Fixing an EB832 with non-functional outlets but does have functional indicator lights

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some images of the boards. The top one is new and the bottom is the failed one. The second image is the package.

Before I get started, is this the correct power supply?

Attachments

• 20221001_155602.jpg
    20221001_155602.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221001_155632.jpg
    20221001_155632.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 45

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a somewhat complicated installation utilizing 6 Energybars. Last night ,with the briefest flicker of the lights, I lost my 9th EB832 in 5 years…

This thread has been a blessing!
91467086-040D-4D4F-8844-9F5DE07E8213.jpeg

Glad to see Neptune Systems has finally stepped up and replaced the PSU. Does anyone know if the underlying circuit board was changed? Are the Meanwell supplies a direct replacement for the older boards.

Thanks again @MadeForThat For starting this thread!
I have 3 EB832's. I'm in the process of fixing/upgrading them and I found that one of them did have a Meanwell PSU. I don't know if the board was revised to handle it and I doubt you'll find Neptune will clear this up for us.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question. Can a failed psu be repaired just by replacing the caps?
Yes, if the only thing wrong with the psu is the caps, they can be replaced.
I have 3 EB832's. I'm in the process of fixing/upgrading them and I found that one of them did have a Meanwell PSU. I don't know if the board was revised to handle it and I doubt you'll find Neptune will clear this up for us.
Look at post #1. The psu is even with the top of the board and a bit away from the right side.
Now look at post #79. You can see that the new psu is even with the right side of the board but down a bit from the top.
You can also see that the white marker lines on the board have been shifted.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy to see that the replacement EB832 (MNF 12/2021) has a Meanwell PSU, Part# IRM-05-12. The Meanwell has a lower output rating than the Noyito (.42A vs .5A), but I assume no-name PSU ratings are inflated and that the Meanwell will perform much better over time.

I might apply a conformal coating to the back of the 24v PSU as well as the cooling fan PCB. Between the Meanwell PSU and conformal coating, I will have a bullet-proof EB832!

tempImagekUg3Ud.jpg

I may have missed it (apologies) but did you have to modify anything to get the new MW supply to work? Or is it a direct swap?

Curious as I'm thinking I may upgrade two of my older ones with the new MW kit. I did a search but the images did not show the bottom only the top so not sure.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it (apologies) but did you have to modify anything to get the new MW supply to work? Or is it a direct swap?

Curious as I'm thinking I may upgrade two of my older ones with the new MW kit. I did a search but the images did not show the bottom only the top so not sure.
The EB832 with a meanwell is a newer PCB version and design from Neptune Systems. The meanwell power supply is not directly compatible with the older PCB and will not solder in place- you would need to run little jumper wires to connect it *off* the PCB.

If you want to improve the reliability of the older EB832, upgrade the capacitors or just regularly replace the 12v supply.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The EB832 with a meanwell is a newer PCB version and design from Neptune Systems. The meanwell power supply is not directly compatible with the older PCB and will not solder in place- you would need to run little jumper wires to connect it *off* the PCB.

If you want to improve the reliability of the older EB832, upgrade the capacitors or just regularly replace the 12v supply.

Ah - thanks. I didn't catch that information with regards to the PCB change. Good information. Thanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my original 832 have now failed in this way. They’re sitting in a closet somewhere waiting for me to have the time to attempt this fix.

Dogger62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 of the EB8-32's on my system. One failed about a year ago and another just failed. Now I have a recent one with the MW PSU and I cannot even get fusion to acknowledge it so what can this be? Surely with all the failing 832's someone has come across this. No lights other than logo. Just a click once plugged in. Three Aquabus plugged in and one 24v. The other that just failed has the buck convertor. Amazon has none so I just ordered a couple from China. Thanks for this thread.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 of the EB8-32's on my system. One failed about a year ago and another just failed. Now I have a recent one with the MW PSU and I cannot even get fusion to acknowledge it so what can this be? Surely with all the failing 832's someone has come across this. No lights other than logo. Just a click once plugged in. Three Aquabus plugged in and one 24v. The other that just failed has the buck convertor. Amazon has none so I just ordered a couple from China. Thanks for this thread.
Nope, not the 12v PSU for sure. Because (a) it's a MW PSU and (b) you can hear clicks.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As you know, the China 12v power supplies are pretty low quality and fail again in around 2 years.

For a more permanent solution it’s worth doing AV’s capacitor upgrade instead, or upgrading to a meanwell power supply.

IMG_6203.jpeg

Dogger62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it never got wet. The one with the Meanwell PSU was mounted on a Adaptive reef board in my 900 3XL and the other is still on the wall in the water room mounted 7' aff. This one I continue to use for the 24V. Waiting on board from China. The one with the Meanwell is not giving me anything other than illuminating the logo.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it never got wet. The one with the Meanwell PSU was mounted on an Adaptive reef board in my 900 3XL and the other is still on the wall in the water room mounted 7' aff. This one I continue to use for the 24V. Waiting on board from China. The one with the Meanwell is not giving me anything other than illuminating the logo.
Most likely a bad solder joint on the new board replacement.. I just got one to fix and the person who tried to repair it before didn’t de-solder very well and ripped the copper cable inside the board so it wasn’t making a connection.. I had to make a bridge with a small piece of solder to connect it back to the pin on the meanwell driver then it all worked correctly.

Back