Exact iDip Digital Water Testing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with this kit I picked up @ Macna.
my results are total Hardness of 5471ppm and Calcium hardness of 1092ppm and Magnesium 4379ppm these seem like crazy numbers? I have run the test three times and achieved similar results each time. my Calcium is 440 with the Hanna tester and Mg tested @ 1320 ppm with red sea test kit.

1092 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents (which are the units of calcium hardness), equates to 1092 *0.4 = 437 ppm calcium.

The magnesium of 4379 ppm in units of calcium carbonate equivalents (a ridiculous unit) equates to (4379 / 100 )* 24.3 = 1,064 ppm magnesium.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-08/rhf/index.php

ppm calcium carbonate equivalents

ppm calcium carbonate (CaCO3) equivalents is an ambiguous unit used for a variety of measures by reef aquarists, including alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and total hardness. In the case of alkalinity and calcium, the unit refers to the amount (in ppm) of calcium carbonate that would have to dissolve into pure water to give the same calcium concentration or alkalinity (even if that would be impossible to accomplish). For calcium, 1000 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents equals 400 ppm calcium ion. For alkalinity, 100 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents equals 2 meq/L or 5.6 dKH. In the case of magnesium, the concentration refers to the amount of calcium carbonate that would have to dissolve to provide the same number of calcium ions as magnesium ions are present. For magnesium, 1000 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents equals 243 ppm magnesium ion. In the case of total hardness, the unit refers to the amount of calcium carbonate that would have to dissolve to provide the same number of calcium ions as the total of calcium and magnesium in solution. Using ppm calcium carbonate equivalents for magnesium and total hardness is poor practice as they are hard for most aquarists to understand, but they are used for historical reasons by certain testing companies (e.g., Hach, Figure 3). A calculator for converting between different alkalinity units is online here. A calculator for determining how much of different supplements to add to boost alkalinity, as well as calcium and magnesium, is online here.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Calcium test needs to be read in ppm as Ca and Magnesium needs to be read in ppm as Mg+2. This can be changed by going to the profile tab in the app and clicking on the preferred units of measure button.
great, thank you.

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my kit at MACNA as well. It was sent to me, but I requested that the "Marine Kit" contain the tests that are used by a established tank. I don't need 2 bottles of Ammonia test strips, nor do I need them in the refill kit I also ordered at the MACNA sale price. Frustrated when my delivery had 2 bottles of Ammonia strips in each box and no ALK tests. Robin Locklair in customer service emailed that she will send out the correct bottles I requested, but after reading this entire thread, I'm surprised this was still an issue. It was discussed in 2015.
I'm getting used to using my kit and am pleased with the readings with some trial and error. I highly recommend reading each tests instructions the first few times!!! The quick start guide does not indicate what the liquid drops are for and how many drops are required for the indicated tests.
I'm still confused about the THU hardness test. There is a Tot UH Marine option that uses 9 drops of THU fluid and a Tot UH-II test that uses 14 drops of THU fluid. I understand these are for different ranges of hardness, but how do we decide which to use? I ran both and got a 4415 ppm on the low range and 6346 ppm on the high range. With a Calcium reading of 523 ppm, my Magnesium level calculated as 3107 ppm. Using the above conversion, my Mg would be 753!

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy!
I also find that the iDip indicates that my nitrates are 14-15 ppm, while my API and Salifert test kits indicate values of 25-50. Since I bought the iDip to closely monitor my nitrate issues, I'm wondering if I can trust their values, when 2 other kits show much higher ppm?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy!
I also find that the iDip indicates that my nitrates are 14-15 ppm, while my API and Salifert test kits indicate values of 25-50. Since I bought the iDip to closely monitor my nitrate issues, I'm wondering if I can trust their values, when 2 other kits show much higher ppm?

I have no idea which values are more accurate. Sorry.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my kit at MACNA as well. It was sent to me, but I requested that the "Marine Kit" contain the tests that are used by a established tank. I don't need 2 bottles of Ammonia test strips, nor do I need them in the refill kit I also ordered at the MACNA sale price. Frustrated when my delivery had 2 bottles of Ammonia strips in each box and no ALK tests. Robin Locklair in customer service emailed that she will send out the correct bottles I requested, but after reading this entire thread, I'm surprised this was still an issue. It was discussed in 2015.
I'm getting used to using my kit and am pleased with the readings with some trial and error. I highly recommend reading each tests instructions the first few times!!! The quick start guide does not indicate what the liquid drops are for and how many drops are required for the indicated tests.
I'm still confused about the THU hardness test. There is a Tot UH Marine option that uses 9 drops of THU fluid and a Tot UH-II test that uses 14 drops of THU fluid. I understand these are for different ranges of hardness, but how do we decide which to use? I ran both and got a 4415 ppm on the low range and 6346 ppm on the high range. With a Calcium reading of 523 ppm, my Magnesium level calculated as 3107 ppm. Using the above conversion, my Mg would be 753!
I am sorry for the inconvenience. Per notes in our database you were sent Total Alkalinity and Nitrate strips as a courtesy. I hope you received these and if you have any additional questions you can call us at 803-329-9712. All of our kits and refill boxes will continue to have ammonia present in them and we typically do not substitute strips.

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did receive the substitute strips! Thank you. I still recommend that these are much more important than Ammonia in the future.
I am sorry for the inconvenience. Per notes in our database you were sent Total Alkalinity and Nitrate strips as a courtesy. I hope you received these and if you have any additional questions you can call us at 803-329-9712. All of our kits and refill boxes will continue to have ammonia present in them and we typically do not substitute strips.
Y

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eXact iDip® Hey Noah, I hadn't used my Calcium test in a while and I realized that while I do have the CAH liquid reagent part # 486668, my strips are still the CA part # 486629. I see that there is now CAH strips part # 486668-A. Should I have received those when I received the new liquid reagent? Can I still use the old CA strips and expect accurate results?

Thanks,

Toby

Last edited:

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had success with this thing yet? After the last time it almost crashed my tank I haven’t even looked at it. It is sitting on the bottom shelf in my fish room

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out all my test are expired did run some test with them but they are way off the question now is is it worth it to buy new test ? I also see that they have a new calcium test different from the one they sold as a saltwater calcium test what’s up with that also ?

@Exact iDip.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eXact iDip® Hey Noah, I hadn't used my Calcium test in a while and I realized that while I do have the CAH liquid reagent part # 486668, my strips are still the CA part # 486629. I see that there is now CAH strips part # 486668-A. Should I have received those when I received the new liquid reagent? Can I still use the old CA strips and expect accurate results?

Thanks,

Toby
Yes you can use the Ca strips with the liquid reagent and expect the exact same results.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out all my test are expired did run some test with them but they are way off the question now is is it worth it to buy new test ? I also see that they have a new calcium test different from the one they sold as a saltwater calcium test what’s up with that also ?

@Exact iDip.
Your results could have been "way off" for two reasons. You used expired reagents which should never been done in a testing application if you want accurate results. Also your results could have been in a different unit of measure than what your other test kits read. You are correct we changed our calcium test kit. We updated the product a year ago.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your results could have been "way off" for two reasons. You used expired reagents which should never been done in a testing application if you want accurate results. Also your results could have been in a different unit of measure than what your other test kits read. You are correct we changed our calcium test kit. We updated the product a year ago.

Ok I understand about the expired reagents. What about the cal test the one you had told us to get is no longer good so do we have to buy the new one or will you change the one we have to the new one ?

I changed the unit of measurement already.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand about the expired reagents. What about the cal test the one you had told us to get is no longer good so do we have to buy the new one or will you change the one we have to the new one ?

I changed the unit of measurement already.
The CAH calcium test that we sell has been on the market for over a year so if you have CAH reagent and strips it is the correct reagent. If you have received reagents from us in the last 12 months you have the correct reagent.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CAH calcium test that we sell has been on the market for over a year so if you have CAH reagent and strips it is the correct reagent. If you have received reagents from us in the last 12 months you have the correct reagent.

I have not used it in over 12 months I had took a break from the hobby.
The cal test that I’m talking about is calcium ,fresh CA. This the one we where told to buy when you guys came out with the kit. So you are saying this is also no longer good ? And I need the CAH Calcium Test correct ?
So my question is are you guys say that I have to buy the CAH CAL IF so why ?
Why the customers that where told to buy the first did not just get an automatic upgrade since we bought the one that’s no longer good ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back