First Attempt at Hard Plumbing

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but restricting the flow on a durso drain seems like a flood waiting to happen.
Having a durso in the first place seems like a bad idea comparative to other options. That said I work from home and there is someone home 100% of the time at my house so I don't feel too uncomfortable. For me it will be a temporary problem as my wife has given me the go ahead to replace our breakfast bar with a 180. 2 months into the hobby and already planning an upgrade...this may have been a bad idea for my wallet.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but restricting the flow on a durso drain seems like a flood waiting to happen.
I have a basement sump. If the water levels in both the sump and display are correct, the return compartment in the sump will run dry just before the tank overflows. I’ve tested it because this was a fear of mine.

Last night I flooded my living room because I apparently over tightened a spears gate valve when I plumbed it. Won’t make that mistake again.

0B06FD0A-C492-4B7D-AFA1-50CD15422677.jpeg

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like seajay said; The way my sump is set up only a couple gallons could be pumped through if they weren't being replenished by the overflow so it is more likely to ruin my pump from being run dry than it is to overflow.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll agree to disagree.
Ok, but the research has been done. So you can disagree, but the results are readily available if you’d like to learn.

just to be clear, 90s do restrict flow, just not more than using an alternative method to make a 90 degree turn like two 45s or a sweep elbow. It’s a proven fact. The manufacturers of pumps have studied this stuff extensively.

ReefRandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your worried about the restriction of 90s but putting a valve on your return line to restrict it. Putting a restriction on the return is going to increase the head pressure on the pump which will wear it out faster

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your worried about the restriction of 90s but putting a valve on your return line to restrict it. Putting a restriction on the return is going to increase the head pressure on the pump which will wear it out faster
Yeah, I’m not worried about any additional flow reduction either way as I’m trying to dial it back. Just curious and always learning

ReefRandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a different way to controll the flow of the return is to put a t in the line returning to the sump with a valve on it and then adjust how much flow goes to the tank and how much is diverted back to the sump

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a different way to controll the flow of the return is to put a t in the line returning to the sump with a valve on it and then adjust how much flow goes to the tank and how much is diverted back to the sump
Interesting. So that way you still restrict flow to the tank but don’t build up head pressure that can cause the pump to wear out quicker? Would the valve then go off the side going back into the sump and just kept closer to being shut?

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome idea. Thanks. I think I’m going to try to make that work. The flow back into the sump should be a lot lower so I’ll just need to play around with how to place that second line. Room is a factor so maybe I’ll reduce it down to 3/4 inches and have it feed under the water line in the main compartment where the skimmer is.

ReefRandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reducing it before the valve should make it easier to find a valve 3/4 gate valve is more common than a 1 inch one

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KInd of the way I intended mine to work in the future. I run This pump my display is a 65 gallon. A bit overkill at the moment so I have it running at half powerwith the ball valve wide open. I have another t and 3/4 nipple in my parts box to add a reactor if needed in the future. figured I could just turn up the pump and close the valve partialy to force backpressure to the reactor if needed in the future. The gate valve on my overflow was to tune the gurgle out which only required a half turn on it (barely any movment/restriction).

Back