Feeding the tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
21,791
Reaction score
73,700
Location
Long Island NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely didn't call this "feeding the fish" or "feeding the corals"
because we all know we have to feed those.
I use an automatic feeder to feed the "tank" itself.
Much of the livestock in a well established tank is not fish or corals. There are all sorts of things living in there that came by accident that we should strive to cultivate. I have always felt that most tanks are much too sterile. I know a lot of people like that look but IMO it is not healthy. I also know about nitrate but that is a different thing for a different thread.
In "my" tank at least there are hundreds or maybe thousands of brittlestars, tube worms, amphipods, copepods, spaghetti worms, bristle worms etc. I like these creatures as much or more than the animals I paid for. A healthy population of "free" organisms provide food and filtration for a tank with the added benefit of making it much more natural.
When I feed my tank, I see numerous arms poking out of every crevace. Tiny snails that I can hardly see start slinking around and the spaghetti worms
come to life. Of course the larger hermit crabs have excellent odor receptors and head straight for the food.
In my automatic feeder I put some flakes and pellets. Of course the fish eat some of it, but the rest manages to make it to all the crevaces to feed these other, (more interesting in my opinion) animals.
If they were larger and we could see them better, they are many times more interesting than fish. Much of this stuff is right out of science fiction.
If it were not for these organisms I would not be able to keep tiny clown gobies, blue stripe pipefish and mandarins.
They grow naturally in the sea and I feel theuy should populate our tanks.
They, of course have to be added from somewhere and a portion of them come on good quality live rock but they must be fed.
Just my opinion of course. How do you feel about this?
 
I agree with you Paul that with established tanks there are tons of micro-fauna critters that need some sort of feeding. It's finding the balance between not starving your reef and not over feeding it either.

If anyone does not think they have a tank with all sorts of critters, check out your tank with a red lense flashlight after the lights have been out for a while and you'll be surprised at what you see!
 
Great thread Paul. Totally agree. I feed the tank with Rod's and stuff comes out from everywhere to get it. It's awesome to see. I never bought a Stomatella snail but 1 appeared one day and now I have hundreds of them, all different sizes in my tank. Asterina snails, bristle worms, pods. It's fun to watch especially at night.
 
check out your tank with a red lense flashlight after the lights have been out for a while and you'll be surprised at what you see!

I love this stuff, my tank is very old so when I look close at night with a red light I can sometimes see manta rays. :wink:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new