My SPS are dying, no clue why!

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be pretty active on here, years ago. Excited to see if some of the OG's are still around. Firstly, thank you for your help in figuring this out!

My Tank is a 29 Gal JBJ Cube with Eshopps Nano Cube Refugium Sump Roughly 33-35 gallons overall.

Parameters are pretty stable (I will provide an apex picture)

Salinity 35ppt
Temp 78
Alk-8.3
Cal-420 range
Mag-1300 ranger
No3- between 5-10ppm it usually hovers around 7ppm Id say.
Po4- usually bounces around between .02-.05
Salt- Fritz RPM
Lighting- Radion xr15 G4 Blue

I took a pretty significant break from reefing, but years ago I was pretty successful growing SPS in a smaller nano tank and several farm style raceway tanks.

However with this tank, I have had issues growing SPS for as long as I have had it. The tank was a running used tank when I bought it and it was packed to the brim with corals, mostly lps and zoas and whatnot, nothing real special but the guy kept it simple for many years and it became very stable and established. I purchased the tank and successfully moved it to my house and ran the tank for several months with no changes and no new corals.
Within the last 8 months I made several modifications over time and added new corals and removed rock etc. Changes are as follows over the course of many months.

Added Neptune Apex and DOS and Trident
Removed Hood and added radion
Added a bunch of sps, occasionally one wouldn't make it, not unusual.
There was some invasive corals that I needed to get rid of because they were spreading and didn't play well with others. Clove polyps and some purple carpeting style coral I forgot the name of was attached to most of the rock.
In preparation I would remove some of the rock a little at a time as well as some of the sandbed. Just a little bit at a time through water changes. I knew I would need to replace the live rock and I had my eyes on some of that reef rock that WWC sells that is man made and stackable with the rod down the middle, so I would take live rock and sand out of the tank and place it into a container I had running with the new rock for probably 3 months before I moved.
Moving day was December last year, The move went great and shortly after I moved everything over to the new place, I took out the rest of the rock that I wanted to and replaced it with the man made reef rock I got from WWC which I was told would not leach anything.

I love the look of the tank and everything appears to thrive in its new home EXCEPT for SPS, I lost most of it, which I contributed to the move and the placement of new rock, I know sps is finicky and the smallest changes can have a bad outcome for them. The only piece I have maintained was a giant WD colony I purchased and colored up. Somehow it has weathered the storm but NOW seems to be declining with other pieces.

I recently did an ICP test and I will post those results, but I don't see anything wrong with the Tank analysis or the RO water analysis.

I do weekly 5 gallon water changes and I feed the 3 fish I have once a day with frozen Mysis. Occasionally I will feed reef roids also.
I am dosing Reef Code A and B for ALK and Cal
I'd like to think my husbandry is pretty good as I work from home about 5 feet away from my tank.

My No3 was pretty high (maybe 12-15ppm) which I thought maybe the rock could be causing somehow, but I did several water changes back to back and was able to get that under control, since then it stays around 5-10ppm and one time I even had to dose KnO3 to bring it back up.

It does not appear to be pests but hell, I have no idea at this point.

MY QUESTION IS
Why are my sps failing? Obviously that is a hard question to answer, but after contacting some friends at Top Shelf Aquatics and asking for help and they really had none to offer, I knew my best chance at figuring this out would be to bring it here.
Hopefully I am not leaving anything out, feel free to ask any question you have!

I will also be posting pics of the corals and tank later, feel free to ask for me to include anything you may be wondering.
1680032598325.png
1680032620787.png
1680032650053.png
1680032699581.png

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

Attachments

• 3381BF55-9FAF-4640-B46D-1C2A6EAAB96B.png
    3381BF55-9FAF-4640-B46D-1C2A6EAAB96B.png
    934.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 214E671B-38B4-4F32-9731-E005BF331B5E.png
    214E671B-38B4-4F32-9731-E005BF331B5E.png
    910.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 5FE92C52-4186-4979-AAF2-DB39238A7E29.png
    5FE92C52-4186-4979-AAF2-DB39238A7E29.png
    938 KB · Views: 114

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks similar to what happened with my system, with the same nutrients. I resolved it by dropping alk to 7-7.5dkh. Couldn't explain why my system hated an alkalinity of 8 or higher.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was before the move, corals we’re doing fine.

Attachments

• F5E2E651-D892-43C9-BFED-5917EA351CAC.jpeg
    F5E2E651-D892-43C9-BFED-5917EA351CAC.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 9116FF6F-B1F6-4721-99E8-1EF917A2B4F9.jpeg
    9116FF6F-B1F6-4721-99E8-1EF917A2B4F9.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 100

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a good way to increase it without increasing no3? Feeding more? What is your No3 at?
My now isn’t a great example because I just upgraded but I generally shoot for 10 - 20 nitrates. The only thing that scares me is 0. I dose NeoPhos and NeoNitro as needed for each.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My now isn’t a great example because I just upgraded but I generally shoot for 10 - 20 nitrates. The only thing that scares me is 0. I dose NeoPhos and NeoNitro as needed for each.
I agree, I went through a period when I first started keeping sps, back when No3 was thought to be best at 0. I started dosing kno3 and had amazing results and have sworn by it ever since!

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what's wrong but I would start by making sure your phosphate is good and 15 ppm for nitrate is not bad IMO. My Nitrate is currently at 25ppm. Maybe dose something like acro power or some kind of amino acid to see if that will help turn things around. I dose aminos and trace elements and I swear it helped my acropora corals to grow

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what's wrong but I would start by making sure your phosphate is good and 15 ppm for nitrate is not bad IMO. Many dose something like acro power or some kind of amino acid to see if that will help turn things around
Thanks for the input, I do dose acropower every few days, sometimes I miss days. I am going to try keeping my nutrients a little higher than I normally would. So maybe around No3-15-20 ppm and Po4- .08-.10 ... I guess I will start there unless anyone else cares to take a stab at it.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I do dose acropower every few days, sometimes I miss days. I am going to try keeping my nutrients a little higher than I normally would. So maybe around No3-15-20 ppm and Po4- .08-.10 ... I guess I will start there unless anyone else cares to take a stab at it.
Hmm you don't nessasaraly have to change your nitrates I just noticed you thought 15 was high and I just I would share where I run mine at. Your light settings didn't get messed up in the move?? Maybe your flow in your tank changed??? One time I had a light mess up and it would turn on at 4am. I was having horrible results with my sps and didn't realize for a month because it was normally on before I woke up. Maybe it's a bacteria thing I just read something about how important bacteria stability is in the reef tank. I had a 20 gallon I was trying grow sps in and it didn't work out, I 100% think it was a bacteria thing as I tested everything and never found a problem. Moved everything to my big tank and Boom everything started recovering. I feel your frustrations dude! I hope you can figure it out. In the meantime maybe you can find someone to babysit your expensive acropora corals until you find your problems.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly wouldn't worry about nitrate at all, as long as you have a measurement, you're fine. But the margin for error in phosphate/phosphorus test kits would mean PO4 is low or near zero, which would be the reason for the decline in the health of the corals. Simply put, your corals are starving. I don't see a source of food for the corals (fish poo), so you're going to have to find a way to "feed" your corals. Again, nitrate isn't a problem, so I would focus of ways of slowly increasing phosphorus to your animals. I also would reduce your lighting intensity a little until you can provide some food for your animals.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm you don't nessasaraly have to change your nitrates I just noticed you thought 15 was high and I just I would share where I run mine at. Your light settings didn't get messed up in the move?? Maybe your flow in your tank changed??? One time I had a light mess up and it would turn on at 4am. I was having horrible results with my sps and didn't realize for a month because it was normally on before I woke up. Maybe it's a bacteria thing I just read something about how important bacteria stability is in the reef tank. I had a 20 gallon I was trying grow sps in and it didn't work out, I 100% think it was a bacteria thing as I tested everything and never found a problem. Moved everything to my big tank and Boom everything started recovering. I feel your frustrations dude! I hope you can figure it out. In the meantime maybe you can find someone to babysit your expensive acropora corals until you find your problems.
Thanks man! I have lost most of them already, just trying to see if anyone on here has any ideas that I haven't thought about yet. I don't think its a lighting thing, I get up regularly at night because I'm in my 30's lol and I never see it on. I did just change out all the wavemakers because I thought maybe it was a flow thing also. I wish I could get a bigger tank, but its just not the right time for that. If I can't figure it out soon I am afraid I will just be breaking it down.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldn't worry about nitrate at all, as long as you have a measurement, you're fine. But the margin for error in phosphate/phosphorus test kits would mean PO4 is low or near zero, which would be the reason for the decline in the health of the corals. Simply put, your corals are starving. I don't see a source of food for the corals (fish poo), so you're going to have to find a way to "feed" your corals. Again, nitrate isn't a problem, so I would focus of ways of slowly increasing phosphorus to your animals. I also would reduce your lighting intensity a little until you can provide some food for your animals.
Thanks for the tip, did I forget to mention I have 3 fish and I feed daily. Should I feed multiple times per day? I know the fish are usually begging anyways.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tip, did I forget to mention I have 3 fish and I feed daily. Should I feed multiple times per day? I know the fish are usually begging anyways.
I'm a huge fan of small frequent feedings throughout the day (if you can?), whether it be auto feeder or by hand. Fish poo is one of the greatest coral foods out there, so adding more fish or feeding (responsibly) is the key to happy and healthy corals (and fish). Just think about how fish eat on the reef, either grazing all day on algae, etc or food comes to them in the form of zooplankton, etc...or for some, actively hunting for food. For fish that depend on food coming to them, you have to be the zooplankton and feed throughout the day. The feeding method of only feeding once a day is severely outdated or for larger predatory fish. Most people freak out over nutrients thinking that controlling them is equal to controlling algae, which is completely wrong and will most likely lead to unhealthy, starving corals. Algae control should be export and herbivores, not low nutrients.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of small frequent feedings throughout the day (if you can?), whether it be auto feeder or by hand. Fish poo is one of the greatest coral foods out there, so adding more fish or feeding (responsibly) is the key to happy and healthy corals (and fish). Just think about how fish eat on the reef, either grazing all day on algae, etc or food comes to them in the form of zooplankton, etc...or for some, actively hunting for food. For fish that depend on food coming to them, you have to be the zooplankton and feed throughout the day. The feeding method of only feeding once a day is severely outdated or for larger predatory fish. Most people freak out over nutrients thinking that controlling them is equal to controlling algae, which is completely wrong and will most likely lead to unhealthy, starving corals. Algae control should be export and herbivores, not low nutrients.
Well said! Thank you! I will try this and see how it works!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back