My SPS are dying, no clue why!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you blow the corals with a turkey baster in the dip! Inspect for eggs and scrape them off or cut them off.. majority of the time the eggs are near the base with missing flesh or a frag plug..

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you blow the corals with a turkey baster in the dip! Inspect for eggs and scrape them off or cut them off.. majority of the time the eggs are near the base with missing flesh or a frag plug..
I looked for eggs, but I couldn’t find any, which has me concerned bc some of the flat worms were pretty big.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question for you guys, the acros I have left are mostly sickly, and while it would suck to lose them, I wonder if the time and effort put into them is worth the reward of them maybe coming back to being healthy in 6+ months.
Would it be better to just remove the remaining acros I have in an attempt to rid my tank of any and all AEFW that remain?

Honestly I am not looking to try and recover the pieces I have left. Yes I will lose money in it but thats the price I am paying for not dipping new corals. I would rather start today on a road to a healthy tank and rid these unhealthy clinging to life pieces I have left.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question for you guys, the acros I have left are mostly sickly, and while it would suck to lose them, I wonder if the time and effort put into them is worth the reward of them maybe coming back to being healthy in 6+ months.
Would it be better to just remove the remaining acros I have in an attempt to rid my tank of any and all AEFW that remain?

Honestly I am not looking to try and recover the pieces I have left. Yes I will lose money in it but thats the price I am paying for not dipping new corals. I would rather start today on a road to a healthy tank and rid these unhealthy clinging to life pieces I have left.
Only you can really be the judge of that… how many you have, how healthy are they.. is it worth it? Those are only questions you can really answer… you could set up a small tank and frag them from healthy tissue up and dip and place in a separate tank for a couple months while the display goes fallow and then try it again..

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ll echo Lee - put up a small tank and house them there for 5-6 months and do dips every 5 days. Don’t stop dipping so you can break the egg cycle. At 5 months stop dipping and then monitor them for any AEFW for 30-60 more days to make sure you don’t see any. It’s far from easy, though. But way better than throwing in the towel.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp… I setup everything to do a second dip and then try to salvage any pieces..when I pulled out my pieces there was the unmistakable smell of Acro death that now has stained the walls of my home …I knew there was no saving them as they were probably just polluting the tank at this point… I’m SPS-less…

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Other.

Back