OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy feeding. Or just dose nitrates slowly every day until it gets where you want. Dosing is the cleanest way. Only reason I dose is if dinos start to show up and I need my nutes to come up
Thanks for this! The algae seems to be waning so I'm going to monitor how it goes. Having said that I don't want any recurrence of the stuff so I might buy the dosing products to have on hand just in case I see any algae again (and low nutrients) that way it can't get a foothold in the future. I need to also beef up my pod squad and snail team. :)

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea for sure. Just make sure you have a good cuc and keep your nitrates and phosphates low but not zero. 5-10ppm / less than .1 respectively. .1 is on the high end of phosphates but better than zero imo. I like to see .02-.06 when I test but up to .1 is acceptable. Every system is different tho, kind of have to find what works for you. The corals will tell you what they like. Take notice of how they look every time you test and you can start to see a correlation.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea for sure. Just make sure you have a good cuc and keep your nitrates and phosphates low but not zero. 5-10ppm / less than .1 respectively. .1 is on the high end of phosphates but better than zero imo. I like to see .02-.06 when I test but up to .1 is acceptable. Every system is different tho, kind of have to find what works for you. The corals will tell you what they like. Take notice of how they look every time you test and you can start to see a correlation.
Thanks for this! I like the idea of seeing how everything looks when I test so I can gauge what levels produce which results. I've been keeping notes regarding my levels but no notes regarding how things are reacting other than the algae outbreak. Haha. I'm really happy that I'm finally up to 0.02 for phos (according to Salifert) but nitrates need work to get them back up (previously was 5ppm) although a good point was made that I probably have some nitrates but API isn't picking it up. When my nutrients tanked and the algae started to take off I had to work on my tank everyday doing removal then it was every two days, now it's every three so things are going in the right direction thank goodness! :)

View Badges
Don't dose with chemicals, just feed more you can dose with food and adjust it to where tank is stable just with maybe a few more flakes or pellets or mysis get them fish to eat and you will be ok

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that the smartest thing I have done so far is that I haven't glued any of my corals down so I can move the frags around as I work to remove the algae. I can also clean the frags easier with a soft toothbrush when I see algae has settled on them. Once this is done and dusted the glue will come out of the drawer. Haha.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back