Finally got an Apex EL - Feedback

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 6+ years in the hobby, I finally got a Neptune Apex EL. Most compelling reasons to get one for me were:

1. Able to monitor Temp and PH.
  2. Able to get alerts if something goes wrong.
  3. Extra layer of security for ATO and return pump.
  4. Monitor other parameters in the future.
After using the fusion software I do have some feedback (as a Software engineer with lot of front end, web experience), in case Apex is reading this.

1. The out of box settings are kind of outdated. No one uses power strips and mechanical timers to control the light or powerhead timings any more. Most of them rely on the vendor specific controls and templates anyway. It's easier if nothing is pre-configured (except maybe inputs and probes).
  2. The icons are too generic and limited in choice. This is 2021 there are so many icon libraries to choose from. Also I don't know where these icons are visible after we choose them, certainly not on the dashboard.
  3. I wish we had the ability to consume the API on http://apex.local, we can get creative with it :) maybe use RaspberryPI or other devices to display common parameters. I know we can use a tablet etc but that's cumbersome and not practical.
  4. No widgets on Android / iOS and no mobile centric UI too.
Other than that, setup was pretty easy for the most part.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: The icons you mentioned in item# 2 above show up when using the old LCD Display Module, which also explains why the icons are clunky and low-res. The Display is an optional module for the current Apex and Apex-EL, but it used to be standard equipment on the Apex Classic and older models.
Display.jpg

But otherwise, you're right, those icons don't show up anywhere in Fusion or the Apex.local dashboard.

Since you're new to the Apex, take a look at my Apex programming tutorials for tips on custom coding:

OP
OP
Ketan

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I did some custom ON / OFF things with return pumps, ATO and sump levels etc. Will take a look at online tutorials as I go along.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back