Fin rot while treating with cupramine

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its been day 6, raising the copper and i saw that his fin rot is getting worse. Its a tiny foxface. When i first got him he had some fin rot. I thought that it would heal up as my water quality was good. Im not sure if this is an emergency yet, his fins are going fast though. Hes been going through quarantine great, eating aggressively even in copper. I have some general cure on hand. He doesn’t have any ich or anything like that ive just been using cupramine for preventative measures. Do i just stop the copper and treat with general cure, or just dose it now (with cupramine still in the water), or just leave it be? And will i need more things to heal the fin rot faster other than general cure? I can probably head to the local fish store today if more is needed. Worried, since ive really gotten attached to the little guy. He haven’t realized anything is wrong i think, hes even more active now. Sometimes im not sure if its gettin worse or better, guessing worse. It looked ragged when he first came in, and now its more like bite marks. Is it healing or getting worse?

9DF30938-2216-4873-B7E4-1EA1E5D1AA43.jpeg B8086619-E271-476C-9A8E-4FD48F78841A.jpeg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say for sure so I’ll leave it to more experienced members, but do keep in mind that copper can suppress the fishs’ immune system making it more susceptible to certain kinds of maladies. I’m not sure if that’s the case so I’ll refrain from commenting further.

They’re pretty hardy as far as I understand so barring a worsening of the situation I hope he’ll make it through. Love them and am getting one for my tank though I prefer the One Spot > Foxface Lo (yours) because that black dot or patch looks nice.

Good luck with your little guy! Best to get them smaller (2-4”) so you can see them grow up!

P.S. Judging from his coloration (black areas) he looks stressed from the intensive copper treatment. Maybe do give General Cure a try.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say for sure so I’ll leave it to more experienced members, but do keep in mind that copper can suppress the fishs’ immune system making it more susceptible to certain kinds of maladies. I’m not sure if that’s the case so I’ll refrain from commenting further.

They’re pretty hardy as far as I understand so barring a worsening of the situation I hope he’ll make it through. Love them and am getting one for my tank though I prefer the One Spot > Foxface Lo (yours) because that black dot or patch looks nice.

Good luck with your little guy! Best to get them smaller (2-4”) so you can see them grow up!

P.S. Judging from his coloration (black areas) he looks stressed from the intensive copper treatment. Maybe do give General Cure a try.
goodluck with yours when you get one, ill wait for more replies before completely stopping or starting any treatments then.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin Rot is a bacterial infection. General Cure is for internal parasites, it won't help the Fin Rot. Need antibiotics. Kanaplex, Furan2, or my preferred for slab side fish like Foxfaces, tangs, butterflies, is NFG powder.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin Rot is a bacterial infection. General Cure is for internal parasites, it won't help the Fin Rot. Need antibiotics. Kanaplex, Furan2, or my preferred for slab side fish like Foxfaces, tangs, butterflies, is NFG powder.
oh didnt know that, when i looked it up some people said that it can be used for fin rot. ill get some antibiotics asap, im currently dropping the copper level too. might not be able to get those things in my local fish store though, ill get some online, hope wont be too late. any tips to slow it in the meantime?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of threads to help you. Fin rot is very common during copper treatment as the fish's immune system is being suppressed.

While using copper in the tank, do not use a sulfa-based med like Sulfaplex. A toxic condition can occur.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of threads to help you. Fin rot is very common during copper treatment as the fish's immune system is being suppressed.

While using copper in the tank, do not use a sulfa-based med like Sulfaplex. A toxic condition can occur.

thank you very much, yes ive heard of copper doing this alot. how do i prevent this from happening in the future while treating copper? guess i didnt need to drop the levels after all.... im not in the US so i cant really find nfg so ill use furan2, cant even find kanaplex, metro (not metroplex) i can find though. cant even find focus for internal parasites

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to consider not using copper and using TTM + hydrogen peroxide. It's a lot more work, but almost zero chemicals other than H2O2.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to consider not using copper and using TTM + hydrogen peroxide. It's a lot more work, but almost zero chemicals other than H2O2.

Oh that sound great, didnt want my foxface going through copper again after restarting halfway.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back