OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
With water changes- Are you equalizing temperature and salinity ?
Yes RODI water, warm water overnight, add salt let mix the next night, keep water warm before doing WC. The same way I’ve done it multiple times with no issues.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m back to share my turmoil and maybe get some support again from you all. My tank was doing great after my last post regarding treating my tank with copper and raising salinity. I had done a few water changes after my copper treatment and copper was down low to a 0.69 ppm. All the fish were great and eating well, healthy etc. I was so busy with work I couldn’t do a water change for around 5 weeks. The fish were eating and swimming fine but my tank didn’t look very good. So on Friday I did a normal water change (40 gallons), my RedSea wavemakers were reallly dirty with low flow so decided to follow the Citric acid method and clean all my powerheads including mp40s. I kept them in clean water overnight and also rinsed well. Suddenly my naso tang wasn’t looking right and died the next day. Within the span of a few days I’ve lost several fish. I removed the wavemakers and rinsed again thinking there might have been Risidue on them and did another 50 gallon water change last night. My tests were all normal for my tank, no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates around 40 which has always been my case. I could not figure out what was causing my fish to die suddenly until I read about disturbing sand bed as if it’s not moved weekly can store toxic gases and toxic nutrients? I did see some bubbles on the side of my tank with the red and green algae on the bottom corners of tank but I cleaned and scrubbed to remove them. I removed all my live rock, and moved my sand bed to evenly distribute the sand, for some reason my sand moves all over the place leaving some spots that show the tank floor. Is wit possible for the sand bed to kill so many fish. I don’t have any sand sifting fish so the sand is only moved by the pumps. I found two fish stuck to my mp40s not sure if they were weak or just got pulled in? Any suggestions or any information is greatly appreciated? Should I move my sand around weekly? Get a goby? On my LFS guys insistence I retreated the tank with copper currently reading 1.98 ppm with copper power he believed the sand could have released some ich eggs or something I don’t believe so because the fish that died was so fast and none of them were sick of showing any signs of prolonged illness. I added the copper in hopes of a remedy before I read about the sand beds. Please help me find what’s going on. Thank you.
Current fish that just died.

Attachments

• E231E9C5-1888-460B-AED4-4D99F76156CD.jpeg
    E231E9C5-1888-460B-AED4-4D99F76156CD.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes RODI water, warm water overnight, add salt let mix the next night, keep water warm before doing WC. The same way I’ve done it multiple times with no issues.
Pic of Birdnose that I had for a longtime healthy until the first WC after which I had problems the gills are a different color so indicates some but not sure what the problem is

Attachments

• 1A092F72-F02D-4A9C-BDA2-9C52117AFE3D.jpeg
    1A092F72-F02D-4A9C-BDA2-9C52117AFE3D.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 94

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of random do you have any plug in air freshener’s near the tank or has there recently been any household cleaning chemicals used near the tank ??

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are pulling out the fish after they die right?
Yea as soon as I see them which sometimes may be some time due to work. I’m mixing some more water right now. Will be putting them on a big Rubbermaid container which I use to acclimate them. Can I use my mp40 powerhead in there? How many days can I keep them in there before their waste makes the water dirty. Also what do I do with the tank?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pull those fish out, either they have a disease that you can’t stop tonight and they won’t make it or something in the water is killing them and they need to get moved.

But I’m not an expert, @vetteguy53081 or @Jay Hemdal?
Yes I’m mixing water right now not sure how long before it’s ready luckily I had it warming up since this morning. I’m so worried for my tank, I finally had it running nicely and now suddenly because of my stupid mistake all my fish are dying! The f is going on!!!

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m mixing water right now not sure how long before it’s ready luckily I had it warming up since this morning. I’m so worried for my tank, I finally had it running nicely and now suddenly because of my stupid mistake all my fish are dying! The f is going on!!!
I think your options are let it lie fallow for a couple months or do a rip clean, @brandon429 can help you with that. If it is disease, jay or vette or someone will have to help you.

as long as you have enough liverock and change water often, they can be in the Rubbermaid for a bit, just aerate well

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your options are let it lie fallow for a couple months or do a rip clean, @brandon429 can help you with that. If it is disease, jay or vette or someone will have to help you.

as long as you have enough liverock and change water often, they can be in the Rubbermaid for a bit, just aerate well
Once your fish are out of display, make certain you shake your rocks out really well so you aren’t carrying the dust and detritus over with them

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tested the ammonia was low, green on the api test tubes.
I do have ammonia. Is that that high to kill so many fish? Typically my ammonia is always near zero so never had an ammonia issue. Shoul I do WC or remove the fish from the tank. I have a large tank so am worries trying to catch the fish will stress them out even more. What should I do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 87

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have ammonia. Is that that high to kill so many fish? Typically my ammonia is always near zero so never had an ammonia issue. Shoul I do WC or remove the fish from the tank. I have a large tank so am worries trying to catch the fish will stress them out even more. What should I do
How many fish and how big a tank?

If you have been having ammonia spikes it definitely can, but I don’t really have any experience with that

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m back to share my turmoil and maybe get some support again from you all. My tank was doing great after my last post regarding treating my tank with copper and raising salinity. I had done a few water changes after my copper treatment and copper was down low to a 0.69 ppm. All the fish were great and eating well, healthy etc. I was so busy with work I couldn’t do a water change for around 5 weeks. The fish were eating and swimming fine but my tank didn’t look very good. So on Friday I did a normal water change (40 gallons), my RedSea wavemakers were reallly dirty with low flow so decided to follow the Citric acid method and clean all my powerheads including mp40s. I kept them in clean water overnight and also rinsed well. Suddenly my naso tang wasn’t looking right and died the next day. Within the span of a few days I’ve lost several fish. I removed the wavemakers and rinsed again thinking there might have been Risidue on them and did another 50 gallon water change last night. My tests were all normal for my tank, no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates around 40 which has always been my case. I could not figure out what was causing my fish to die suddenly until I read about disturbing sand bed as if it’s not moved weekly can store toxic gases and toxic nutrients? I did see some bubbles on the side of my tank with the red and green algae on the bottom corners of tank but I cleaned and scrubbed to remove them. I removed all my live rock, and moved my sand bed to evenly distribute the sand, for some reason my sand moves all over the place leaving some spots that show the tank floor. Is wit possible for the sand bed to kill so many fish. I don’t have any sand sifting fish so the sand is only moved by the pumps. I found two fish stuck to my mp40s not sure if they were weak or just got pulled in? Any suggestions or any information is greatly appreciated? Should I move my sand around weekly? Get a goby? On my LFS guys insistence I retreated the tank with copper currently reading 1.98 ppm with copper power he believed the sand could have released some ich eggs or something I don’t believe so because the fish that died was so fast and none of them were sick of showing any signs of prolonged illness. I added the copper in hopes of a remedy before I read about the sand beds. Please help me find what’s going on. Thank you.
I bought a tank that was set up for ~ 5 months. I just recently, a week or two ago, removed the sand because I didn't like it. I did it in one go. So far no issues.

I then put half a bag of AF Bio Sand straight into the tank without using the bacteria bottles it come with. Of course, I rinsed with RO water prior. The other half will just sit as it's too much Sand for my 22.4 Fiji Cube.

Sand exposing the bottom of the tank? Too much flow hitting that particular spot.

Take what you'd like from this.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just remove the sand? Go bare bottom?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back