Fallow periods: Going Fishless

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my first question is how will you treat the fish for ich? You may have issues with some species due to copper sensitivity. You could do hyposalinity dependent also on your fish species. Copper will also kill your live sand and affect the nitrafying bacteria.

Good luck. I've had all my fish in qt for almost 3 months. And made a couple of mistakes. Mainly my copperband butterflyfish was sensitive to copper and died.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using REEF2REEF mobile app

As I catch them, they will first receive a freshwater dip, then into the tank Transfer Method 5 gallon buckets for ich, treat prazipro in conjunction with TTM, then into 20 gal QT tank for a week or 2, if good, then into trough to wait out DT fallow period.

I’m not a copper fan, plus I have some wrasses. I’m sorry about the copperband, that’s on my wish list.

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I catch them, they will first receive a freshwater dip, then into the tank Transfer Method 5 gallon buckets for ich, treat prazipro in conjunction with TTM, then into 20 gal QT tank for a week or 2, if good, then into trough to wait out DT fallow period.

I’m not a copper fan, plus I have some wrasses. I’m sorry about the copperband, that’s on my wish list.
You seem to have this totally under control. Best of luck.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my first question is how will you treat the fish for ich? You may have issues with some species due to copper sensitivity. You could do hyposalinity dependent also on your fish species. Copper will also kill your live sand and affect the nitrafying bacteria.

Good luck. I've had all my fish in qt for almost 3 months. And made a couple of mistakes. Mainly my copperband butterflyfish was sensitive to copper and died.

Sorry about your Copperband Butterfly. They are sensitive to Ionic copper (Cupramine) but OK with Chelated copper (Copper Safe, Copper Power)
Here's a link to a Fish & Treatment chart with recommendations for most of our fish: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does running UV 24/7 reduce the fallow period by any means? I have gone through a velvet out break and it killed all my fish. I have gone through 4 weeks of fallow period while running a 120W pentair UV on the 400G system. Do I need to wait the full six weeks or am I good to go? My guess is six weeks is still a much better bet but just curious.Thanks.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Humblefish

Looks like i may have introduced ich. I was planning on moving everything from my current tank to a new one in my living room. Is it ok to transfer all rock, coral, and inverts along with some equipment to a new tank during my fallow period? I would then just carry out the remainder of the time in the new tank. I figure it would be easier to make the switch to the new tank while my fish are in QT. Do you see any problems with this method? The total time fishless would still total the 76 days minimum...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

Looks like i may have introduced ich. I was planning on moving everything from my current tank to a new one in my living room. Is it ok to transfer all rock, coral, and inverts along with some equipment to a new tank during my fallow period? I would then just carry out the remainder of the time in the new tank. I figure it would be easier to make the switch to the new tank while my fish are in QT. Do you see any problems with this method? The total time fishless would still total the 76 days minimum...

Should be fine as long as everything wet from that tank was fish-less for 76 days

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should be fine as long as everything wet from that tank was fish-less for 76 days

Good deal. I wasnt sure if messing with it like that would have any sort of impact on the amount of time i need to wait. In total it would probably be a few weeks in the origonal tank and the rest in the new tank. What a pain this is!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. I wasnt sure if messing with it like that would have any sort of impact on the amount of time i need to wait. In total it would probably be a few weeks in the origonal tank and the rest in the new tank. What a pain this is!
Yeah it's no fun, but it's worth it in the end! I lose zero sleep about disease in my tanks. It was all worth it and I messed up fallow twice -- ONCE by cross-contaminating with my arm (one hand in QT then another in my DT for several days before thinking "AWW no that was dumb" -- too late) and another was a Yellow Watchman Goby I didn't remove from the system, I had thought it dead - it was in the sump hidden the entire "fallow" period. Frustrating!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah it's no fun, but it's worth it in the end! I lose zero sleep about disease in my tanks. It was all worth it and I messed up fallow twice -- ONCE by cross-contaminating with my arm (one hand in QT then another in my DT for several days before thinking "AWW no that was dumb" -- too late) and another was a Yellow Watchman Goby I didn't remove from the system, I had thought it dead - it was in the sump hidden the entire "fallow" period. Frustrating!

Haha wow that stinks! Im more concerned about my ability to treat my clowns with copper. Looks like i might be investing in the hanna checker after all...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha wow that stinks! Im more concerned about my ability to treat my clowns with copper. Looks like i might be investing in the hanna checker after all...
Clowns do just fine in copper :)

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. How do I keep my CUC alive during the fallow period? I have snails and hermits, bristleworms, ampipods, and copepods.

I have been dropping in a pinch of pod flakes from IFSF every other day so far just to keep my nitrates and phosphates up. The fuge has Ulva in that the ampipods eat. I have freeze dried Nori on hand that I can drop into the tank. I have keeping only the blue light on. I don’t have corals to feed atm.

I have noticed an explosion in copepod population since I pulled my fish out (they are everywhere now [emoji79])

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. How do I keep my CUC alive during the fallow period? I have snails and hermits, bristleworms, ampipods, and copepods.

I have been dropping in a pinch of pod flakes from IFSF every other day so far just to keep my nitrates and phosphates up. The fuge has Ulva in that the ampipods eat. I have freeze dried Nori on hand that I can drop into the tank. I have keeping only the blue light on. I don’t have corals to feed atm.

I have noticed an explosion in copepod population since I pulled my fish out (they are everywhere now [emoji79])
Unless your DT is very clean you don't need to do anything different. Should be plenty for your CuC to survive on.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could feed the pods some phytoplankton. Algae Barn has real nice fresh, ready to go phyto, pods, etc. Keep an eye on the hermits. If there is a lack of food, I've seen them turn into little terrorists, killing the snails in the tank. Won't add another hermit every into my tanks. Those dudes killed a bunch of my pricey snails. :mad::eek:

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could feed the pods some phytoplankton. Algae Barn has real nice fresh, ready to go phyto, pods, etc. Keep an eye on the hermits. If there is a lack of food, I've seen them turn into little terrorists, killing the snails in the tank. Won't add another hermit every into my tanks. Those dudes killed a bunch of my pricey snails. [emoji35][emoji33]

They are hermits from IPSF. They call them micro hermits. I normally wouldn’t get hermits because they murder snails, but those ones came with my live sand package ‍♂️. My wrasse ate a few of them so these are the survivors

I have some phyto left over from algae barn that has been in the fridge. It’s about 3 months into the fridge. Wasn’t sure if it was safe to dose.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been trying to google this, but i cannot seem to find the length of fallow time to combat vibrio or at least what i have been told is vibrio

IMG-20181215-WA0004.jpg

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

So my DT has been falling for 3 weeks now and I just realized something, my buddies tank is literally about 2 feet from my tank. I know his tank had ich (those fish died and I got rid of some) BUT the only fish that remain in there now is a 6line wrasse and 2 clown fish that have never shown signs of ich and are healthy pigs. My question is, did I just waste 3 weeks of fallow due to the tank being so close to mine? (Aerosol transmission)

I read that clowns are a little more resistant to ich so I'm kinda hoping ich is dying off....

What should i do? Move his aquarium and reset the clock

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been trying to google this, but i cannot seem to find the length of fallow time to combat vibrio or at least what i have been told is vibrio

IMG-20181215-WA0004.jpg
#reefsquad please look at this

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.2%
Back