Fish Dying

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s up to you what you want to do, Brandon is a fan of bare bottom tanks. I am trying out the RUGF, lots of people just have regular tanks and do fine. Maybe do some research and see what you want to try. My fish tank as of tonight (sorry for the poor lighting, new fish went in yesterday and trying to keep it low stress for the first day):

image.jpg
image.jpg

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just remove the sand? Go bare bottom?
IMO bare bottom just makes life so much easier. Run as much flow as you want, nothing to trap detritus, and no time spent trying to keep the sand looking pretty. Having said all that I kind of lean towards what others have said I don’t think the sand was necessarily the issue here. Hopefully you get it sorted out and sorry for your losses I know it can be frustrating!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a rip clean of my tank, moved it, and put in a Reverse under gravel filter (emphasis on Reverse). It keeps the sand aerated and cleaner. Paul B has it on his 3,000 year old tank

5FAD1204-FF4C-44B1-8EB6-E1AB516AECDC.jpeg
A60FECF2-5928-4066-BA4E-6BAAF29E856D.jpeg
0BC97A01-DEC0-4240-BD57-CAE7F8EACA7C.jpeg
DC262DE3-1424-4FF4-BA23-94C9B9B7B177.jpeg
C3AAB1D2-257C-471E-A1C2-8BC824EF1FC2.jpeg
I’m curious to know more about this under gravel reverse filter .
Years ago they were popular with deep sand beds.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to know more about this under gravel reverse filter .
Years ago they were popular with deep sand beds.
Getting into developing my own philosophy of the hobby, I kept coming across Paul B and a couple other guys with it. I think it generally is used more by people who don’t quarantine and focus more on nature and biodiversity but I could be wrong. I decided to try going that route to see how it worked and I only got around to installing it yesterday late. Basically instead of having your return pump into the tank, it pumps into the cryptic space under the filter and comes up through the sand, aerating it. Paul claims it really helps with creatures living and thriving in the substrate so we will see where it goes in my tank. I figure at the very least it will help keep it detritus free.

It needs a slow flow rate too, 3-4x roughly, although the pump I got is too close to max head height so I think I’m getting 1-2x currently. I am planning to do a budget build thread on my tank at some point soon and if I remember I’ll tag you in it

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m mixing water right now not sure how long before it’s ready luckily I had it warming up since this morning. I’m so worried for my tank, I finally had it running nicely and now suddenly because of my stupid mistake all my fish are dying! The f is going on!!!
Just did a WC because I didn’t want to stress out the fish by pulling them out. One fish was breathing heavily so I did an immediate WC. We’ll have to wait till the morning hopefully he’ll make it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is obviously a water chemistry issue with elevated ammonia levels rapidly killing fish. Add airstone, increase water surface ripple, continue water changes. Identify what triggered the ammonia spike by systematically checking your filtration and ensuring your tank was not overstocked. Algae blooms can trigger toxicity in the water. Wet skim and run carbon too. The gill injuries are probably ammonia burns.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting into developing my own philosophy of the hobby, I kept coming across Paul B and a couple other guys with it. I think it generally is used more by people who don’t quarantine and focus more on nature and biodiversity but I could be wrong. I decided to try going that route to see how it worked and I only got around to installing it yesterday late. Basically instead of having your return pump into the tank, it pumps into the cryptic space under the filter and comes up through the sand, aerating it. Paul claims it really helps with creatures living and thriving in the substrate so we will see where it goes in my tank. I figure at the very least it will help keep it detritus free.

It needs a slow flow rate too, 3-4x roughly, although the pump I got is too close to max head height so I think I’m getting 1-2x currently. I am planning to do a budget build thread on my tank at some point soon and if I remember I’ll tag you in it
Sounds great .
ill Follow along

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is obviously a water chemistry issue with elevated ammonia levels rapidly killing fish. Add airstone, increase water surface ripple, continue water changes. Identify what triggered the ammonia spike by systematically checking your filtration and ensuring your tank was not overstocked. Algae blooms can trigger toxicity in the water. Wet skim and run carbon too. The gill injuries are probably ammonia burns.
I did a 45 gallon WC after the fish started dying on Sunday. I did another 60 gallon WC last night, ensured powerheads were on during the change, used a bucket to minimized any sand disruptions, I have a total 200 gallon system. Two more fish died this morning. I’m losing my head on what’s going on!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 45 gallon WC after the fish started dying on Sunday. I did another 60 gallon WC last night, ensured powerheads were on during the change, used a bucket to minimized any sand disruptions, I have a total 200 gallon system. Two more fish died this morning. I’m losing my head on what’s going on!!
Ammonia can build up much faster than people think. I’ve seen tanks where even daily 100% water changes failed to manage it. I’m not saying it for sure is ammonia, but I think that is something you do want to rule out (using a non-api test).
Jay

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia can build up much faster than people think. I’ve seen tanks where even daily 100% water changes failed to manage it. I’m not saying it for sure is ammonia, but I think that is something you do want to rule out (using a non-api test).
Jay
What test kit do you suggest?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
If I completely change all my filters in the filter container and new filter socks along with large water changes would that work against the ammonia or should I remove the sand? What can I do to fix this? I have new filters and filter socks coming in.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your original post you talk about removing all your powerheads overnight to clean them. Night is when 02 levels drop and without water movement 02 drops even more. So fish start dying which can trigger ammonia. This action was combined with your statement that you removed all your rocks and scrubbed them. This kills off your nitrifying bacteria and stops your cycle resulting in ammonia

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I completely change all my filters in the filter container and new filter socks along with large water changes would that work against the ammonia or should I remove the sand? What can I do to fix this? I have new filters and filter socks coming in.
You will find it best to rely on beneficial bacteria to control ammonia. Changing filter socks and removing sand will remove much of this beneficial bacteria. Limiting biomass (including uneaten food), water changes and adding bacteria cultures are all needed to manage ammonia. In emergencies, you can use Amquel to detoxify the ammonia. Water with a lower pH also has less toxic ammonia in it.
Jay

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your original post you talk about removing all your powerheads overnight to clean them. Night is when 02 levels drop and without water movement 02 drops even more. So fish start dying which can trigger ammonia. This action was combined with your statement that you removed all your rocks and scrubbed them. This kills off your nitrifying bacteria and stops your cycle resulting in ammonia
I did remove the powerheads over night the only thing running was my tanks pump. I had rinsed the rocks and put them back in the night. I didn’t realize that these small steps would have such a big issue. Anything you can suggest? Do I need to restart my tank, remove the sand or keep doing WC’s. I’m so lost.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m back to share my turmoil and maybe get some support again from you all. My tank was doing great after my last post regarding treating my tank with copper and raising salinity. I had done a few water changes after my copper treatment and copper was down low to a 0.69 ppm. All the fish were great and eating well, healthy etc. I was so busy with work I couldn’t do a water change for around 5 weeks. The fish were eating and swimming fine but my tank didn’t look very good. So on Friday I did a normal water change (40 gallons), my RedSea wavemakers were reallly dirty with low flow so decided to follow the Citric acid method and clean all my powerheads including mp40s. I kept them in clean water overnight and also rinsed well. Suddenly my naso tang wasn’t looking right and died the next day. Within the span of a few days I’ve lost several fish. I removed the wavemakers and rinsed again thinking there might have been Risidue on them and did another 50 gallon water change last night. My tests were all normal for my tank, no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates around 40 which has always been my case. I could not figure out what was causing my fish to die suddenly until I read about disturbing sand bed as if it’s not moved weekly can store toxic gases and toxic nutrients? I did see some bubbles on the side of my tank with the red and green algae on the bottom corners of tank but I cleaned and scrubbed to remove them. I removed all my live rock, and moved my sand bed to evenly distribute the sand, for some reason my sand moves all over the place leaving some spots that show the tank floor. Is wit possible for the sand bed to kill so many fish. I don’t have any sand sifting fish so the sand is only moved by the pumps. I found two fish stuck to my mp40s not sure if they were weak or just got pulled in? Any suggestions or any information is greatly appreciated? Should I move my sand around weekly? Get a goby? On my LFS guys insistence I retreated the tank with copper currently reading 1.98 ppm with copper power he believed the sand could have released some ich eggs or something I don’t believe so because the fish that died was so fast and none of them were sick of showing any signs of prolonged illness. I added the copper in hopes of a remedy before I read about the sand beds. Please help me find what’s going on. Thank you.
Can anyone suggest anything? I can’t be the only one who’s had such an issue how do you fix this?!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone suggest anything? I can’t be the only one who’s had such an issue how do you fix this?!
I believe a lot of us have been there but because it happened so fast we don’t take the time to process what could have caused the issue . But started grabbing buckets to to remove rocks or live fish as fast as possible .In the same time we’re starting to mix enough water for a large percentage water change

the best thing I believe is to remove living fish and put into a new qt tank with only water and filtration
Leaving out rocks or any decor for that few mins .
if there is any toxin killing fish that fast I doubt our hobby grade kits will be able to test .

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did remove the powerheads over night the only thing running was my tanks pump. I had rinsed the rocks and put them back in the night. I didn’t realize that these small steps would have such a big issue. Anything you can suggest? Do I need to restart my tank, remove the sand or keep doing WC’s. I’m so lost.
What are your current levels today for ammonia, alk and salinity and temp?

What does your complete filtration system consist of?

How many fish do you have left in the tank? If you showed ammonia levels, I would add nitrifying bacteria to your tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dying fish is the only thing that runs up ammonia in a running display tank. If you don’t have fish rotting inside, you don’t have ammonia non control

ammonia does not rise first, to cause the fish kill, theres no biological mechanism that allows that in a running display

ammonia can rise uncontrollably in a low surface area quarantine setup however.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia does not come from a sandbed. A non digital test kit may claim there’s ammonia concern, but it’s not true if it’s a display with no fish rotting inside. I have threads where years old tanks suddenly claim to be in ammonia distress, with no causative, simply because api said eight ppm one day out of the blue.

false cycle concerns always distract from disease and vectoring issues. I agree sandbed disturbing can kill fish, we see it a few times a year in posts, but it’s not via ammonia. The causative is yet to be discovered in the hobby. Nobody running a calibrated seneye has charted ammonia noncontrol in a reef display outside of a prior fish kill before the rise. All claims for ammonia noncontrol in display reefing come from api and Red Sea - like kits, cheap ones. There’s too much surface area + motion in a reef display to make the able rocks unable on a whim. Ruling out ammonia allows the reefer to chase what really matters

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I just reviewed your post history and honestly, I think you started out with more then you were ready for. Almost 2 years ago, you got your very first saltwater tank which is a Red Sea XL750. This is a large tank which requires established knowledge of salt water systems and reef keeping. You immediately started adding expensive non QT fish which subsequently led to a number of posts where you are having difficulty maintaining water quality and have all of your fish dying of ich. There are probably 10 threads where you are experiencing major difficulty with your tank and your fish.

We all welcome you to the hobby and want you to be successful but you need to take a bunch of steps backwards and educate yourself to the ins and outs of the hobby before you start filling that tank up again with fish. I doubt you ever did a fallow period after your first ich experience and that led to subsequent ich experiences and trying hyposalinity followed by treating your whole tank with copper, Your tank will now not be able to support inverts (cleaning crew) or corals because of the copper absorbed into rocks and sand.

Try your best to save your remaining fish by putting them into QT tanks and let your main tank sit fallow for 6 to 8 weeks to hopefully clear out the ich. You can try some media to absorb the copper out of it also.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back