Exact iDip Digital Water Testing

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to say something. When I heard about IDip from a friend, I went to the web to find out about it.
To be honest, within 10 min of me searching and reading the little reviews here and there.

My excitement turn sour real fast. Somehow I found this site, which I didn't even know it existed.
I think this thread is the only one that I have seen about the IDip . I saw the contest to win a starter kit, so I said I give a shot.

I saw the email with the winner name, started with a (M) for 1 sec it got me, lol.

Now after reading 37 pages on IDip, I have some hope on the product.
I think Noah is doing his best to help the group. This product has some growing pains, and maybe soon it will in the past.

One thing I would like to Noah to understand, when we test our tanks, its sort of stressful to us because after we get our data.
We must react to that data in some form.
When you start losing faith on the tester itself, you going to have a riot on your hands, its only normal human reaction.

I really do like how your supporting the group and especially sending them new test refills.
Keep in mind I do not think people mind paying for test kits, but they need to have that emotional feeling the test are accurate enough for them to do something with the data.
Looking forward of the future your product.
Thank you and I do understand about your data. I am a chemist and ran a water quality testing lab before I joined the ITS team so I completely understand reacting to your data. The iDip is a phenomenal tester and is used across 20+ markets.

C Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noah,

Would you entertain a personal tutorial at MACNA? I would bring my water sample, strips and photometer and we can then test the parameters I am having issues with (ALK, THU, MAG), with your photometer (you conducting the test) then my photometer (Me conducting the test). I would hope to discover the error in my technique by doing this. As of now I am stumped.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noah,

Would you entertain a personal tutorial at MACNA? I would bring my water sample, strips and photometer and we can then test the parameters I am having issues with (ALK, THU, MAG), with your photometer (you conducting the test) then my photometer (Me conducting the test). I would hope to discover the error in my technique by doing this. As of now I am stumped.
Yes we are working on trying to set up a time and location for a workshop. If that is not possible you and I can set up a time when we can go through it one on one.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extensive YouTube videos on the proper techniques for using the iDip would really help.
This is also in the works. If you have any video's that you believe will be beneficial to everyone please leave your suggestions. Thank you

C Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Noah. Truly appreciate the dedicated customer service.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday everyone!! Just wanted to confirm something with the group and forum. A room has been reserved for us at MACNA to perform a hands on workshop so bring your iDip's please. I (Noah) will be running the workshop. We will start in a large group and then I will work with individuals as it is needed. I will post when I have the exact time and location for you. Hope everyone has a great weekend and I look forward to meeting everyone at MACNA!!!

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will have a booth at reef-a-palooza in New York if anybody wants to come see us and talk about the iDip.

PupChow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw Reef Builders' video coverage of iDip at Reef-a-Palooza and was very intrigued, figure I would do some researching before committing to the system which led me to this thread. Much love to a company that responses positively to feedbacks and actively tweaks it's product. Sounds like there may still be some pain points being worked out, will definitely stop by during MACNA to see how the product has grown and maybe walk out with a set. :)

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw Reef Builders' video coverage of iDip at Reef-a-Palooza and was very intrigued, figure I would do some researching before committing to the system which led me to this thread. Much love to a company that responses positively to feedbacks and actively tweaks it's product. Sounds like there may still be some pain points being worked out, will definitely stop by during MACNA to see how the product has grown and maybe walk out with a set. :)
Look forward to seeing you at MACNA!

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Package has arrived Noah, thanks...!
My first impression testing with THU and CAH and the latest app version, the readings are looking more like they should.
I haven't compared the readings with e.g. the Salifert tests but I will send in a water sample tomorrow.
I will keep you posted...;)

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the results, let's say it's interesting... ;)
I planned to send in the water sample last monday but I couldn't make it, so I've send it in last tuesday.

I also tested te very same samplewater with my iDip, latest app version, THU and CAH.
Rinsed and cleaned the cell very carefully every time and tried to keep a constant pace swiping the strip and meanwhile looking at the seconds counting down on the iDip.
Now and then touching the bottom of the cell with the strip, while swiping, to be sure it was dipped in correctly.

I tested the sample water twice, here are the results.
First iDip test cycle:

KH: 8,85 dKH
PH: 8,0 PH
Hardness: 6537 ppm
CA: 444,80 ppm (as CA)
MG: 1317,19 ppm (as Mg+2)
PO4: LO ppm
NO3: LO (as NO3)

Second iDip test cycle:

KH: 8,29 dKH
Hardness: 6783 ppm
CA: 445,60 ppm (as CA)
MG: 1376,43 ppm (as Mg+2)

I did the more simple lab test this time, here are the results: https://www.reef2reef.com/attachmen...5/?temp_hash=c1a5940ea9e7707662b8d374377c9222

I was a bit surprised when I looked at the lab results concerning KH and PH...
A PH of 7,14 PH is way (!) too low...:eek:
And, the ALK is too high, just above 10 dKH.

I did a quick check with a JBL test strip and I must say, eventhough it's not always easy to read, the PH looks a bit on the low side.
I mean more in the direction of 7 than it is to 8.
I also checked with Salifert, again I think the PH might be off.
Also tested the ALK with a Salifert test: 9,9 dKH.

It's in the evening overhere and I stopped dosing my natriumbicarbonate/natriumcarbonate mix and also stopped dosing my carbon source (vinegar) for now.
I will take a water sample to the European distributor (Veldhuis Aquaria) tomorrow and see what they think about the PH and ALK.

What do you think about CA and MG?
I think it's not bad at all !
I'll keep you posted... :D

Attachments

• Ergebnisprotokoll.pdf
    575.1 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the results, let's say it's interesting... ;)
I planned to send in the water sample last monday but I couldn't make it, so I've send it in last tuesday.

I also tested te very same samplewater with my iDip, latest app version, THU and CAH.
Rinsed and cleaned the cell very carefully every time and tried to keep a constant pace swiping the strip and meanwhile looking at the seconds counting down on the iDip.
Now and then touching the bottom of the cell with the strip, while swiping, to be sure it was dipped in correctly.

I tested the sample water twice, here are the results.
First iDip test cycle:

KH: 8,85 dKH
Hardness: 6537 ppm
CA: 444,80 ppm (as CA)
MG: 1317,19 ppm (as Mg+2)

Second iDip test cycle:

KH: 8,29 dKH
Hardness: 6783 ppm
CA: 445,60 ppm (as CA)
MG: 1376,43 ppm (as Mg+2)

I did the more simple lab test this time, here are the results: https://www.reef2reef.com/attachmen...5/?temp_hash=c1a5940ea9e7707662b8d374377c9222

I was a bit surprised when I looked at the lab results concerning KH and PH...
A PH of 7,14 PH is way (!) too low...:eek:
And, the ALK is too high, just above 10 dKH.

I did a quick check with a JBL test strip and I must say, eventhough it's not always easy to read, the PH looks a bit on the low side.
I mean more in the direction of 7 than it is to 8.
I also checked with Salifert, again I think the PH might be off.
Also tested the ALK with a Salifert test: 9,9 dKH.

It's in the evening overhere and I stopped dosing my natriumbicarbonate/natriumcarbonate mix and also stopped dosing my carbon source (vinegar) for now.
I will take a water sample to the European distributor (Veldhuis Aquaria) tomorrow and see what they think about the PH and ALK.

What do you think about CA and MG?
I think it's not bad at all !
I'll keep you posted... :D
Thank you so much for sharing your results with us. We really appreciate it.

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure Noah, no problem.
If I can be of any help, just let me know... ;)

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure Noah, no problem.
If I can be of any help, just let me know... ;)
Could you possibly send about 250mL of that water sample to ITS Europe? Our chemists would like to do some additional testing. The address would be
Attn: Luke Turville
ITS Europe, LTD
UK Centre for Homeland Security
Bldg. 7, Chilmark Salisbury, Wiltshire | SP3 5DU | UK

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exact sample water is not possible Noah.
I took the sample last tuesday, did the iDip tests and send 0,5L to Reef Analytics.
I have nothing left of this exact water but I'm more than happy to take another sample, e.g. monday, and compare this with my iDip readings at that very same moment.
Would that be of any help Noah?
If not, let's find a way I can help.

On the other hand, would it be a good idea to repeat the whole thing again, send in another water sample to Reef Analytics, do additional tests with my iDip AND send a sample to Luke?
Maybe Luke can get in touch with me.

Last edited:

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noah, we tested the water at Veldhuis, KH was indeed too high but what most concerns me is the PH.
PH was determined with a Milwaukee digital PH meter and we measered a PH between 7,2 - 7,25 PH, which is dangerously low... :eek:
To be clear, my iDip shows me a reading of 8,0 PH.

minagos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH was determined with a Milwaukee digital PH meter and we measered a PH between 7,2 - 7,25 PH, which is dangerously low... :eek:
To be clear, my iDip shows me a reading of 8,0 PH.

Please do not take this wrong, but not sure which Milwaukee digital pH meter you use, but my understanding most all if not all Milwaukee meters are junk.
Check your the spec on the meter you used, you might be surprise, the accuracy it has , the resolution means nothing.

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what your saying... ;)
It's more like the sum of different outcomes, labtest, Salifert, JBL and now the Milwaukee test.
They all show a too low PH level, which to me looks concerning.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back