Extruded aluminum light slides... Like them?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices of aluminum have gotten so high from the COVID shortages and what have you that I'm having a hard time making myself pull the trigger on some of the equipment hangers and light racks I had planned.

Granted, my tanks are on the larger side of normal but the material for the stands and hangers are approaching the cost of a small car where as a couple of years ago it would have been closer to a small lawnmower lol.

Can anyone who's used sliding t-slot for light brackets or other aquarium purposes share how you like them and how they've held up?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a little different as I mounted one bar on each end of my 120. The T5 unit sat on the sliders 4" off the surface. This allowed me to slide them back out of the way to service the tank.
This worked very well for over a year.
You can check my build thread for how I mounted my halides.
It should not cost a small fortune to mount from above I would think even at current prices.
20191023_195459.jpg
20191023_194507.jpg
20191026_180143.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a little different as I mounted one bar on each end of my 120. The T5 unit sat on the sliders 4" off the surface. This allowed me to slide them back out of the way to service the tank.
This worked very well for over a year.
You can check my build thread for how I mounted my halides.
It should not cost a small fortune to mount from above I would think even at current prices.
20191023_195459.jpg
20191023_194507.jpg
20191026_180143.jpg

That's great. Mine will suspend from above attached to the steel stand so a little different. But same concept for sliding out of the way and easy removal! Awesome.

Has the aluminum held up well being that close to the salt?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. Mine will suspend from above attached to the steel stand so a little different. But same concept for sliding out of the way and easy removal! Awesome.

Has the aluminum held up well being that close to the salt?
Yes very well. I would recommend SS screws
I have them and need to replace the black ones as they rust. The anodized black Tslot has no exposed aluminum.
No issues at all with the 15 series Tslot.
Here is my current halide/OR3 setup. Some think its too cluttered but it works for me.
The lights are out of the way and the top is completely open and easy to work in.
Just took this pic.
20211028_161500.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very well. I would recommend SS screws
I have them and need to replace the black ones as they rust. The anodized black Tslot has no exposed aluminum.

Good tip. Thanks. Looks great and functional.

I was planning to go with the clear anodized because it will be hidden. Are you saying that you noticed a difference in the salt life between the black and clear?

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tip. Thanks. Looks great and functional.

I was planning to go with the clear anodized because it will be hidden. Are you saying that you noticed a difference in the salt life between the black and clear?
No. Just that the black has no exposed aluminum.
The regular ones are not coated I believe so the aluminum is exposed to salt but I dont think its an issue.
Also make sure you get the end caps.
I wipe salt spray,as I have quite the surface agitation, off the bars often with no issues.
Start a build thread so we can see the progress.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I love the T-slot stuff. But it is expensive. I've got the tools to cut, drill, and tap bars, so I can pretty much make anything with it. My stand is also T-slot. It's clear anodized and has been holding up for several years against salt water. I did go back and change out all of the bolts to stainless steel. The black steel bolts were starting to rust that I used on the stand. 7 or 8 years ago when I built everything, I bought Faztek 4' bars off of Amazon for $20 with free shipping. Now they look like they're $35. A lot of people recommend framing tech. Never used them. I've bought a few smaller pieces recently from 80/20, and their shipping is outrageous. They wrap and package their stuff really good though, no scratches or blemishes.
IMG_20211029_115817.jpg
IMG_20211029_115853.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you show some closer pictures of how you get the slide to track with just the glide and how you fasten it?

A lot of the t-slot cost is in the 8020 linear bearings for my brackets to slide.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you show some closer pictures of how you get the slide to track with just the glide and how you fasten it?

A lot of the t-slot cost is in the 8020 linear bearings for my brackets to slide.
This just a nylon slider that runs in the Tslot trac. Their is no fastening as it just slides. My ati unit sat on top and I just slid it back.
If hanging it you can screw into the nylon to hang it and then just slide it back and forth.
20191023_195459.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices of aluminum have gotten so high from the COVID shortages and what have you that I'm having a hard time making myself pull the trigger on some of the equipment hangers and light racks I had planned.

Granted, my tanks are on the larger side of normal but the material for the stands and hangers are approaching the cost of a small car where as a couple of years ago it would have been closer to a small lawnmower lol.

Can anyone who's used sliding t-slot for light brackets or other aquarium purposes share how you like them and how they've held up?
Love mine. Used 80/20. Light but strong. Holding 7 Radions XR15’s. Used m5 screws to attach the lights to the t slot.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back