Exact iDip Digital Water Testing

minagos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is coral skeletons would be dissolving around 7.4 pH. I wouldn't trust any of it.

FYI, I had pH probe go bad, so I took sample water to my work, they have a lab pH meter.
It read 7.4, the small jar was completely sealed. When I got my new probe, it was reading around 8.00
So moving my sample water on a 20 min drive, mess up the reading. My pH was never that low.

Arne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I believe that shipping sample water could change e.g. the PH value.
But the Salifert and JBL test were done here at home...

But okay, interesting is we are now triggered to watch the PH reading more than before.
Whether the iDip reading is correct or not, let's have a closer look at it.
Maybe others are able to compare their water with different tests.
It might help to make the iDip beter... ;)

What do you mean by "dissolving"?
Is that a skeleton disapearing or turning white?
I had a nice Duncan which lost its tentacles and turned white last week.

minagos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "dissolving"?
Is that a skeleton disapearing or turning white?
I had a nice Duncan which lost its tentacles and turned white last week.

Yes, is everything else OK ?

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I will not buy iDip, if you cannot trust a simple pH test, omg.
He did not get a 7.4 reading with our unit. He received that reading from other test kits. Also, shipping and air space in the sample container will affect pH results. They will deviate from their actual value.

nc208082

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a ph standard you could use? That would show if idip is accurate or the home kit.

larcat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no dog in the iDip fight, though I would love it if it is reliable and accurate!

Just wanted to charm in on Ph. If you let aquarium water sit over time, i.e for something like shipping, you will almost certainly see Ph changes, potentially large ones.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday everyone!! Just wanted to confirm something with the group and forum. A room has been reserved for us at MACNA to perform a hands on workshop so bring your iDip's please. I (Noah) will be running the workshop. We will start in a large group and then I will work with individuals as it is needed. I will post when I have the exact time and location for you. Hope everyone has a great weekend and I look forward to meeting everyone at MACNA!!!
you will be taping this for a you tube tutorial as well correct?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we are working on trying to set up a time and location for a workshop. If that is not possible you and I can set up a time when we can go through it one on one.

Di you ever get the room number and time for the workshop? I have my iDip in my suitcase will be flying in on Thursday morning.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Di you ever get the room number and time for the workshop? I have my iDip in my suitcase will be flying in on Thursday morning.
The workshop is Saturday August 26th 11:30Am Meeting Room 243-245. There will be a postcard in the bag you receive on Friday as well. Look forward to meeting you.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see it on your web site. Do you mean manganese or magnesium?

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see it on your web site. Do you mean manganese or magnesium?
If you go to this site http://www.sensafe.com/exact-idip-570nm/ and scroll down you will see how our unit calculates magnesium. The app will automatically do it for you after you complete the Total hardness and Calcium tests. You never have to do a hand calculation again.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. That's sounds great. Can you make a minor test kit to test Alkalinity, Calcium, magnesium, and PH? $320 is a lot to spend for those 4 tests. If you could sell a kit with what's needed for those 4 tests for under $200, I think you could sell a lot of them pretty fast.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. That's sounds great. Can you make a minor test kit to test Alkalinity, Calcium, magnesium, and PH? $320 is a lot to spend for those 4 tests. If you could sell a kit with what's needed for those 4 tests for under $200, I think you could sell a lot of them pretty fast.
You can always order the meter and reagents separately instead of the whole kit.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with this kit I picked up @ Macna.
my results are total Hardness of 5471ppm and Calcium hardness of 1092ppm and Magnesium 4379ppm these seem like crazy numbers? I have run the test three times and achieved similar results each time. my Calcium is 440 with the Hanna tester and Mg tested @ 1320 ppm with red sea test kit.

Last edited:

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with this kit I picked up @ Macna.
my results are total Hardness of 5471ppm and Calcium hardness of 1092ppm and Magnesium 4379ppm these seem like crazy numbers? I have run the test three times and achieved similar results each time. my Calcium is 440 with the Hanna tester and Mg tested @ 1320 ppm with red sea test kit.
The Calcium test needs to be read in ppm as Ca and Magnesium needs to be read in ppm as Mg+2. This can be changed by going to the profile tab in the app and clicking on the preferred units of measure button.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back