FINALLY!!

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet 9 lb. baby Jesus I finally did it!!! Took a little over 3 months of constant water changes and cleanings but I finally got my tanks main water parameters just about right. Sweet success lol and the fish seem to be just as excited about this as me. (Now I just need to keep it this way forever =) It's the little things u kno.

20201003_154914.jpg

KRas1014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet 9 lb. baby Jesus I finally did it!!! Took a little over 3 months of constant water changes and cleanings but I finally got my tanks main water parameters just about right. Sweet success lol and the fish seem to be just as excited about this as me. (Now I just need to keep it this way forever =) It's the little things u kno.

20201003_154914.jpg
Nice Job!! Always gotta celebrate the little wins, as it seems like they can be few and far between in this hobby at times lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You know why ??
persistence but not rushing ! You did it the right way !!

congrats12.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! :)

You are right, now comes the task of keep all the parameters within accepted ranges (stability is paramount). Beyond that, as your system progresses take the time daily to carefully observe and gain as thorough an understanding of your reef system and it's inhabitants as possible (no two systems behave in exactly the same way).

Reef aquaria are a great test of patience, but the rewards can be great for those who persevere!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the ammonia reading not yellow / zero

for sure it has green in the reading and no yellow to match zero on the card why is that

the reading is .75 in the pic above for ammonia, mentioned fish are acting fine?

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dead in 3, 2,

even if its been three months and every cycling chart on the planet says its takes a third that long, there you have it above. One portion of Api says no go, your reef progress is now dead stopped in its tracks.

nice nitrate readings tho

my friends are thinking my account has been hacked for sure

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

for sure it has green in the reading and no yellow to match zero on the card why is that

the reading is .75 in the pic above for ammonia, mentioned fish are acting fine?
That is pretty common with the API ammonia test. I don't think I have ever used that ammonia test and have gotten anything but light green. Not saying there isn't ammonia, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was tested with ANY other brand of test kit, that it would be 0.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job and you give me hope! I'm in process of removing sand and enough rock to clean and reset my tank. Will go bare bottom until numbers are where they need to go! Tank pics?
Pics coming soon! Soon as I can figure out how to get all my pics not to look electric blue bc of my lighting haha I'm working on it

Screenshot_20200928-233301_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It never comes out that yellow shade for some reason but I have 2 other test kits and strips just to make sure and they both read zero it's a little strange. But trust me after seeing the ammonia test the darkest green I've ever seen and then the nitrite spike and then nitrate spike in the past month my tank has finally settled. And Yes it did take longer than expected, almost 2 and a half months! But I can see a big difference in the tank and it's such a relief that's over with lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish swimming down low are healthy regarding ammonia burn bc if nh3 control was lacking the gills are red inflamed, no o2 resp, hovers at top dies in a few hours. We must chalk up yet another Api ammonia misread but the other two params look legit. The fact they’ve been weeks doing fine is nice proofing

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back