Fiji Cube Leaking Bulkhead (Damage?)

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping for a quick reply.. There is a small divot on my Fiji Cube bulkhead which I think is the source of my salt creep I have been seeing.

IMG_3289.JPG

The thing that bothers me is the bulkhead doesnt seem to be a standard slip-slip as it has an edge for the shadow overflow portion to push against. Can I use a standard 1" bulkhead from BRS or do I need to contact Fiji Cube for replacement? I didn't notice this on install so not sure when it happened but its a minor leak. Anything I can do for tonight to help it seal better or just wrap with towels?
IMG_3290.JPG

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused.
First, I don't see a gasket. Do you have one installed?
Also, do you have any pipes installed, because they should be glued in.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused.
First, I don't see a gasket. Do you have one installed?
Also, do you have any pipes installed, because they should be glued in.
Ok, nevermind. I see the gasket in the first pic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty standard bulkhead to me. Not sure what you mean by 'edge'.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how do you have this bulkhead installed? And where is the salt creep coming from? Virtually every bulkhead you buy will have that divot you are talking about, it is formed during the injection mold process.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how do you have this bulkhead installed? And where is the salt creep coming from? Virtually every bulkhead you buy will have that divot you are talking about, it is formed during the injection mold process.
Very interesting to know

Flange and gasket going through the tank so gasket is against back glass. I rinsed the glass with RO and took a razor blade to it to scrape away any debris and let it dry. Threads going through the glass then the outer gasket against the back glass. The box and the bulkhead. I am starting to realize that might not be correct...

Hard to tell where its coming from because it starts from behind the box

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Think I realized my error. I painted the back of my tank and didn't leave a ring of clean glass for the gasket to make a good seal.

Anyone have an idea about the inner lip on the bulkhead? Its fairly beatup after 6-7 un installs and reinstalls so might want to replace that in the future.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Think I realized my error. I painted the back of my tank and didn't leave a ring of clean glass for the gasket to make a good seal.

Anyone have an idea about the inner lip on the bulkhead? Its fairly beatup after 6-7 un installs and reinstalls so might want to replace that in the future.

You should be able to replace it with a regular bulkhead from BRS if you wish. That inner edge is basically a plumbing stopper to prevent you from shoving the pipe in too far from either end. Some bulkheads will have them and some won't, just depends on the manufacturer.

And that could very well be your issue, the paint will not bond to the glass strong enough to create a proper seal. You do have it installed correctly with Flange-Gasket-tank-gasket-outer box. So don't worry there.

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure it's installed right... The threaded piece should have the gasket on it first, then pushed through from inside the tank to the outside. The "nut" part of the bulkhead should then be screwed on from the exterior of the tank.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure it's installed right... The threaded piece should have the gasket on it first, then pushed through from inside the tank to the outside. The "nut" part of the bulkhead should then be screwed on from the exterior of the tank.
Yup.

You should be able to replace it with a regular bulkhead from BRS if you wish. That inner edge is basically a plumbing stopper to prevent you from shoving the pipe in too far from either end. Some bulkheads will have them and some won't, just depends on the manufacturer.

And that could very well be your issue, the paint will not bond to the glas strong enough to create a proper seal. You do have it installed correctly with Flange-Gasket-tank-gasket-outer box. So don't worry there.
When trouble shooting last night I must have read “the glass has to be clean” and just mentally blanked that they meant both sides...

thank you for clearing that up for my Josh!

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for an overflow box? Gaskets need to be on the sides there is water. So one on the flange side inside the tank and the other inside the overflow box with the nut. The overflow box should go directly against the glass. That’s how I have mine and only salt creep I get is from the top cover.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for an overflow box? Gaskets need to be on the sides there is water. So one on the flange side inside the tank and the other inside the overflow box with the nut. The overflow box should go directly against the glass. That’s how I have mine and only salt creep I get is from the top cover.
If its not leaking for you, then thats great. But I found this. Now I am losing my mind as I can see a potential for leak if no gasket is on inside of the box too.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one on the flange side inside the tank and the other inside the overflow box with the nut. The overflow box should go directly against the glass.

This is actually wrong. You should not put a gasket on the side with the nut, eventually water will seep between the threads of the nut and out between the box and the tank. The gasket on the nut side will do absolutely nothing to stop this.

The second gasket should always go between the overflow box and the tank itself. This provides the appropriate seal between the two. :)

Glad it seems to be working for you though, you're the first person I've come across to have set it up this way and not have it leak like a sieve.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually wrong. You should not put a gasket on the side with the nut, eventually water will seep between the threads of the nut and out between the box and the tank. The second gasket should always go between the overflow box and the tank itself. This provides the appropriate seal between the two. :)

Glad it seems to be working for you though, you're the first person I've come across to have set it up this way and not have it leak like a sieve.
maxresdefault.jpg

Fiji Cube isn't even sure themselves.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would address this at some point (likely the next time you need to work on plumbing or something). I do tend to agree with Josh that your tank's seal is primarily on the inside of the tank. Having a gasket between the glass and overflow box will also seal your box from any leaks.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So really we have three seals to make with 2 gaskets. I am fairly certain my issue is because I was an idiot and painted when a gasket was making a seal.

I'm feeling the same way, Paint doesn't really form a tight bond on glass and it leaves just that teeny tiny bit of room (and that's all it needs) for Water to wick out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gasket directly under the nut not only serves no useful purpose, but can actually prevent proper torqueing of the nut as the gasket will usually deform.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back