Fish Dying

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t think it was aggression by any other fish because the only fish I have left are my old ones and I’ve had them since the beginning of my tank, they’ve never exhibited aggression till date. I’m not as knowledgeable as others here but for some reason I just have a gut feeling that’s it’s not ICH or disease but something to do with my water parameters or water chemistry. Not sure if maybe the copper leached into the sand from the last copper treatment or somehow the no water change for over a month dropped the water quality and I can’t seem to detect something in the tests. This is my plan as of the moment. I’ve always had a white cloud even when my fish were healthy, apparently that’s not very good. I got some finer felt socks 100 micron, media pads for clarifying water (the white polishing pad), phosphates pad, and nitrates pad. I will add purigen which I don’t have at the moment but generally do, carbon which I took out due to the copper I had added last week and I just purchased Chemipure which I will be adding to tank as well. I’m going to do weekly water changes for a month to get the water clarity up. I’ll update this forum after a month or so. What do you think of the plan?
Looking at body of fish, as stated, could be cleaner crew that too caused it. As for water, also mentioned was mouth open suggesting low oxygen and yes associated with water quality.
Copper together with sand and rock is a no-no and is a possibility. How are you testing water quality and if copper suspected, try doing a one gallon exchange per day for 10-14 days. You will remove any traces of copper, lower any toxic levels and increase clarity.
What you plan on doing sounds good, but dont rely on pads, socks and media to do all the work

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at body of fish, as stated, could be cleaner crew that too caused it. As for water, also mentioned was mouth open suggesting low oxygen and yes associated with water quality.
Copper together with sand and rock is a no-no and is a possibility. How are you testing water quality and if copper suspected, try doing a one gallon exchange per day for 10-14 days. You will remove any traces of copper, lower any toxic levels and increase clarity.
What you plan on doing sounds good, but dont rely on pads, socks and media to do all the work
Sorry what do you mean, what else should I focus on apart from keeping water quality clean? I’m using the api kits so only testing ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. What should be ideal ph? I will be getting a better test kit soon. Do a one gallon exchange after my Hannah tester tests zero for copper? I just added copper last week so I don’t know exact amount but I know there’s probably copper still there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back