Exact iDip Digital Water Testing

Hooloovoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Noah. I just received the iDip 570 Marine that I ordered from you at Reef A Palooza. I tried running the Alk test like you demo'd last night, but the meter just reported "Er2". Can you tell me what this message means, and what I might be doing wrong? I went through the instruction video and the written instructions to try to figure it out, but no luck after running the test three times. I then tried checking clicking the FAQ menu item in the app, but it just went to a blank page. I figured I would check with you before I wasted any more test strips.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Noah. I just received the iDip 570 Marine that I ordered from you at Reef A Palooza. I tried running the Alk test like you demo'd last night, but the meter just reported "Er2". Can you tell me what this message means, and what I might be doing wrong? I went through the instruction video and the written instructions to try to figure it out, but no luck after running the test three times. I then tried checking clicking the FAQ menu item in the app, but it just went to a blank page. I figured I would check with you before I wasted any more test strips.
So the ER2 error means your phone and iDip lost connection to each other. Make sure your permissions are all on for the app. Also make sure you have a secure connection. The result should have still been sent your smart device but just weren't displayed on the iDip. Also only one smart device can be connected to the iDip at a time. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know.

Hooloovoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ER2 error means your phone and iDip lost connection to each other. Make sure your permissions are all on for the app. Also make sure you have a secure connection. The result should have still been sent your smart device but just weren't displayed on the iDip. Also only one smart device can be connected to the iDip at a time. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know.

That makes sense. I initially installed the app on my phone and started to use it, but changed my mind and decided it would be easier to run it on my tablet instead. I should have some time to play around with it some more this evening. I'll make sure the phone isn't still trying to connect. Thanks for the quick response.

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What units of measure are you using? What results are you getting when the test is completed? I tried the tests on my app this morning and it calculated Mg so I know its not the app.

Sorry Noah, I wasn't able to answer any quicker...
In "Profile" my settings are:
- Calcium: Default ppm (as CaCO3) Preferred ppm (as Ca)
- Hardness, Total: Default ppm (as CaCO3) Preferred = empty, so nothing filled in here

I use the THU-II which was spontaneously on my Sony Xperia V.
I use 3,6ml of testing water and 14 drops.

Tested it yesterday again for a couple of times, the THU test with the 9 drops (LOW range?) Mg was calculated afterwards.
Using THU-II with the 14 drops (HIGH range?) Mg was NOT calculated afterwards...

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Noah, I wasn't able to answer any quicker...
In "Profile" my settings are:
- Calcium: Default ppm (as CaCO3) Preferred ppm (as Ca)
- Hardness, Total: Default ppm (as CaCO3) Preferred = empty, so nothing filled in here

I use the THU-II which was spontaneously on my Sony Xperia V.
I use 3,6ml of testing water and 14 drops.

Tested it yesterday again for a couple of times, the THU test with the 9 drops (LOW range?) Mg was calculated afterwards.
Using THU-II with the 14 drops (HIGH range?) Mg was NOT calculated afterwards...
This is what I believe the problem to be according to our Tech guy. "The Magnesium is not auto-calculating when the customer runs the higher range THU-II test because the app has not been updated in the app stores. The THU-II test is brand new and therefore has not been added to the calculations within the app yet. Once the app is updated for Android and Apple, the auto-calculation for Magnesium with the THU-II test should be working correctly."

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All I just wanted to let everyone know that we found a caching issue on our webpage. When you go to this link http://www.sensafe.com/exact-idip-570nm/ you will see a red box as follows
important-info.jpg
. When you click on the box you are supposed to see all the updates and additional information for this kit. Unfortunately, as I said there is a caching issue so to see all the images and updates you must do as follows depending on your computer.
Hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button
Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
Press "Command + Shift + R" (Mac)
We working to get this issued resolved and I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Noah.
Strange that nobody else noticed this, working with the new THU...
So Mg cannot be measured right now, can it?
Please keep in mind, while you're still working on the app, that the Mg reading was NEVER correct, in fact the iDip always shows a too low Mg.
Hopefully this can be corrected this time.
Ca is okay, within specs... ;)

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg can be measured you have to make sure the app is updated on your device. The Mg issues are being worked on that is why CAH and THU were released/new and why there is a new THU selection in the app. We have customers who have been testing/reporting there results to us when it comes to Mg and the results are very good.

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Noah.
How should I understand: "the results are very good"?
Were these results compared to a lab test?

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah right, we have been hearing that for almost 3/4 of a year now...
Sorry Noah, I'm on your side but I think Sensafe has to do better this time.

A lot of people have been spending between $350.00 and $400.00 hoping they could test their tank water properly.
Buying strips, strips and even more strips and still looking at results that are NOT trustworthy.
I myself have been hearing too long that I should trust the results the iDips is showing me... sorry, this already has costed me too much money, at least around $500.00 extra...! :eek:

How are people going to be compensated for being so loyal and buying strips and add-ons time after time??
How are people going to be compensated for buying extra tests that can NOT be used for Marine water simply because even the European distributor wasn't kept up-to-date or was misinformed...
How are people going to be compensated for buying an item of which the accuracy is NOT as published on the manufacturer's website and/or listed in the printed manual that was delivered with it?

What I'd be interested in, and we did this before ourselves, let this time Sensafe set up a "water testing session" at the European distributor...
Take a couple of iDips and just test the tank water at e.g. Aquaria Veldhuis. We are more than happy to send in the same water to Triton Germany and Gilbers at Reef Analytics.
Of course you'll get the results... ;)
Please just show us once and for all how good the iDip really is in stead of asking us to believe you, time after time!

I guess you can arrange something like this at, and together with, the European distributor, can't you?
If you are so convinced, what on earth could you have against this?

Sorry for being so straight forward. I promise to be just as straight forward when the iDip does just that where I bought it for and can meet the promises that were made when I bought it.

Last edited:

ChangNoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this and am a little disappointed in iDip going silent.....or have they? I am hoping there will be some response to Arne's post above. I am attracted to the iDip, but I see a significant level of discontent coming from the customers. Please iDip, a reply to the above.

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this and am a little disappointed in iDip going silent.....or have they? I am hoping there will be some response to Arne's post above. I am attracted to the iDip, but I see a significant level of discontent coming from the customers. Please iDip, a reply to the above.

Don't waste your money or time....this tester is not worth it!!!

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the delayed response. Just because we are not posting to user groups daily or even weekly does not mean we are not reading and listening to our consumers. For fastest response, please email [email protected].
I’m sorry you’ve had frustrations and we appreciate your patience. However, it’s disappointing to see the tone and comments you’ve made in this forum which contradict the communications you’ve had with ITS management and employees. All emails to management and ITS employees were replied to within 24 hours. In reviewing the numerous emails, you have stated “Thank you so much for answering so quickly… ;-)”.

Your initial problems were with the Android version of the app using a less popular brand and model of the phone. Unfortunately with Android there are so many makes, models, and versions there are bound to be challenges which we corrected the same week after being notified. Because Android has been such a nightmare to work with we are employing an additional Android programmer.

As far as problems with phosphate, you are the only person to tell us your marine PO4 results are inaccurate. Some users have said they would like to see lower detection levels but this has nothing to do with accuracy. It could be there are interferences from something in your tank which we are more than happy to work with you to identify and resolve. However, in one of your emails you also stated “Did a check with the Hanna HI736 this morning. Checked my PO4 twice: 0,064ppm and 0,046ppm. Checked it with my iDip too, looked extra for clean undamaged strips: 0,05ppm, LO and LO.” All testers have a +/- so with a lower limit of 0.02ppm it is not surprising you get LO. Controling and following proper technique will certainly minimize variation and produce best results.

In this forum you said you had problems with NO3 but in your email you state “I checked the iDip with the Fauna Marin Reference Fluid today, NO3 and PO4. NO3 is perfect, again 11ppm against a reference fluid of 10ppm… ;-)” Again, controling and following proper technique will certainly minimize variation and produce best results.

Finally, as you are aware, we will soon have the ReadySnap 8 marine water reference solution with confirmed with known analyte values everyone can test and compare. These values will be confirmed by various laboratory methods including ICP-MS/OES.

Feel free to call me or my colleagues in the UK office to further troubleshoot. Also, I have arranged for another free marine refill box to be sent to you.

Yeah right, we have been hearing that for almost 3/4 of a year now...
Sorry Noah, I'm on your side but I think Sensafe has to do better this time.

A lot of people have been spending between $350.00 and $400.00 hoping they could test their tank water properly.
Buying strips, strips and even more strips and still looking at results that are NOT trustworthy.
I myself have been hearing too long that I should trust the results the iDips is showing me... sorry, this already has costed me too much money, at least around $500.00 extra...! :eek:

How are people going to be compensated for being so loyal and buying strips and add-ons time after time??
How are people going to be compensated for buying extra tests that can NOT be used for Marine water simply because even the European distributor wasn't kept up-to-date or was misinformed...
How are people going to be compensated for buying an item of which the accuracy is NOT as published on the manufacturer's website and/or listed in the printed manual that was delivered with it?

What I'd be interested in, and we did this before ourselves, let this time Sensafe set up a "water testing session" at the European distributor...
Take a couple of iDips and just test the tank water at e.g. Aquaria Veldhuis. We are more than happy to send in the same water to Triton Germany and Gilbers at Reef Analytics.
Of course you'll get the results... ;)
Please just show us once and for all how good the iDip really is in stead of asking us to believe you, time after time!

I guess you can arrange something like this at, and together with, the European distributor, can't you?
If you are so convinced, what on earth could you have against this?

Sorry for being so straight forward. I promise to be just as straight forward when the iDip does just that where I bought it for and can meet the promises that were made when I bought it.

minagos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to say something. When I heard about IDip from a friend, I went to the web to find out about it.
To be honest, within 10 min of me searching and reading the little reviews here and there.

My excitement turn sour real fast. Somehow I found this site, which I didn't even know it existed.
I think this thread is the only one that I have seen about the IDip . I saw the contest to win a starter kit, so I said I give a shot.

I saw the email with the winner name, started with a (M) for 1 sec it got me, lol.

Now after reading 37 pages on IDip, I have some hope on the product.
I think Noah is doing his best to help the group. This product has some growing pains, and maybe soon it will in the past.

One thing I would like to Noah to understand, when we test our tanks, its sort of stressful to us because after we get our data.
We must react to that data in some form.
When you start losing faith on the tester itself, you going to have a riot on your hands, its only normal human reaction.

I really do like how your supporting the group and especially sending them new test refills.
Keep in mind I do not think people mind paying for test kits, but they need to have that emotional feeling the test are accurate enough for them to do something with the data.
Looking forward of the future your product.

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Noah,

Thank you so much for your extensive reply!

However, it’s disappointing to see the tone and comments you’ve made in this forum which contradict the communications you’ve had with ITS management and employees. All emails to management and ITS employees were replied to within 24 hours. In reviewing the numerous emails, you have stated “Thank you so much for answering so quickly… ;-)”.
I understand your disappointment Noah. It's frustrating when people like me talk this way about your product. A product that has a lot of potential and where a lot of effort has been put in.
On the other hand I hope you understand that this doesn't come from nowhere...
Yes, the first couple of emails were answered quickly but in time communication became worse. As you can see, I'm not the only one experiencing this.
If you think all emails were answered, you definitely are misinformed...
This simply is NOT true.

Your initial problems were with the Android version of the app using a less popular brand and model of the phone.
Pointing this out this way looks like you want to make this my problem Noah...
I'm sorry that in your opinion my Sony Xperia V is a "less popular brand and model of phone" but this very same phone and Android version was on your "compatible phone list" when I bought the iDip.
I think it is fair to expect the app to work properly then, but maybe you think about this differently.

As far as problems with phosphate, you are the only person to tell us your marine PO4 results are inaccurate.
This again is a school example of non-communication, I'm very sorry sorry to say so Noah.
If you can tell me, with dry eyes, that I'm the only person having these issues with PO4 then it's time to speak to your English colleague Luke Thurville...
The issues with PO4 were pointed out more than once and not only by me. This was told Luke personal and on the iDip Facebook Group that was discontinued.

All testers have a +/- so with a lower limit of 0.02ppm it is not surprising you get LO.
I understand Noah, but I think you're taking a little shortcut here.
Yes, if the lower limit indeed is 0.02ppm, I have nothing to complain. But for the end-user it's very hard to find out any technical specs concerning the iDip. How did ITS communicate with his customers when the PO4 lower limit went to 0.02ppm?
This was one of my previous mentioned conserns, not knowing anymore what "LO" means...

In this forum you said you had problems with NO3 but in your email you state “I checked the iDip with the Fauna Marin Reference Fluid today, NO3 and PO4. NO3 is perfect, again 11ppm against a reference fluid of 10ppm…
This has nothing to do with "controlling and following proper technique" and it's starting to sound denigrating.
This also was communicated with your colleague Luke Thurville and it started when the European distributor told me I should test my iDip with a reference fluid.
I did a lot of testing and you're absolutly correct Noah, that testing my iDip with the Fauna Marin gave me NO3 results that were really spot on, great!
But on the other hand, PO4 was way off, really way off. I told Luke the NO3 results looked great but the PO4 not that great... ;-)
Luke Thurville told me on the phone and on this Facebook group, this reference fluid "doesn't reflect seawater" and the iDip could NOT be tested this way...
Two interesting things here:
1) the PO4 issue has been mentioned
2) saying the Fauna Marin Reference Fluid does not reflect seawater.

Concerning the second, of course I checked this with Fauna Marin overhere in Germany and I'm sure you know what I wrote about their comment on this.
It's sad to see though, that you only pick some items out of my conversation and leave out the others...
This way you put things into the wrong perspective.

But okay, if the iDip CAN be tested with reference fluid, NO3 really is spot on! Unfortunately PO4 is way off though.
If it can NOT be tested with reference fluid, why are you bringing this up then? The results can NOT be trusted then, can they? Which one is it Noah?

Funny to mention is that Luke asked me where he could buy this Fauna Marin Reference Fluid...;-)

Finally, as you are aware, we will soon have the ReadySnap 8 marine water reference solution with confirmed with known analyte values everyone can test and compare.
That's great Noah, eventhough I'm not sure we need again another reference fluid.
What distinguishes your ReadySnap 8 marine water from say the Fauna Marin Noah?

I think most things has been said Noah. From here we have to look forward.
It's more than okay that you point out your feelings about my comments to me, but why don't you point out the many times I said the iDip has great potential, well made, user friendly etc...?
And I DO think about it this way. If ITS can solve the remaining flaws and I think they can, we have a great testing device in our hands which can be very, very popular.
As you know Noah, I'm from Holland and live in Germany. Germans are very accurate, they simply are.
The first thing I think they would do, is test the iDip agains well known Reference Fluids.
The second thing probably is, they send in there Reference fluid and their marine sample to a recognised lab.
Case closed...

What I mean to say here, it makes no sence discussing the same issues time after time after time...
We will all benefit from it when the iDip is accurate. All the input that was given, no not always as nice, is meant to make the iDip better!! Please keep this in mind!
And when you think everything is more than okay, that's fine by me. Eventually we will find out whether this is true or not. Then we can stop giving you input anymore.
Noah, we are only human and it's allowed to make mistakes. Important is how to deal with these mistakes...

I think most of the users will understand that things has to be improved, polished. I'm glad things improve but most important is: BE HONEST ABOUT IT and COMMUNICATE... ;-)
For me, user of the iDip, I want to know what is happening. I want to know when things like specs or limits has changed. We put an enormous amoutn of money into our reef tanks and we are dealing with living creatures.
We have to know whether our test device can be trusted or not, I'm sure you understand.
Let's learn from this and make the iDip better!

Also, I have arranged for another free marine refill box to be sent to you.
Thank you so much Noah! Will this be send by Luke?
I will let you know as soon as it has arrived.

Noah, for now a have a remaining question: I'm almost out of CA strips.
Do the new CAH strips replace the old CA strips? Or are these still available?

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Noah,

I understand your disappointment Noah. It's frustrating when people like me talk this way about your product. A product that has a lot of potential and where a lot of effort has been put in.
Yes, the first couple of emails were answered quickly but in time communication became worse. As you can see, I'm not the only one experiencing this.
This simply is NOT true.

I'm sorry that in your opinion my Sony Xperia V is a "less popular brand and model of phone" but this very same phone and Android version was on your "compatible phone list" when I bought the iDip.
I think it is fair to expect the app to work properly then, but maybe you think about this differently.

This again is a school example of non-communication, I'm very sorry sorry to say so Noah.
If you can tell me, with dry eyes, that I'm the only person having these issues with PO4 then it's time to speak to your English colleague Luke Thurville...
The issues with PO4 were pointed out more than once and not only by me. This was told Luke personal and on the iDip Facebook Group that was discontinued.

Yes, if the lower limit indeed is 0.02ppm, I have nothing to complain. But for the end-user it's very hard to find out any technical specs concerning the iDip. How did ITS communicate with his customers when the PO4 lower limit went to 0.02ppm?
This was one of my previous mentioned conserns, not knowing anymore what "LO" means...

This has nothing to do with "controlling and following proper technique" and it's starting to sound denigrating.
This also was communicated with your colleague Luke Thurville and it started when the European distributor told me I should test my iDip with a reference fluid.
I did a lot of testing and you're absolutly correct Noah, that testing my iDip with the Fauna Marin gave me NO3 results that were really spot on, great!
But on the other hand, PO4 was way off, really way off. I told Luke the NO3 results looked great but the PO4 not that great... ;-)
Luke Thurville told me on the phone and on this Facebook group, this reference fluid "doesn't reflect seawater" and the iDip could NOT be tested this way...

Concerning the second, of course I checked this with Fauna Marin overhere in Germany and I'm sure you know what I wrote about their comment on this.
It's sad to see though, that you only pick some items out of my conversation and leave out the others...

But okay, if the iDip CAN be tested with reference fluid, NO3 really is spot on! Unfortunately PO4 is way off though.
If it can NOT be tested with reference fluid, why are you bringing this up then? The results can NOT be trusted then, can they? Which one is it Noah?

Funny to mention is that Luke asked me where he could buy this Fauna Marin Reference Fluid...;-)

That's great Noah, eventhough I'm not sure we need again another reference fluid.

It's more than okay that you point out your feelings about my comments to me, but why don't you point out the many times I said the iDip has great potential, well made, user friendly etc...?
And I DO think about it this way. If ITS can solve the remaining flaws and I think they can, we have a great testing device in our hands which can be very, very popular.
As you know Noah, I'm from Holland and live in Germany. Germans are very accurate, they simply are.
The first thing I think they would do, is test the iDip agains well known Reference Fluids.
The second thing probably is, they send in there Reference fluid and their marine sample to a recognised lab.
Case closed...

What I mean to say here, it makes no sence discussing the same issues time after time after time...
We will all benefit from it when the iDip is accurate. All the input that was given, no not always as nice, is meant to make the iDip better!! Please keep this in mind!
And when you think everything is more than okay, that's fine by me. Eventually we will find out whether this is true or not. Then we can stop giving you input anymore.
Noah, we are only human and it's allowed to make mistakes. Important is how to deal with these mistakes...

I think most of the users will understand that things has to be improved, polished. I'm glad things improve but most important is: BE HONEST ABOUT IT and COMMUNICATE... ;-)
For me, user of the iDip, I want to know what is happening. I want to know when things like specs or limits has changed. We put an enormous amoutn of money into our reef tanks and we are dealing with living creatures.
We have to know whether our test device can be trusted or not, I'm sure you understand.

Hi Noah,

This simply is NOT true.

Case closed...

Good communication is key and with that being said the best place to reach us is through email [email protected] in the US and [email protected] in Europe. Also this link http://www.sensafe.com/news-updates-exact-idip-570/ shows all the current updates and news referring to the the iDip 570 photometer. I will be sending the refill kit directly from the US (it could take up to 10 days). The CAH strips do replace the CA strips.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back