First tank

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first saltwater tank. It's been up for about 3 months. Fish I have a pair of phantom clowns, a pinkbared goby who bonded with a bullseye shrimp, and a Lubbock fairy wrase (I think that's what it is). I just stocked it with some coral and kinda wanted your guys thoughts on it. Coral is a frog spawn, candy cane coral green star, magicians polyp, red leather coral, and a (??) I added a picture of the mystery coral with the tank photos if you know what it's called let me know I cant remember. The large shelf across the back I was gonna use for higher light required corals but my wife said she wanted the green star there. I kinda want to see how what I have now fills in before adding more corals but i would like a blastomussa or 2 on the bottom and maybe a challace on the highest pile. Maybe some zoas on what I call the teddy bear branch at the front if I move it off the arch (I hate the arch my wife wanted it) this is a 28gal jbj nano I'm hoping in a few years to get a 200 gal this tank is me trying to talk the qife into letting me have a large tank. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.
20181006_094046.jpeg
20181006_094131.jpeg
20181006_094059.jpeg
20181006_094217.jpeg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

100.jpg

2 things I want to mention.

1. You are going to find out that having rock that close to the glass is going to be a PITA to clean the glass. Usually you want to leave enough room for the mag cleaner to get by.

2. GSP will take over if you are not careful with it. I like to suggest that you give it it's own rock island so you can keep it in check. If not, it is hard to get off the rock, but if it grows over the sand you can trim it with a knife or even scissors.

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

100.jpg

2 things I want to mention.

1. You are going to find out that having rock that close to the glass is going to be a PITA to clean the glass. Usually you want to leave enough room for the mag cleaner to get by.

2. GSP will take over if you are not careful with it. I like to suggest that you give it it's own rock island so you can keep it in check. If not, it is hard to get off the rock, but if it grows over the sand you can trim it with a knife or even scissors.
I'd originally planned on growing the gsp on the back glass so I didn't have to fight it. I may try to talk the wife into letting me turn the "teddy bear" branch into the gsp island. Not sure where I'd put zoas then but I'll figure something out. I've already learned the pain in the but the glass cleaning is with the rock. Will just have to deal with it but was going to learn that lesson for my large tank. I think I'll spend more time planning my aquascape next time before cycle.

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update the gsp j moved to the same bed on your guys advice. I'm gonna have to find a spot for it or abandon half of it isn't extending now I'm thinking to much flow in that spot. I try not to be putting my hands in the tank more than I have to
If it looks like its getting worse I'll move it. Till then I have till Sunday. I do a weekly water change and for now has been halftime for morning football games. My parameters are currently ph 8.0 amonia .25 or lower nitrate 10ppm phosphate .w5 salinity 1.026 ca 400 mg/l dkh 11. Anything standing out as bad? It's been pretty constant for about a month with a slight salinity increase from last week

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back