeks and after 2weeks he said probably another month because the workers had vacation because of the chinese new year. Then it was another 2 weeks of assembly, inspection, making sure they worked etc. I was a little frustrated but it happens. I got the lights they were missing the brackets and were in 14k not 20 k like i wanted. Chris was very professional about the whole thing and the brackets got here the next day which he paid to ship and said he would switch out the 14k for a 20k and would pay shipping and get it to me as fast as possible.

Yes we have had set backs but he has always fixed them or made sure i was happy!

Thanks Chris :)

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets not fight and keep this thread on topic and about the lights please!Not about age or off topic ideas.

Thanks guys!!!

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 2evolution 60 watt UFO, an AI sol blue and a max spect g260. Love the maxspect the most but for the price the evolutions are incredible. I have had to do a warranty claim and the company was great! Shipped it to them and they had it fixed and back to me the same week. To be totally honest with everyone who is thinking about going led, know that when u switch it takes months for ur corals to adjust. Also from my experience the growth under led just isn't as good. It's not terrible but the difference is noticeable. As far as growth from one of my led fixtures to the next there is very little difference and in fact it is my AI sol blue that has the worst growth. Hope that helps.

Irishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 2evolution 60 watt UFO, an AI sol blue and a max spect g260. Love the maxspect the most but for the price the evolutions are incredible. I have had to do a warranty claim and the company was great! Shipped it to them and they had it fixed and back to me the same week. To be totally honest with everyone who is thinking about going led, know that when u switch it takes months for ur corals to adjust. Also from my experience the growth under led just isn't as good. It's not terrible but the difference is noticeable. As far as growth from one of my led fixtures to the next there is very little difference and in fact it is my AI sol blue that has the worst growth. Hope that helps.

It takes time for any coral to adjust to a lighting change, not just LEDs,but months seems really extreme, when I started using mh, it was maybe a week, LEDs, maybe 3 days tops and then my growth picked up, what do u consider not good growth? I've had plenty of corals that have had amazing growth and color after making the switch, and I know plenty of reefers that have been using LEDs for along time now, with amazing growth and unbelievable color

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The AI is 24 CREE XPE LEDs. The spectrum on the Cool White and Royal Blue are great for growth. Are your tanks tied to the same sump and whats the PAR or how high off the water is the AI?

Bill

OCDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm a little confused still, what are the benefits with going 2:1 ratio blue to white vs 1:1? Also what is the difference between 1G, 2G and 3G Evolution models other than the look?

Thanks,

Corey

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2:1 is what look u prefer. I don't think there is any benefit other than looks. Not sure of all the differences between models....this is when chris chimes in.

Back