First Time Plumbing Help

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, the silicone tubing was a concern of mine, I'll shorten it.

Regarding the secondary going into the roller mat along with the primary, wouldn't that defeat the point of the Bean Animal's redundancy and create a single point of failure?

Also for the durso standpipe in the overflow I understand you're saying it's not needed but is there any disadvantage to using one?
No, it will be fine. The water will overflow in the filter, if the filter has a failure. Using a Durso in the bean should not be a problem, only maybe a little harder to tune. But looking at yours you are going to have two siphons very close to each other, they may fight each other and have a hard time starting.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you put on the secondary pipe? Just a vent/cover the same as the main siphon?

Sorry for all the questions, it just so happens that i am setting up some also at the moment :) !
1693300304054.png
I run my secondary open with the water just trickle over the top

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I plan to use some galvanized pipe strap to support the three drain lines once everything is glued.

Regarding the return gate valve, I've tested turning it while the tank is against the wall and it's pretty easy to reach and turn.
If you can swing it, I bought myself a few of these brackets and you should too.
Very cool. Metal strap is going to rust and become gross. Maybe you can get them to work for you.

I'm going to screw them right into the PVC board my tank sits on with short screws.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the plumbing plan is pretty good, but the are a few adjustments I might suggest

1 - the main drain line could use a small angle here.
We have a very similar setup on our system, in that we are using the same overflow box and have a horizontal run on the drain pipes.

One of the issue we ran into was air getting trapped int the line several hindering the pipes ability to drain water. To fix that, we put a slight angle on that horizontal run, so as to allow air to want to travel back up toward the drain. doesn't have to be much, but just a slight angle, maybe 3 to 5 degrees

1693406662783.png

2 - Secure the pipes
Especially the secondary and emergency drains, sine they are not actually attached to anything. the main drain is likly OK, since it connected and anchored at top and bottom, but securing it too, wouldn't hurt, and could onyl help.

3 - OK, so a shameless pitch :upside-down-face: - Whats you plan for the return nozzle?
Looks likee you have a SICCE pump in there (good choice) and judging by the size it is likly a 5.0 ? If it is, and base don the fa you have a single inlet coming in for the right, I would recommend 3/4in Random Flow Generator® pointed diaganly across the tank.

At the 800-1000GPH that pump will be able to deliver to the outlet, combined with a 3/4in RFG, you won't even need a power head

1693407582768.jpeg
We have a kit that includes everything you need (RFG, Loc-Line and Bulkhead fitting) and works with both slip and threaded bulkheads - although it looks best on a slip bulkhead

If its a smaller pump (say a sicce 3.0) then go with a single 1/2in RFG

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think the plumbing plan is pretty good, but the are a few adjustments I might suggest

1 - the main drain line could use a small angle here.
We have a very similar setup on our system, in that we are using the same overflow box and have a horizontal run on the drain pipes.

One of the issue we ran into was air getting trapped int the line several hindering the pipes ability to drain water. To fix that, we put a slight angle on that horizontal run, so as to allow air to want to travel back up toward the drain. doesn't have to be much, but just a slight angle, maybe 3 to 5 degrees

1693406662783.png

2 - Secure the pipes
Especially the secondary and emergency drains, sine they are not actually attached to anything. the main drain is likly OK, since it connected and anchored at top and bottom, but securing it too, wouldn't hurt, and could onyl help.

3 - OK, so a shameless pitch :upside-down-face: - Whats you plan for the return nozzle?
Looks likee you have a SICCE pump in there (good choice) and judging by the size it is likly a 5.0 ? If it is, and base don the fa you have a single inlet coming in for the right, I would recommend 3/4in Random Flow Generator® pointed diaganly across the tank.

At the 800-1000GPH that pump will be able to deliver to the outlet, combined with a 3/4in RFG, you won't even need a power head

1693407582768.jpeg
We have a kit that includes everything you need (RFG, Loc-Line and Bulkhead fitting) and works with both slip and threaded bulkheads - although it looks best on a slip bulkhead

If its a smaller pump (say a sicce 3.0) then go with a single 1/2in RFG
I use these and like them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back